Cousin used my BX

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
Saw a decal on someones tool box Dont ask to borrow my tools and i wont ask to borrow your wife.

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Picture in my shop.
My sister gave it to me after I gave her $300 to rent a car instead of lending her mine. She added the car sticker.
Then she added the tractor sticker when I bought the L2501.
It's good to be understood.

IMGP0341.JPG

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The mistake was telling the cousin “not to worry about it”…. He didn’t.

What SHOULD have been said is “Do NOT operate or mess with my tractor under any circumstances!”

I have a son-in-law who is the most wonderful guy my daughter could have found for a partner.
He’s sincere, honest, and a hard worker. If he detects a task needs to be done he energetically and sincerely offers to perform it….and his work-product always turns out beautiful!

But he was raised in the republic of NYC and has little experience driving or operating machinery, and although he is attentive, intelligent, and listens to instructions…. his “feel” for machinery is somewhat lacking. He’s a careful driver and does a pretty good job of driving in traffic…but has a somewhat “mechanical” technique in handling the vehicle…. nothing deserving criticism exactly, but not exactly or intuitively smooth when making transitions or maneuvering into/out-if parking spaces if you know what I mean. (In aviation we call that “seat of the pants” capability.)
He so-enjoyed driving the Kubota RTV around the ranch …and it was obvious he would like to know more about the tractor …but politely did not ask…. Sooo… In case it needed to me moved should I not be available….I made the offer to show him how to start it up and back it out of the hangar.

I asked if he knew how to operate a standard-transmission auto…and he indicated ”yes”…. so I told him a major difference between a standard-shift auto and a gear-tranny tractor is that we do NOT change gears while in-motion…. that we come to a complete stop before changing gears.
I then (after starting it up, raising the FEL only JUST enough to get it off the floor but not high enough to whack an airplane wing, and backing it out of the hangar)… I talked him thru geting it safely started and in-gear…how the FEL joystick worked, the 3-pt lift lever, …how the hand throttle worked, etc….and turned him loose on it in a wide-open pasture…. Only to cringe as he headed away from me, lurching around in circles at high rpm grinding gears as he slammed the gear-selector around various gears, etc. :eek:
I was running up behind him as fast as I could shouting to STOP shifting!…. and finally he saw me wildly waving my arms to catch his attention. He stood on the brakes until the tractor chugged to a wheel-hopping stop.
It seems HIS concept of “standard transmision” is one that has a selector labelled ”P-R-N-D-2-1”

I’ve avoided any need for him to be on my tractor since. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
IMHO, if he's buying and flipping property he needs to buy his own tractor. Not a neighbor I want to have.
Not only that…but HEs probably not even the guy who‘s gonna run it…. It’s gonna be some cheap day-laborer he hires. No thank you.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had a neighbor borrow my old BX23 and log splitter. I dropped both off at his place with a red can of gas for the splitter. Next time I used the tractor it had no power. WTF? I had just serviced it a week or two earlier. Could it be out of fuel? Opened the fuel cap and could smell gas. 🤬

Drained the tank, changed the filters (again) and all was well. After that incident, no one borrows my tractor. Lesson learned.

The other issue that I run in to is that it seems that I have to track down other tools and equipment that I lend to people. Often, I have to retrieve them when I need to use them. I get really tired of that as well. I need to learn to just say no.

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
holy crap DD that is crazy. Narrowly avoided a catastrophe

"hey thanks for letting me use your tractor, I even topped it off with gas for you"

• Haha

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
holy crap DD that is crazy. Narrowly avoided a catastrophe

"hey thanks for letting me use your tractor, I even topped it off with gas for you"

Yep. But he did fill the gas can back up...so, there's that. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users