Not open for further replies.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Well today he had a change of heart;
Interesting considering many of now wish they weren’t vaccinated, too. Sometimes, it’s because of their new “issues”, and sometimes because they still have to follow the same rules as those who were not vaccinated with still the chance that they will infect someone else.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Well the mandate from the president has been announced. One downside to this mandate is it is about to stress the healthcare field even more. My wife has had several of her best nurses, some of them at the facility over 10 years now, who had already come to her and say if they mandated vaccination they would be quitting. She has heard similar stories from other facilities. Staffing has already been a complete nightmare, and this is going to throw things to another level. I dont think it will be long until my wife is forced to just resign her position. The stress, and the complete lack of any respite or break from it, is taking such a toll on her. She deals with more crap on a daily basis than I deal with in a month at my job. I couldnt do it. It is just one dumpster fire after another. As soon as you get one new nurse or supervisor hired and halfway trained, another one is quitting. Covid regulations are forcing them to test every single person in the entire facility twice a week, which has put such a burden on top of the staff that some have just walked off the job over that alone. This mandate is going to make the staffing crisis even worse I'm afraid.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t think we’ve heard the last of the “new” mandate. There are already lawsuits. Of course, none of the mandates are at all related to science. Also, how in the world could you actually enforce it with no support of over half of the states?

Sure, those who believe in “one party’s” authorian rule will cheer, but that’s not the country we live in.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tornado, I think you have a good bead on what is happening and is going to happen with government mandates.

My wife has been fighting something in her body for over 5 months now. She always walked two miles three times a week an was at the fitness center two other days. Not now! She has red sores all over her body, skin is dry and burns like a sun burn. She's been to several Drs. Been to a dermatologist several times with many test any 8-10 biopsies. Been to a rheumatologist with more test. They can find nothing definitive to do. Take her off all meds, then start adding them back to see if they are the cause. Nothing.

Dermatologist did discover she is allergic to methylisothiazolinone. Yes, that is a word. Often abbreviated MI or MIT. It's a preservative used in just about everything used in a house, cleaning products, laundry products, makeup products, even some food. So we eliminated everything under each sink and everywhere else, washed all the towels, clothes, dishes, etc to get rid of it.

The dermatologist gave her an app she can go to that is for checking out products for various ingredients. So she can now determine is that crap is in something before purchase.

In her attempt to get to the bottom of this she has had three nurses at three different locations tell her they are NOT getting the vaccine after seeing all the patients with various problems they've never seen before. They emphatically stated they'd quit first.

I don't think government officials understand it's the nurses who do the work. When those numbers drop the hospitals will be like a car with flat tires!! (Might look good but it isn't going!)

Oh, all this happened to her about 15 days after a covid vaccination (if your liberal enough to call it that).

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
There was an article not long ago about our local hospital saying they were short 70 nurses. The article focused on people not taking the vaccine as the reason, which made no sense as to why they were short staff. There was a small blurb in the article saying since they were so short of nurses, they would not mandate employees taking the vaccine. That implies to me, the hospital was requiring it at one time. I would be willing to bet many of the nurses had left rather than take the vaccine.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Tornado, I think you have a good bead on what is happening and is going to happen with government mandates.

My wife has been fighting something in her body for over 5 months now. She always walked two miles three times a week an was at the fitness center two other days. Not now! She has red sores all over her body, skin is dry and burns like a sun burn. She's been to several Drs. Been to a dermatologist several times with many test any 8-10 biopsies. Been to a rheumatologist with more test. They can find nothing definitive to do. Take her off all meds, then start adding them back to see if they are the cause. Nothing.

Dermatologist did discover she is allergic to methylisothiazolinone. Yes, that is a word. Often abbreviated MI or MIT. It's a preservative used in just about everything used in a house, cleaning products, laundry products, makeup products, even some food. So we eliminated everything under each sink and everywhere else, washed all the towels, clothes, dishes, etc to get rid of it.

The dermatologist gave her an app she can go to that is for checking out products for various ingredients. So she can now determine is that crap is in something before purchase.

In her attempt to get to the bottom of this she has had three nurses at three different locations tell her they are NOT getting the vaccine after seeing all the patients with various problems they've never seen before. They emphatically stated they'd quit first.

I don't think government officials understand it's the nurses who do the work. When those numbers drop the hospitals will be like a car with flat tires!! (Might look good but it isn't going!)

Oh, all this happened to her about 15 days after a covid vaccination (if your liberal enough to call it that).
Wow D2cat, sorry to hear about your wife. Im sure this has been a struggle for the both of you. As I read your post and the description of her symptoms one condition did come to mind. May not be this at all, and I'm sure a dermatologist would have considered it, but just in case, because it is somewhat rare, I figure id mention it. The condition that came to mind was Bullous Pemphigoid.

