Pat's Quick Hitch vs LP QH15

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I got a B2601 last fall and love it and actually have the Lanpride QH15 quick hitch and all of my implements are compatible. Here is the issue and I' wondering if I might be better off with a Pat's Quick hitch. I have a bad back and what I found last fall with the LP QH15 quick hitch it that the frame of the QH15 blocked me for lack of a better description and I had to both bend over and lean forward to hook up implements the pto. Bending and leaning forward HURTS and the frame of the QH15 quick hitch blocks my access to the pto again for lack of a better description. About to start doing a lot of work with the B2601 and while I realize it might take a little longer I was curious if ya'll think a Pat's Quick Hitch might be a better option as it appear it would give me better "unblocked access" to the pto and and even though it might take a little longer be easier for me to hook up implements to the pto. My back was killing me last fall after hooking up the tiller and bush hog to the pto. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little extra time if the Pat's would give me better access to the PTO. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I had to both bend over and lean forward to hook up implements the pto. Bending and leaning forward HURTS
Think pats will also be a problem.

Something to consider - different style of QH

Reactions: 1 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
When I run the tiller or brush hog I remove my QH15 from the tractor and hook them up old school.

Maybe you could fix a little platform to back up to unhook the QH and leave it there until you are not hooking to a PTO required implement. This way you would not have to pick it up lay it on the ground then lift it when needed again.

Luckily no back problems here but I do agree it is a pain to maneuver in to hook on the PTO shaft with the QH in place.

Good luck.

Jay

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The top link is completely free with the Pat’s hitch. However, it would also mean you might have to align the bottom two points independently. It seems like you’d trade one pain for different ones unless you could lock the bottom links to not move side to side. Otherwise, I think the mounts would be moving independently.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I find that I get better access to the PTO from Pats. I had a HF QH and sidelined it for the Pat's QH system. I know what you mean working around that frame especially on the small tractors. Access is not very good. I find it to be faster and easier with the Pat's especially since my attachments were not designed for the HF. I would have to reposition the top hook on the HF for each attachment I used. You will still have the bending and reaching with the Pats, but not around the QH frame. I like that I can stand inside one of the 2 lower arms, straddle the PTO shaft and plug it in, then hook up your top link. As i7win7 pointed out, there are many ways to skin a cat these days. One thing you may want to try is to fabricate a bracket that holds your PTO shaft up and centered but just below where you need to attach so you are not lifting a lot, mainly sliding the coupling on. It would have to be removable so you can get it out of the way once the shaft is connected. If you left it and raised the implement up it may bind the shaft and cause issues. I'd start making it out of 2x4's and see where the design gets me.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
Agree with johnjk, I have both 3pt QH and Pat's QH and I only use the Pats. I find it easier to hook up PTO shafts with Pats. And, I counted the number of times I had to get off the tractor with both systems and the Pats seems win most of the time :)... I always seem to need to adjust the top link with the 3pt QH at least two times to hook up on my uneven ground....

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I vote for Pat's too. It is not easy for me to lift the weight of the PTO shaft out at arm's length, but if I rest the shaft on the Pat's spacer link, it makes it easier. Then I remove the link between the two arms so it doesn't interfere.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Think I'm going to try a Pat's. Anything to get a little better access and that doesn't put my body in such a contorted position when connecting to the PTO is worth a try. Extra time lining things up and manually connecting the top link is a trade off I could live with. Looks like I could get in a better position connecting to the pto with the Pat's.

i7win7

Equipment
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Maybe you could fix a little platform to back up to unhook the QH and leave it there until you are not hooking to a PTO required implement.
Don't need to do that, guess that's why I never thought about it.
20200705_134429.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I like that stand. I actually built heavy duty palettes with casters last fall for all my implements that I can wheel out of the way in my barn / garage to save space. They were a pain to build but turned out great for the purpose. Got a big box blade AND a tiller on the same pallet and even with that much weight is fairly easy for me to move around by myself on the concrete floor.

I went ahead and ordered a Pat's this afternoon. We shall see how it goes. Probably a few weeks before I can try out the Pat's but interested to see what my back thinks of it!! Another question, if I find I like the Pat's better is there any upgrade you can do to the top link to make it easier to lengthen or shorten to fit various implements. Probably no big deal adjusting the top link but it seems like Kubota or some other mfg tends to have an upgrade / replacement part you can spend more $ on that is better than what comes standard.

i7win7

Equipment
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
is there any upgrade you can do to the top link to make it easier to lengthen or shorten to fit various implements.
All 3 pins on the implement should be in the same vertical plane. Little or no adjustment of the top link necessary. The one exception is box blade (& land plane?) changing the top link determines if box blade scrapes up material, drags or transports it, spreads collected material.

