Cousin used my BX

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I can't take the key with me, because my wife uses the tractor also. She was going to cut the grass, but he got to it first.

I don't loan tools, trucks, tractors, wife, cars, etc. He was just trying to help out knowing I was out of town. The tractor stays in my garage while I am out of town so the keys stay in it. I guess I will put them with my truck keys next time. I did show him how to use it correctly.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
My Dad and my wife can (but rarely) use my tractor without asking. They both know how to operate it. Dad has his own key. Wife knows where ours is. It’s in a bay in a locked building but the key is never kept in it, or even in that building.

Once in a while someone will ask to borrow it. Not a problem so long as I come with it.

So far as someone who just took it after I flat told them not to, regardless of the purity of their motives, I would be EXTREMELY angry and they (and rest of family if related) would know it. Regardless of their motive, that is WRONG, dangerous, reckless, and stupid. Closest thing to that I’ve had was an older family member who would come over to our place unannounced right after we moved in and just start working on stuff he thought needed doing, sometimes even inside the house if we were there and had left the door unlocked. I was the GC on the house so it wasn’t exactly like I needed his help with the punch list of stuff left after the CO was issued. He was being “helpful” and was very hurt when I told him to stop, plus he told me it was disrespectful because he was in the prior generation. Trying to be diplomatic, even though also debating trespassing charges v a spirited punch to the back of his head, I told him I really did love him and was concerned someday he would just walk in and could accidentally get shot if we mistook him for an intruder so he really had to stop. He got to thinking about the danger of his unannounced and unsolicited “help” and thankfully stopped as the next steps in the progression involved some “accidental” unpleasantries.

Point being, if there’s someone who has access to it that you might allow to use it at times, just make sure they’ve read the OM, been trained to an appropriate level, etc. before they use it. If it’s someone you don’t want using it for good reason or no reason at all, they need to stop. The “I was just trying to be helpful and you don’t appreciate it” crap is appropriately responded to with a clear message that you sure as hell don’t appreciate it, which would appropriately be accompanied by threat of civil action, threat of criminal action, calm explanation, the weird chest shoving thing some guys do, a punch in the face, or involving your mom to talk to his mom; whatever the standard protocol for your family to deal with conflict created by gross stupidity.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I let people borrow my stuff. But I know that if it gets broken I'll have to pay to fix it. I don't like my stuff being broken, but I accept that I break stuff (and fix it), and other people break stuff (and they fix it or I do). I'd rather spend the money than have the argument. I most definitely don't leave it broken though - I don't like looking at a reminder of stupidity (mine or other people's), I'd rather pay to fix it and then never have to worry about it again.

Usually I come with the tractor, but I'm not always there. When we had friends house sit for a month whilst we were overseas (in the US as it happens), I left instructions on how to drive the BX and mow with it, and did a demo. It was a good friend and her father (from Australia) who house sat. He drove it into a couple things, but did a passable job. Better than no mowing for a month. I like doing my mowing myself, but I also accept that when I can't, beggars can't be choosers.

To be fair, most people I loan stuff to are relatively mechanically competent. They're not likely to put petrol in a diesel tractor, nor wreck my chainsaw. It's only a low end Stihl anyway, replacing the chain costs almost as much as the whole chainsaw originally cost. :)

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
things you should never lend out .... in no particular order:

your chainsaw
your tractor
your wife
your tools
your truck

and

anything else you want to stay in the same shape as you left them!
Your dog.

Reactions: 1 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Neighbor keeps on asking to use my B3200 to clean up properties he flips. I just tell him I’m not insured for it. A few weeks back he said he had a buddy that could get me good insurance on my Orange so I told him I knew the guy at Sunbelt Rentals that would get him good rates on rental gear. As others say it doesn’t leave my property without my butt in the seat.

Reactions: 4 users

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
My brother can use my M6060, I've used his tractors enough over the years I can't say no. The key however is always put away in my shop.

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
Neighbor keeps on asking to use my B3200 to clean up properties he flips. I just tell him I’m not insured for it. A few weeks back he said he had a buddy that could get me good insurance on my Orange so I told him I knew the guy at Sunbelt Rentals that would get him good rates on rental gear. As others say it doesn’t leave my property without my butt in the seat.
IMHO, if he's buying and flipping property he needs to buy his own tractor. Not a neighbor I want to have.

