questions regarding the purchase of a used BX25D

Mac740

Equipment
BX25D Loader, Backhoe, Forks
Nov 8, 2021
Ohio
Hello everybody! I am new here and new a soon to be new Kubota owner. I wanted to ask here first before I buy a used tractor. I am looking at a 2014 BX25D with a FEL and a BH with a thumb and forks attachment. No mower. It has 90 hours on it. One owner and has always been kept inside. The BH has never been in the dirt. The asking price is $18,900. Does this seem like a good deal? Should I be concerned about the age? Would gaskets or anything wear out just from being old? The owner said he has changed the oil and kept it greased but just never really needed it and is getting up in age so he wants to sell it. Thanks for any advice in advance.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geez - - - I hope 7 years isn't "getting up there in age," but get your point.

90 hours is nothing.

Have you seen this in person? Is it a craigslist ad?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a year older of the same model - with a "few" more hours on it ;)

These tractors new sold for about that price - so you are not getting a "deal" as of yet.

However - with the thumb and forks - those are bonuses.

The fact that getting anything new is like a finding a needle in the proverbial haystack you may just want to have the cash in hand and start counting it off to the old owner. To me - the price is a bit high - I would offer 17K and see how that works and then creep up. The machine is worth every penny of the 18.9 K but if used machine were not so high now you may have success with a lower price - but used are almost as expensive as new!

WITH 90 hours - has it had a HST filter replaced? I would really "demand" the maintenance paperwork if he has it. With 90 hours that machine is barely broken in, still a newbie!

AS for gaskets - all of those are fine!

IF/when you buy - first thing ..... get a set of rear spacers, 2" would be perfect, especially since you do not have a MMM!

Second thing (maybe more important than that first thing) - get an under carriage shield - if you ever break those fan blades up under - you will wish you paid the $300 bucks for the underarmor.

Another purchase to dig with would be a toothbar - you may have to wait a bit to get one, but it is worth the money and the wait.

The machine you are looking at is a total package - it can move mountains ..... just one little bite at a time. It is NOT bullet proof - but damn near!

Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Wow, you mean there's a tractor out there that's older than mine with less hours??? 🤡
For reference: Just over a year ago, right PRE COVID inflation and supply crunch, I paid 19K for my BX23S, which was 1K below sticker. I had another dealer quote me 21K, 1K above sticker.
So yea, you are paying a "new" price for a used tractor. YMMV

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Hello everybody! I am new here and new a soon to be new Kubota owner. I wanted to ask here first before I buy a used tractor. I am looking at a 2014 BX25D with a FEL and a BH with a thumb and forks attachment. No mower. It has 90 hours on it. One owner and has always been kept inside. The BH has never been in the dirt. The asking price is $18,900. Does this seem like a good deal? Should I be concerned about the age? Would gaskets or anything wear out just from being old? The owner said he has changed the oil and kept it greased but just never really needed it and is getting up in age so he wants to sell it. Thanks for any advice in advance.
That certainly is top dollar! There is no SSQA! I would check the hydro fan and make sure the tie rod boots are all there. Check hoses and tires for dry rot! I paid $540 for the pallet forks and another $270 for the thumb. I would pay $15k tops for that machine providing everything looks good. No warranty.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Following my first post, and Hokie and Paul's comments:

Like both said, $19k is new price. If really as advertised, in this market it could be a good find with the implements mentioned.

That said, try to get a new one tomorrow at ANY price.....that's where the scam concern comes in.....