The 3pt travels in an arc. If implements are connected/disconnected in the center of travel, no binding should occur (cured by adjusting top link). I'm old school implement shouldn't move when I back into it however, most of my stands could have casters attached.

If interested, some of my other stands can be found here

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
The pallets the implements are sitting on all have locking casters so the pallets will not move when I back up to them to connect but I know the tiller is not sitting perfectly vertical on the pallet with regards to the bottom pins and top link. Guess it will be trial and error connecting the top link. Just hoping the pto hookup on the tiller and bush hog will be a little easier. Saw where some people mark the Pat's spacer bar with a paint pen or something similar for each implement to eliminate some of that guesswork switching between implements.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I got a B2601 last fall and love it and actually have the Lanpride QH15 quick hitch and all of my implements are compatible. Here is the issue and I' wondering if I might be better off with a Pat's Quick hitch. I have a bad back and what I found last fall with the LP QH15 quick hitch it that the frame of the QH15 blocked me for lack of a better description and I had to both bend over and lean forward to hook up implements the pto. Bending and leaning forward HURTS and the frame of the QH15 quick hitch blocks my access to the pto again for lack of a better description. About to start doing a lot of work with the B2601 and while I realize it might take a little longer I was curious if ya'll think a Pat's Quick Hitch might be a better option as it appear it would give me better "unblocked access" to the pto and and even though it might take a little longer be easier for me to hook up implements to the pto. My back was killing me last fall after hooking up the tiller and bush hog to the pto. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little extra time if the Pat's would give me better access to the PTO. Any thoughts?
This has been interesting, especially since I just got a B2601 and have been thinking of getting a Land Pride QH10 or 15. Now I am thinking of a Pat's Quick Hitch! However, I don't yet have any pto implements, and the only one I see in my future is a rotary cutter or flail I'd use 1-2 times a year.

Tom, why did you get a LP QH15 over the 10 in the first place? Was it the adjustable top hook? Has that been beneficial? Did it offset having to get bushings for everything?

If Pat's uses bushings, you are well prepared!? I lean toward the QH15 if I go that route, despite the bushings, because in this tractor go-round I envision few rear implements. Now, I have a box blade and a Heavy Hitch with a ripper blade. Other than the future mower, I don't see much else.

I know implements tend to multiply. Been there! But my situation is different. I have invested in a loader, grapple, and Artillian forks and hoe bucket. Would appreciate any advice on QH10 vs 15. Meantime, I am going to Pat's and look at that system again.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The Top and Tilt cylinders must make all the difference. I never leave the seat hooking up using the QH. It can be out of level and plum by quite a bit and it doesn't matter. The PTO is probably harder with the QH, I can't tell. To me the PTO has always been a PITA. Pre-QH, Pre Pats, post QH, post Pats, just a PITA. You would think after 100 years, they would have figured it out.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Yep.........Kubota & Lanpride would have a lot of happy campers if they came out with some sort of quick coupler for PTO driven implements. A lot of my frustration last fall was due to lack of practice I'm sure but I cussed that PTO something severe. Seemed like it took WAY TO MUCH force to push the button to get the implements to engage on the pto. Most of my pto struggles / problems are due to OPERATOR ERROR I'm sure so hopefully things will go smoother this spring. Bought to start putting the B2601 back to work!

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Tom, I have a bad back too (two surgeries). It does load the back when you have to bend over and lean forward. Lately what has helped me is wearing a pair of great knee pads and getting on my knees. My wife bought them for something and they are a godsend. At my age, they really help me get up too.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Yep.........Kubota & Lanpride would have a lot of happy campers if they came out with some sort of quick coupler for PTO driven implements. A lot of my frustration last fall was due to lack of practice I'm sure but I cussed that PTO something severe. Seemed like it took WAY TO MUCH force to push the button to get the implements to engage on the pto. Most of my pto struggles / problems are due to OPERATOR ERROR I'm sure so hopefully things will go smoother this spring. Bought to start putting the B2601 back to work!
At one time an advertisement would pop up here of a quick coupler for PTO connection. Don't remember much about it maybe others do but I recall it. Maybe someone knows what it is called to help search for it. Going now to see if ole Google can find it, if so I'll drop in a link to it.