I just took a moment to do a fast google search on Bullous Pemphigoid and covid 19, and amazingly have found a study that was done on this exact issue. I will share a link to that study here for you to read. Surely though your medical team has already considered this I would expect, but I am a little shocked to find a connection between Bullous Pemphigoid and the covid vaccine. This really makes me want to suspect this condition now, given your post. If you havent covered this condition with your doctors I would 100% bring it up. The condition typically shows up in older people, and can show up when something screws with the immune system like immunotherapy for cancer treatment.

here is the link I just stumbled upon regarding the connection between the vaccine and the condition: https://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(21)01054-X/fulltext

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
There was an article not long ago about our local hospital saying they were short 70 nurses. The article focused on people not taking the vaccine as the reason, which made no sense as to why they were short staff. There was a small blurb in the article saying since they were so short of nurses, they would not mandate employees taking the vaccine. That implies to me, the hospital was requiring it at one time. I would be willing to bet many of the nurses had left rather than take the vaccine.
I would bet most of the nurses left because they are taking agency/travel positions for 5-10x the money, or they are burnt out on treating COVID patients.

Overall I do agree nursing shortage is a major issue. It was an issue prior to 2020 (always easy to find a nursing job for the past decade or so), but 2020-2021 really pushed it over the edge.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I would bet most of the nurses left because they are taking agency/travel positions for 5-10x the money, or they are burnt out on treating COVID patients.
It is the former, 100%. Agencies are killing nursing facilities. They pay great, recruit like crazy, but then the nurses from them have no accountability to the places they work. They are also notorious for no call no shows, again, I assume, because there is no accountability to the facility they are leaving hanging. My wife works with 6 different nursing agencies and is on the phone with them every single day about someone simply not sowing up. This is part of her frustration with the industry right now.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
It is the former, 100%. Agencies are killing nursing facilities. They pay great, recruit like crazy, but then the nurses from them have no accountability to the places they work. They are also notorious for no call no shows, again, I assume, because there is no accountability to the facility they are leaving hanging. My wife works with 6 different nursing agencies and is on the phone with them every single day about someone simply not sowing up. This is part of her frustration with the industry right now.
Nurses are the backbone of the healthcare industry. Please thank your wife for her dedication to patient care and remind her we will get through it together!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

D2, way back we talked about the reporting of possible vaccination induced side effects to the VAERS wing of the government.

When I was vaccinated I was handed a sheet to see if I wanted to contribute to ongoing monitoring for adverse reactions. I signed up, and for a while I got a text message every day asking me to fill out if I was well, or whatever, then once a week, and now we are down to once a month. Well the last time I got the text they asked were there any new conditions that required my seeking a doctor's care, and if so what. I replied yes, and joint pain. Knee. I seriously doubt that the vaccine had anything to do with it, given my age and all the other joints that have hurt before.

A couple of days ago, to my surprise, I got a phone call from someone at the cdc who asked me to fill out a VAERS form. I said I didn't think it had anything to do with the vaccine, but she said it would be helpful if I did.

Takehome messages: First, people do read these monitoring methods and are interested in identifying uncommon side effects, and learning from them, and modifying vaccines if possible.

Second, it is not too late for you and your wife to fill out the VAERS form. Look on the back of your vaccination card. It will help others and may get your wife some additional help and information. The only way to sort out coincidences from side effects is by studying them.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL

Overall I do agree nursing shortage is a major issue. It was an issue prior to 2020 (always easy to find a nursing job for the past decade or so), but 2020-2021 really pushed it over the edge.
It is possible those are also the reasons. I have no experience in the industry, so it was just speculation on my part. I will note that just because one is a nurse, that does not mean that nurse is working with Covid patients. It seems though, that everyone automatically assumes ALL nurses are dealing with just Covid patients. The media has not helped in that mindset either.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
It is possible those are also the reasons. I have no experience in the industry, so it was just speculation on my part. I will note that just because one is a nurse, that does not mean that nurse is working with Covid patients. It seems though, that everyone automatically assumes ALL nurses are dealing with just Covid patients. The media has not helped in that mindset either.
Almost every single person working in healthcare is being impacted by COVID patients. Make no mistake even the bean counters are dealing with it DAILY, HOURLY. Even in smaller clinics outside hospitals (with all the restrictions, scheduling, precautions, testing, changes to normal process). Assuming COVID is only impacting those nurses in hospitals treating a COVID patient directly is absolutely inaccurate. Heck even the IT people have to drop everything they are working on all the time to work on COVID initiatives. It is pretty much everyone.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You may be right in that not every single nurse has dealt directly with a covid patient, but I can tell you that covid, and the whole response to covid, has impacted the entire medical profession from the top right down to the bottom. Many hospitals are of course being slammed as they are absorbing lots of transfers and walk ins from a large area, but it is not just hospitals I can assure. In fact, I would say that skilled nursing facilities are being tremendously impacted right now, mostly because of new regulations, testing, reporting, admissions, referrals, coordinating with doctors, increased meetings and demands from corporate, dealing directly with family, all of these aspects have been tremendously impacted by covid. Many of these facilities already work under a lot of stress just normal day to day due to very tight staffing restrictions. My wife for example can not just add an extra nurse to every wing as she would like to do, because that would exceed nursing hours. Nevermind that the nurses on those wings are completely drowning, cant accomplish their jobs, even working overtime everyday, and get further and further behind everyday. I think the average person would be shocked to see the work load many of these nurses face every day. Not just all the care for the patients, but the massive documentation, charting, computer entry, coordination with doctors, follow ups, and doing all this without being allowed to miss one treatment, one wound care rotation. On top of being pulled constantly in 5 directions you have to maintain a high level of accuracy. One wrong dose, one mix up on medication, one brain fart on the medical care of a high acuity patient can mean big trouble. There are lots of professions that work their but off. I used to work construction and irrigation 12 hours a day and it kicked my butt, but atleast there I had one job, one overall goal, and just had to show up and perform. Nurses need to be superhuman to be good at their job, and thats honestly why the turn over rate is so incredibly high in nursing - most people simply cant do it, they cant manage the demand, it chews them up and spits them out.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Well the mandate from the president has been announced. One downside to this mandate is it is about to stress the healthcare field even more. My wife has had several of her best nurses, some of them at the facility over 10 years now, who had already come to her and say if they mandated vaccination they would be quitting. She has heard similar stories from other facilities. Staffing has already been a complete nightmare, and this is going to throw things to another level. I dont think it will be long until my wife is forced to just resign her position. The stress, and the complete lack of any respite or break from it, is taking such a toll on her. She deals with more crap on a daily basis than I deal with in a month at my job. I couldnt do it. It is just one dumpster fire after another. As soon as you get one new nurse or supervisor hired and halfway trained, another one is quitting. Covid regulations are forcing them to test every single person in the entire facility twice a week, which has put such a burden on top of the staff that some have just walked off the job over that alone. This mandate is going to make the staffing crisis even worse I'm afraid.
My wife already faced the mandatory vaccinations and did chose to get vaccinated.