If you can get you hands on it, take a good flashlight (not your phone), and check:
  • Does it REALLY look like a tractor with 90 hours? Wear on the pedals, floorpan cover in good shape, engine compartment not all dirty, leaks, wear on seat, etc.
  • Does the tractor look pressure-washed? That's never a good thing.....period....
  • Does the dash panel have moisture/fogging? Is it stored indoors/outdoors? Common problem for BX of the era.
  • Look at ALL the grease zerks on the loader and BH....see any zerks that are painted over (not good)? See some excess grease pushed out at ends of pins from normal greasing (good)?
  • Check motor oil...is it FULL, clean/clear, or black? CAUTION, a diesel will make oil darker sooner than a gasoline engine. Unless it's real black and not translucent, it's hard to judge. Shouldn't be an issue with a 90 hour tractor.
  • Check HST fluid...is it full? Is it almost clear? Is it colored red, green, brown? A stock Kubota UDT or SUDT2 will be a little yellow/brown tinted, but almost hard to see on the stick....
  • HST fan as Hokie mentioned. $20 part that costs another $800 to have some install. A co-worker bought a BX last year....guess what...fan was gone. Never checked it.
  • While you're looking at the fan and right below it, check the hydraulic filter to see if it's still grey (factory). A changed filter will be something other than the gray color like the frame rails, and also have legible labels on it. At 90 hours, not a big deal, but may support or not support owners maintenance.
  • While you're under it, is there a bunch of dirt, brush, leaks, etc. that wouldn't be common at 90 hours?
  • Check motor oil filter....right side right in front of the loader controls. Is that grey, or different color...same idea as hydro filter. Any date/hours written on the end (common practice when changed)?
  • For giggles, check the front axle..see any fluid in there? Not a deal breaker at 90 hours

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
Following my first post, and Hokie and Paul's comments:

Like both said, $19k is new price. If it really as advertised, in this market it could be a good find with the implements mentioned.

That said, try to get a new one tomorrow at ANY price.....that's where the scam concern comes in.....

If you can get you hands on it, check:
  • Does it REALLY look like a tractor with 90 hours? Wear on the pedals, floorpan cover in good shape, engine compartment not all dirty, leaks, wear on seat, etc.
  • Does the tractor look pressure-washed? That's never a good thing.....period....
  • Does the dash panel have moisture/fogging? Is it stored indoors/outdoors? Common problem for BX of the era.
  • Check motor oil...is it FULL, clean/clear, or black? CAUTION, a diesel will make oil darker sooner than a gasoline engine. Unless it's real black and not translucent, it's hard to judge.
  • Check HST fluid...is it full? Is it almost clear? Is it colored red, green, brown? A stock Kubota UDT or SUDT2 will be a little yellow/brown tinted, but almost hard to see on the stick....
  • HST fan as Hokie mentioned. $20 part that costs another $800 to have some install
  • While you're looking at the fan and right below it, check the hydraulic filter to see if it's still grey (factory). A changed filter will be something other than the gray color like the frame rails, and also have legible labels on it. At 90 hours, not a big deal, but may support or not support owners maintenance.
  • While you're under it, is there a bunch of dirt, brush, leaks, etc. that wouldn't be common at 90 hours?
  • Check motor oil filter....right side right in front of the loader controls. Is that grey, or different color...same idea as hydro filter. Any date/hours written on the end (common practice when changed)?
  • For giggles, check the front axle..see any fluid in there? Not a deal breaker at 90 hours
  • Look at ALL the grease zerks on the loader and BH....see any zerks that are painted over (not good)? See excess grease pushed out at ends of pins from normal greasing?
Why is it never good for a tractor to look pressure washed? Do you mean as far as decal's getting peeled off and such

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I bought that exact tractor new in 2014 for less than that price. It didn’t come with a SSQA, but an option is a Kubota QD front pin on bucket. Pull 2 pins, set the bucket down, roll up to the grapple put the pins in, ( and plug in two hoses) drive away. That’s a good option.
The only thing I hate about a 2014, I have to remove the front brush guard to slide off the bottom half of the engine cover, to get to the oil filter. That’s once a year, and only takes 10 minutes.
Where was it stored, and how old is the fuel and fluids? I would rather purchase new, but as I’ve heard none are available. It’s still a 7 year old tractor, and many of the new attachments, implements don’t use the same attaching hardware as the older tractor.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Wow, you mean there's a tractor out there that's older than mine with less hours???
Mine was 4 years old with 12 hours on it when I got it 🤣

I agree the price is high, but it is what it is right now. I can sell my wifes car (that we don’t need) back to the dealer for what we paid for it new. I got quoted around $18,200-500? When I thought about a BX23S new a couple years ago. If the tractor is legit, the seller will likely get what they want right now 🤷‍♂️.

