Kubota Grand L 60 series seat bottoms out

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yes. His answer was the optional thousand dollar air seat.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
On both my M9's (and I presume the newer large frame tractors), you don't have to lift the seat for unattended pto operation (like running a grain leg or pto generator). The OPC alarm sounds for 15 seconds and that is it. Seat stays down. In fact neither of my seats tilt at all. The Grammer in the cab tractor swivels however.

My Grammer air ride in the cab tractor is very comfortable with multiple adjustments and lumbar but for a thousand bucks it better be. Saying that, I'm not overly fond of the seat material. In fact, I had my wife make a seat cover from a bath towel to cover the seat. The material is a dirt collector. The bath towel washes.

The seat I replaced the stock Kubota vinyl seat on the open station is just as comfortable and the covering is much better and it was 75 bucks from Rural King. It's Cordura covered with arm rests, reclines, goes forward and back and has lumbar support as well.

Last edited:

3bfarm

Equipment
rtv 900
Oct 19, 2019
kansas
I agree that Kubota needs to hire a larger person when they are designing these tractors if they want to expand in this market. I have an air ride seat and it is stiff enough but I have it all the way up and I am under 6 ft.

Reactions: 1 users

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Good morning. Just joined here haven visited a few times. Here for this very reason, L6060 seat on cab is terrible. Amazes me Kubota has blown this so badly. Told my dealership yesterday if you can take get support I am not afraid to reach out to Kubota.

I weigh 240 pounds but service tech who checked my seat weighs about 180 and he said it bottoms out and my 16year old grandson who weighs less has it happen with him. It also slaps the left fender panel as it bottoms out. Know another person who says his will cut off his pto as it bottoms out.

My dealer said don't think the air ride is the answer. He had told me before going yesterday he wanted us to look at seats in other tractors about a seat from a different model was my understanding. Got there and that option seemed to be gone. Said he would have his parts person see what may fit.

This is my third Kubota and must less expensive tractor and even my B2710 seat is much more comfortable. My M6800 which is 20 years old the suspension is still very great. Ok, not Orange but my JD with air ride is great. Note larger heavier tractor with larger tires so takes rough ground better.

IF I fully understood my dealer the air ride seat upgrade is base only. They replace the spring unit with the air ride system. Surprised me. Have found those on line for $400 to $500. Also surprised the seat in cab unit is not cloth.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
...Your existing seat will bolt to any replacement suspension, seats and bases are all ISO compliant, which means the bolt patterns all match up no matter what you get.

It's all 'plug and play' with seats and bases, just takes time to remove and replace them, .....:)
I wouldn’t want anyone to believe this is true in all cases. I bought a RK seat and suspension ...and I had to take some drastic action to get it installed.

I had to drill new mounting holes in the suspension for their seat to fit THAT...and then I had to cut some four pieces of 1/2” square tubing ...and to different heights front-to-back to get the entire assembly installed on my 1996 M4700.

RK assured me their seat would be a simple bolt-on replacement. Not the case at all,.... but the end-result was well-worth the effort to get a comfortable and affordable seat.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
On my Grand L 60 tractor, I have the seat travel all the way back (I'm 6'5"). I find the seat (with the backrest at a reasonable angle) makes contact with the rear window latch. This is pretty poor engineering in my opinion...

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I agree that Kubota needs to hire a larger person when they are designing these tractors if they want to expand in this market. I have an air ride seat and it is stiff enough but I have it all the way up and I am under 6 ft.
Agreed.

Steering brake pedals are too close together as well.

SDT

Palmettokat

Equipment
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
troverman, did you ever find a true suitable solution? Has anyone used one of the other brand of air suspensions systems with the Kubota seat?

I had it confirmed by Kubota parts manager the seats are only rated for 265, wonder if any other seat is that lowly rated. However if it truly will work for 265 why not those who are less than 265?

I sat in another cab L at dealership with same seat, it is a joke. Right now would pass on buying this tractor for this one reason if they could not take care of it before it was delievered. It is beyond reasonable.

If a company has a very basic issue over looked such as their seat, what did they miss I don't find quickly.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
No I have not, but in fairness I’ve yet to remove the seat and examine it. Tomorrow the tractor is heading back to the dealer for the HST recall.