The second shot put her down for 3 days with a severe migraine. That means a "Hell no!!!" In her book when they started talking about a mandatory booster.

She's in the same boat as your wife. She's not the DON, but is a department head at a nursing facility. Over worked, over stressed is a daily occurrence. Facility is way understaffed.

Why put up with all that crap, when you can take a factory job making similar money, and 1/8th the stress 🤔🤔🤔 In some cases (CNA's) can go to a factory and make more money.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
She's in the same boat as your wife. She's not the DON, but is a department head at a nursing facility. Over worked, over stressed is a daily occurrence. Facility is way understaffed.

Why put up with all that crap, when you can take a factory job making similar money, and 1/8th the stress 🤔🤔🤔 In some cases (CNA's) can go to a factory and make more money.
Yes, that is the same story in all of these facilities. My wife says that the system is structured on staff requirements from the 70's and 80's but that the workload as increased exponentially. My wife, as DON, can not simply add an extra nurse on each floor for example, which would help tremendously. If she does that she would exceed her nursing hours, which is a big no no. You are allowed to have only so many nurses per so many patients, period. Its all a ratio. It is all very strict. You also can not go under your nursing hours, so its a super tight window of nursing hours you have to meet. Even without covid, and in just normal operation, things are really tight, and the facility is understaffed. Add covid on top of it and it is just a nightmare.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes, that is the same story in all of these facilities. My wife says that the system is structured on staff requirements from the 70's and 80's but that the workload as increased exponentially. My wife, as DON, can not simply add an extra nurse on each floor for example, which would help tremendously. If she does that she would exceed her nursing hours, which is a big no no. You are allowed to have only so many nurses per so many patients, period. Its all a ratio. It is all very strict. You also can not go under your nursing hours, so its a super tight window of nursing hours you have to meet. Even without covid, and in just normal operation, things are really tight, and the facility is understaffed. Add covid on top of it and it is just a nightmare.
Tornado, allowed by whom to determine the number of nurses? The state? The company? Basically what do we have to do to get it changed?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Tornado, allowed by whom to determine the number of nurses? The state? The company? Basically what do we have to do to get it changed?
It is by the health system, hospital, clinic, etc. The business that employs the nurses. There are no "upward limits" on the number of staff members you can have. It is purely driven by profit/business. Sad really.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Medicare/ Medicaid dictate quite a bit about how a facility is staffed. Hours worked versus what can be billed.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My wife for example can not just add an extra nurse to every wing as she would like to do, because that would exceed nursing hours. Nevermind that the nurses on those wings are completely drowning, cant accomplish their jobs, even working overtime everyday, and get further and further behind everyday.
You've just touched on a point that has affected all facets of all industries, even before anyone could spell Covid. My profession is NO different. This crap has been going on a long time, and the bubble is about to burst. Does anyone else see the snake eating it's own tail?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You've just touched on a point that has affected all facets of all industries, even before anyone could spell Covid. My profession is NO different. This crap has been going on a long time, and the bubble is about to burst. Does anyone else see the snake eating it's own tail?
Which snake eats his tail most is up for debate. I tend to favor capitalism over socialism for the most part.

I remember being in Russia traveling on the trans siberian railroad 50 years ago, and I sure learned my lesson about socialism when I had to wait for two or three hours to get served at a restaurant. Both in the train and on the ground.

We may not like what we think we see, but a lot of that is probably because we’ve never have seen the other side of the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.