• Wow

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Why is it never good for a tractor to look pressure washed?
Owners trying to hide leaks, etc… same with an owner just changing fluids before selling. Maybe trying to cover something up. Why would you waste time/money on something you are trying to sell? Some think it makes it worth more, some are trying to hide something 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
OP:
I also agree with above, not the best price, but with todays market, it is what it is. If you don't buy it for 18,900, the next guy down the line will.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Why is it never good for a tractor to look pressure washed? Do you mean as far as decal's getting peeled off and such
Owners trying to hide leaks, etc… same with an owner just changing fluids before selling. Maybe trying to cover something up. Why would you waste time/money on something you are trying to sell? Some think it makes it worth more, some are trying to hide something 🤷‍♂️
Ford covered it well, and knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm not that concerned with pressure washed outside. It's the engine, transmission, etc.

I want to see a little dirt and dust....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Here's another BX for sale in Ohio.

Posted on the Classified page of OTT yesterday.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here's another BX for sale in Ohio.

Posted on the Classified page of OTT yesterday.

That's a real nice machine too .......

THE backhoe on the BX25D is a $7,000 add on! IF the OP needs the FEL only - I would jump on this tractor!

Much has been said about backhoe ownership vs renting one - personally I still love having my HOE on the rear (add pun if need be! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Mac740

Equipment
Nov 8, 2021
Ohio
Well after a lot of deliberation and haggling I got the tractor for $17K. The seller delivered it(6hr round trip)for for $500. The machine is like new just like he said. The BH had never been used and the FEL had been lightly used to push around some gravel. The owner was a 78 year old fellow who had an employee deal with maintaining the tractor for him. He said that the 50hr Maintenance had been done but that was a lie. The filters are both grey. The transmission fluid is still clear as a bell but the oil was pretty black. I have changed the oil and ordered a filter for the TF. None the less I am pretty excited. Thanks for all your insight & I look forward to spending more time here.

Take it Easy!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have 2 Kubota hydrostatic drive filters in the original boxes, and they are both gray. I had an original oil filter that I bought with my tractor in 2004, and it also was gray. Diesel engine oil is always black 5 minutes after you change it. That is the nature of the diesel engine.
Glad that you are happy with your purchase. I am seeing BX23S selling in the North East for $17500 - $19000. It is all about location, and since you didn't put your location into your profile, I didn't mention it. We don't care where you live, but just give us an idea of the general area, so your posts are relevant to where you live. A bargain 1000 miles away isn't a bargain if you have to travel that far.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well after a lot of deliberation and haggling I got the tractor for $17K. The seller delivered it(6hr round trip)for for $500. The machine is like new just like he said. The BH had never been used and the FEL had been lightly used to push around some gravel. The owner was a 78 year old fellow who had an employee deal with maintaining the tractor for him. He said that the 50hr Maintenance had been done but that was a lie. The filters are both grey. The transmission fluid is still clear as a bell but the oil was pretty black. I have changed the oil and ordered a filter for the TF. None the less I am pretty excited. Thanks for all your insight & I look forward to spending more time here.

Take it Easy!
Good for you! Enjoy your new-to-you tractor! :cool:

Mac740

Equipment
Nov 8, 2021
Ohio
I have 2 Kubota hydrostatic drive filters in the original boxes, and they are both gray. I had an original oil filter that I bought with my tractor in 2004, and it also was gray. Diesel engine oil is always black 5 minutes after you change it. That is the nature of the diesel engine.
Glad that you are happy with your purchase. I am seeing BX23S selling in the North East for $17500 - $19000. It is all about location, and since you didn't put your location into your profile, I didn't mention it. We don't care where you live, but just give us an idea of the general area, so your posts are relevant to where you live. A bargain 1000 miles away isn't a bargain if you have to travel that far.
I live in Athens county Ohio. That is in the South Eastern corner of the state.