Bent (frown) leading edge on new 60” bucket

Bish05

Equipment
B7610, LX3310
May 25, 2021
Ontario Canada
Just purchased a new LX3310 and discovered that the leading edge of the bucket is bent in a frown shape. Will not be good for scraping the driveway or clearing a rink this coming winter. Called the dealer and they apparently checked other new buckets in stock and they appear to be similar in shape. Anyone else experience this?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
No but I would tell them that I want a bucket that is not bent. Its odd that it's a frown as bent buckets are typically a smile. Do you have a picture?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I would insist on a straight one. If they are all made that poorly, any blacksmith can straighten it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just purchased a new LX3310 and discovered that the leading edge of the bucket is bent in a frown shape. Will not be good for scraping the driveway or clearing a rink this coming winter. Called the dealer and they apparently checked other new buckets in stock and they appear to be similar in shape. Anyone else experience this?
I have a heavy duty tooth bar that slips over the bottom bucket edge. If that edge were curved, I could never, at least not easily, get the tooth bar on or off.

If for no other reason than future needs, I would insist on a bucket with a straight edge. The dealer has confirmed that you did not cause the issue, since they state that other new buckets they have in stock are the same. This is good for you. Now they should make it right.

Nether a frown or smile is desirable, unless on your face when the problem is resolved to your satisfaction!

Out of curiousity, how much of a bend are we talking about? Less than 1/4" or more than an inch?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
post up a pic. This is one of those threads that are near worthless without one.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I would never accept that.

I would also look for a new dealer.

SDT

Jack@Northeast

Equipment
LX2610HSDC
May 15, 2021
Natick, MA
My 2610 is about a month old, bucket was straight. Might be hard to get a replacement bucket right now but I would request the dealer hold one for you when they arrive. I am an inexperienced operator and most likely have been not as careful as a pro. And my bucket is still perfectly straight. So I assume they can handle some abuse. 60" QA on mine.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
post up a pic. This is one of those threads that are near worthless without one.
Well, maybe not really, IF the OP actually measured the amount of bow and posted that it might be more useful to understanding the situation than a picture would be. Even a picture would need a measurement to define the amount of distortion definitively I would think.

BUT agree a picture would be great! No argument there~

Bish05

Equipment
B7610, LX3310
May 25, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have a heavy duty tooth bar that slips over the bottom bucket edge. If that edge were curved, I could never, at least not easily, get the tooth bar on or off.

If for no other reason than future needs, I would insist on a bucket with a straight edge. The dealer has confirmed that you did not cause the issue, since they state that other new buckets they have in stock are the same. This is good for you. Now they should make it right.

Nether a frown or smile is desirable, unless on your face when the problem is resolved to your satisfaction!

Out of curiousity, how much of a bend are we talking about? Less than 1/4" or more than an inch?
62A9FF88-72A1-4020-A6BD-097E3F34CC68.jpeg
measured and just over 1/4”

Bish05

Equipment
B7610, LX3310
May 25, 2021
Ontario Canada
My 2610 is about a month old, bucket was straight. Might be hard to get a replacement bucket right now but I would request the dealer hold one for you when they arrive. I am an inexperienced operator and most likely have been not as careful as a pro. And my bucket is still perfectly straight. So I assume they can handle some abuse. 60" QA on mine.
Thanks for the reply. Is your bucket 60” as well?

Bish05

Equipment
B7610, LX3310
May 25, 2021
Ontario Canada
Well, maybe not really, IF the OP actually measured the amount of bow and posted that it might be more useful to understanding the situation than a picture would be. Even a picture would need a measurement to define the amount of distortion definitively I would think.

BUT agree a picture would be great! No argument there~
Thanks for your reply I am including a pic. Space is just over 1/4”

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Frankly, I do not know the answer.

Myself, I would probably just take a sledge hammer and beat the center of the lower bucked edge a bit.

Is a 1/4 inch difference in the center that much of a concern?

For me, not sure if it would be. But we are all different and I understand that...

Edit: I should take a look at my bucket after 19 years. Maybe mine shows the same amount of bending. Not sure...could be it matters little to me in my case...curious now....

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Thanks for your reply I am including a pic. Space is just over 1/4”
Try ripping at a stump with the center of bucket will probably bring it to flat. Maybe some shrinkage happened after welding that caused it.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
For a more controlled method of applying force to your bucket lip you could park it under your garage door header, as an example. With a hydraulic jack in the bucket and a 4x4 or other similar strong pole between the jack and the door header......start applying increasing amounts of downward pressure with the hydraulic jack until the bucket lip is straight. Place a couple of small blocks under each side edge of the bucket to allow room for the downward force.

Reactions: 1 users

Bish05

Equipment
B7610, LX3310
May 25, 2021
Ontario Canada
No but I would tell them that I want a bucket that is not bent. Its odd that it's a frown as bent buckets are typically a smile. Do you have a picture?
502CFBA0-E445-4ABF-A777-7A9F95345D9B.jpeg
the gap is just over 1/4” which wouldn’t be a problem other than I will use it to clean driveways and clean off rinks on the lake this winter

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
It is probably curved due to the welding process. Which means most will be like that if that is what your confirming. Honestly you will be surprised how quick that frown will smile. 1/4 over a timber of wood is not much. The other possible is to have the dealer put a bolt on cutting edge on it for you. It will make that edge flat. I wont buy another tractor bucket without one. They are much stronger and will always have the potential to be renewed.
image0.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users