Reactions: 5 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
IMHO, if he's buying and flipping property he needs to buy his own tractor. Not a neighbor I want to have.
As cheap as the day is long. Tried telling me the 1.5” sump pump discharge was causing his two 16” driveway culverts to back up and flood over his drive. Wanted me to foot the 3k to put in two 36 inch culverts. Told him when he could scientifically prove that the outflow from a 1.5” culvert can block 2 16” pipes and overflow, we would talk. Guy never does ditch maintenance either so the whole thing is a brushy mess. I haven’t heard back. Offered to help clean the ditch before his culverts but he didn’t want that. Told me all or nothing or he would cap my sump outflow. Lucky for when I asked the township if he could do that, they stepped in and told him that was illegal. He is still pissed I contacted them. Oh well, no sleep lost on my part.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tell him, "Fantastic. go purchase the insurance for my tractor so it's insured on your property. Then When I have time I can operate my tractor on other's property, and I'll only charge $50 an hour."

Reactions: 1 users

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
When I leave for a few days, both my tractor and tool shed keys go into our gun safe with all our back-up key copies. My wife knows the combo, so in the very unlikely event she'd need the tractor, she can get the key. I learned over the decades not to loan out a car, chainsaw, tools, or guitar. I am often quick to take something [saw, tractor, whatever] to someone's place and "help" them do the chore. I am not selfish, but I have had too many instances where someone seriously abused my stuff and cared zero about it.

Reactions: 1 user

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
As cheap as the day is long. Tried telling me the 1.5” sump pump discharge was causing his two 16” driveway culverts to back up and flood over his drive. Wanted me to foot the 3k to put in two 36 inch culverts. Told him when he could scientifically prove that the outflow from a 1.5” culvert can block 2 16” pipes and overflow, we would talk. Guy never does ditch maintenance either so the whole thing is a brushy mess. I haven’t heard back. Offered to help clean the ditch before his culverts but he didn’t want that. Told me all or nothing or he would cap my sump outflow. Lucky for when I asked the township if he could do that, they stepped in and told him that was illegal. He is still pissed I contacted them. Oh well, no sleep lost on my part.
This guy sounds like a winner, or maybe a wiener.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Good neighbors are essential and I'm very lucky to get along with the three that are contiguous to my property. One of them owns 160 acres and is only here 4 to 5 weeks a year and has so much money that he's never asked to borrow anything.

The one closest to me is building a brand new second shop (40'x40') and just told me that he's putting a frost-free hose bib on the side of the shop nearest to me and that I can use it any time I want. He also noticed that the three curb stop valves that supply us are leaking so he'll replace them at no charge. I offered to pay him but he told me that it's no big deal. I give him deer and elk meat and have told him that he can shoot either on my side of the fence if he sees a decent one.

Reactions: 2 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I go with machine too. I’ve told others if I let them operate they become an employee and tell them to look up Title 29, CFR Part 1928.57(a)(6) at osha.gov. So far nobody has said anything after that :cool:

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
So let me get this straight. Your neighbor keeps asking to borrow your tractor, wants YOU to get extra insurance to cover that. Then says your sumpump is clogging his twin 16 in culverts and wants YOU to help pay to double its size and is now pissed you won’t do all that. I think I would let him know if he steps on my property again I would introduce him to the business end of my German Shepard!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Neighbors are like septic tanks. A good me makes life much more pleasant. A bad one is stinky at best, hazardous at worst, and a continual irritation either way. Most of ours are good. A couple of them, require “defining our relationship and appropriate boundaries” moments once in a while.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
So let me get this straight. Your neighbor keeps asking to borrow your tractor, wants YOU to get extra insurance to cover that. Then says your sumpump is clogging his twin 16 in culverts and wants YOU to help pay to double its size and is now pissed you won’t do all that. I think I would let him know if he steps on my property again I would introduce him to the business end of my German Shepard!
Funny thing he never comes by to chat. All done via text messages and phone calls. The other two neigbhora north of me are great. We check in on each other and assist without being asked. Good times

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Funny thing he never comes by to chat. All done via text messages and phone calls. The other two neigbhora north of me are great. We check in on each other and assist without being asked. Good times
My take: Just ignore that POS neighbor!