Mistermike

Equipment
L4060
Nov 22, 2019
Walpole, New Hampshire, USA
Looking for a solution - my 1 month old L4060 HSTC has the standard (non air) seat, and when I sit in it, the seat bottoms out. I'm 6'5" 265lbs.

It's annoying from a variety of standpoints, but mostly from the fact that I'm not sitting up high enough to have adequate leg room. I can operate the machine this way, but it isn't comfortable for long stints.

My previous Kubota MX4800 and L2501 had no issues with their seats supporting me.

Anyone found a solution aside from springing for the $1000 air seat?

Thanks in advance
I was told by a Kubota tech, the seat adjustment limit is for 225 pounds.

Palmettokat

Equipment
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
My dealer ended up splitting the cost of the air ride seat with me and no cost for the install. Think was $400. It is an improvement but not a total solution. The air ride seat is same weight limit range as the manual suspension seat. However it does lift me up higher and prevents the hard hit of the seat bottoming out. Of course it does that because the air ride is so pumped up that is no travel left. But that is much better than the hard bottoming out I was having.

Kubota has an area here they ought to address ASAP or you might just see other colors begin pointing it out in comparisons.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Didn't see the need to start a new thread...

I have the same issue with the seat on my 4060. I'm 6'4, 270 and with the tension at max, the seat bottoms out with me just sitting in it.

I pulled the plastic pins on the rubber skirting that surrounds the suspension area, and shortening the adjuster bolt wont solve the issue. The bar that the springs attach to on what would be the front of the seat is limited by a stop that the bar nests into.

There are 2 options... Stiffer springs or modify the stop so the bar can place more tension on the springs. There did appear to be about 1" of usable threads left on the adjuster once the bar nests into the stops.

MarkGTH

Equipment
Kubota L3940
Mar 1, 2021
Oklahoma
I added a 3" motorcycle seat spring(from Amazon) on the front passenger side where the rubber travel bumper is. I removed the rubber stop and used a 1/4” bolt, lock nut and fender washer to bolt it on. I cut 3/4" off of one end and put a piece of fuel line on that end to keep it from squeaking. It does not fix the height issue but has stopped the hard bottoming out that I had experienced before.

61jahSBcDVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg IMG_9004.JPG IMG_9003.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I thought I would add some information in case someone searches on seat problems in the future. I purchased my 4760 in October 2020. I had read about the OEM suspension seat and read complaints about how much weight it could support without bottoming out some say less than 200 lbs.
I ordered the very expensive air ride seat provided by Grammer. That seat does support 300+ lbs. The negatives are it sits at the same height as the Kubota seat, but that seat height is really low. I wish it sat a few inches higher. I am 6'3" and find that i have difficulty engaging the Diff lock do to my legs having to be extended far out in front of me to find a comfortable seating position. I find myself having to get off the tractor to stretch every 45 minutes or so. After a few hours on my tractor, my lower back is killing me and I have to stop tractor work for the day. My previous tractor was a Kioti 3054 with the cheapest flip seat and two springs for suspension. The new tractor and air ride are nicer but the old seat did not cause lower back issues.

The Grammer seat is really nice and has several adjustments for operator comfort but I believe the low seat height makes it uncomfortable for taller folks.
The low seating position also hurts being able to see the FEL to hook up equipment and to operate the attached equipment. The air ride suspension works but the travel is limited. I believe this seat should have a 3" taller base. The base it comes with would be better suited for a zero turn mower then a tractor. The other issue is the PTO safety cut off.

I talked to the Tech folks at Grammer (Really nice guy and informative) He stated that Kubota selected the seat and didn't consult with Grammer. The PTO switch issue could have been fixed because the switch used by Grammer has a Normally Open set of contacts and a Normally Closed set of contacts. Kubota is using only one set of contacts as a kill switch. If they added a dash switch like they use on other Kubota models they could have a built in override of the kill switch.

Reactions: 1 user

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Here’s what I came up with on the fly.....

AF4EFBA6-B38D-4EFB-82F3-A6FC59400B34.jpeg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If those soda bottles don' t do the job you could try a partially inflated soccer or volley ball! Great idea, and cost effective. ;)