Cousin used my BX

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I was out of town for the last month for work. My cousin decided he would mow my yard for me. He called and asked how to use my BX with MMM. I told him not to worry about it I will get it done when I get home.

He decided to do it anyway. He has never operated a tractor before, so he just kept moving handles and things until it started cutting.

Lets just say my yard was mowed when I got home. When I went to move the tractor it would not start. When I got it started it would not move, he put it in neutral (half way between fast and slow). Had it in 4wd, mid and back PTO engaged, bucket handle locked, and a few other things I don't remember them all.

So if you have a family member that may use your tractor to help you out while you are out of town you might want to show them how.

No tractor was injured from the help.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
simple solution....HIDE THE KEY, or take WITH you

if you're really, really lucky he didn't 'top up the tank' and get 'junk' in there, cause removing the tank is, well, 'fun'.......

Reactions: 4 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
That's pretty much how it always goes down doesn't it?

I don't let anyone use my stuff for that reason alone.

I did let a coworker borrow a chainsaw once and I brought him some gas mix and bar oil. He said he was going to buy gas rather than use mine. I had to get very stern with him and tell him the only gas that goes in the saw was from my can....period. He got the message, but you could tell how that could have ended up.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A coworker’s husband was laid up after surgery a few years ago.

We had a snow storm. He would only allow me to plow his driveway. He didn’t want any of his relatives to run his Kubota…..

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'da beat my cousin's ass.
Yep!! LOL I'd come unglued. I have all my keys put away. I don't let anyone touch my Kubota's, except maybe my son.

I don't like anyone doing my yard work or snow removal. I probably have ocd....but I like things done a certain way.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Nobody drives my tractor
Yep!! LOL I'd come unglued. I have all my keys put away. I don't let anyone touch my Kubota's, except maybe my son.

I don't like anyone doing my yard work or snow removal. I probably have ocd....but I like things done a certain way.
NAME says it all! Lol don't blame you.. I don't let anyone touch my tractor but they can mow my yard if need be. I don't trust my dealer now.. after my last encounter. 🤬

D

Deleted member 47704

Nobody drives my tractor

NAME says it all! Lol don't blame you.. I don't let anyone touch my tractor but they can mow my yard if need be. I don't trust my dealer now.. after my last encounter. 🤬
I don't trust my dealer either. They had a bad reputation in the past which the nephew is trying to change.
I found some things wrong when it came in, nothing major but stuff that should have been not over looked.
The biggest thing was the steering wheel 180 degrees off.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Thanks for all this guys!
I thought I was pretty much alone in not sharing stuff.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
simple solution....HIDE THE KEY, or take WITH you

if you're really, really lucky he didn't 'top up the tank' and get 'junk' in there, cause removing the tank is, well, 'fun'.......
Agree totally!

Especially if he would have topped up the tank with gas to do you a favor! LOL

Hide the tractor key. Just to protect yourself from good guys that want to help you regardless of what the consequences (which they may not comprehend) are.

First time: shame on him
Second time: shame on you! ROFL

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
things you should never lend out .... in no particular order:

your chainsaw
your tractor
your wife
your tools
your truck

and

anything else you want to stay in the same shape as you left them!

Reactions: 5 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

your chainsaw
your tractor
your wife
your tools
your truck

and

I think the order is pretty good....maybe move "my truck" up to #3...... 😉 😳 :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wont even let my brother ride my HD, and he knows better than to ask about my tractors

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

your chainsaw
your tractor
your wife
your tools
your truck

and

I discovered that my wife (then of 28 years) loaned herself out multiple times over the more recent 13 years.......without my knowledge!
When I learned of that..... she then became my ex-wife.
But......in a no fault divorce state, it cost me half of everything I owned at 57 years old.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I would hide or take the keys with me to prevent that issue.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
When I borrow anything, I make a effort/point to return it in better shape than when it was loaned to me. Cleaner/fuel full/shapened/what ever it takes. Sadly, most people do not think like that.

Reactions: 2 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct

your chainsaw
your tractor
your wife
your tools
your truck

and

and your motorcycle!
Years ago I rode often with a friend who could be considered, at best, a casual rider. No judgement, just that's what he was. When we rode for the 1st time after I bought a new bike he mentioned he would like to try it out. I just told him sorry but I don't let anyone ride my bikes. He brought it up a couple more times that day but I just ignored it. He got over it. No friendship ruined.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I will loan my tractor to anyone that asks, as long as I am the one operating it, and I am the one refueling it. No exceptions.

Reactions: 7 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't trust my dealer either. They had a bad reputation in the past which the nephew is trying to change.
I found some things wrong when it came in, nothing major but stuff that should have been not over looked.
The biggest thing was the steering wheel 180 degrees off.
So how did you get your steering wheel so it wasn't 180 off? ;)

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I was out of town for the last month for work. My cousin decided he would mow my yard for me. He called and asked how to use my BX with MMM. I told him not to worry about it I will get it done when I get home.

He decided to do it anyway. He has never operated a tractor before, so he just kept moving handles and things until it started cutting.

Lets just say my yard was mowed when I got home. When I went to move the tractor it would not start. When I got it started it would not move, he put it in neutral (half way between fast and slow). Had it in 4wd, mid and back PTO engaged, bucket handle locked, and a few other things I don't remember them all.

So if you have a family member that may use your tractor to help you out while you are out of town you might want to show them how.

No tractor was injured from the help.
Take the key with you out of town next time!