Status
Not open for further replies.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Went online and got an appointment set up for February 10 to get vaccinated.
Not particularly concerned about a reaction, only one person out of a dozen or so that I know that have been inoculated has had a reaction, and then for only an hour or so.
Need to get a shingles shot too, don't want that nasty stuff either.

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
First, thank you Wolfman for keeping this thread going. I’d like to offer another view on Covid.

I am a participant in the Moderna vaccine trial. No complicated reason, I just got damned tired of feeling helpless in the face of this mess. I’m just short of 70, a cancer survivor (10 years now), in really good health. After reading about the Stage 1 trials, which did not cause serious problems for the participants, I weighed the risks and benefits and decided to go for it.

Like many of you, I don’t trust ANY of the mainstream media on EITHER side, nor do I believe that our government is always completely truthful with us. And I refuse to pay any attention to that sewer called social media. Instead, I got my decision-making info from the doctor running the study. And when I asked some very pointed what-if questions about specific risks, she looked me in the eye and said “We don’t know – we’re breaking new ground here.” I’ll take that honesty over a feel-good line of BS any day.

What about reports of someone fainting or feeling ill or whatever after the shot? Yeah, that happens. And there are people who die from eating a peanut or getting stung by a wasp. Any time you’re dealing with huge numbers of people, there will be a few bad outcomes. Personally, I have never had problems with shots, vaccines, or violent allergies, so I didn’t worry about those. You may be different.

What about “this is too new and too fast?” Well yeah, the technology is new and hugely faster. It’s like using a backhoe to dig a ditch instead of a shovel. You’re gonna get it done a lot faster. And yes, they are pushing the trial reviews, and production, and distribution as fast as possible and yes that probably makes the risks somewhat higher. Not, in my opinion, crazy high risk, but again your thoughts may differ.

The biggest reason I joined the trial isn’t just Covid19. I’m not nearly as scared by Covid19 as I am about the NEXT one or the one after that or whenever. We have been blessed that the mortality from Covid19 is only around 1-3%. For comparison, SARS was around 10%, MERS around 35%, and Ebola at first was 90% mortality. When we get another virus slithering out of China or Central Africa or the slums of South America or wherever, and if it has a hugely higher fatality rate, we’re going to be in serious trouble that will make 2020 look like a picnic. And Covid19 has shined a big spotlight on what a clusterf#@k our public health capabilities are. We need to figure out how to fight diseases faster and harder, and trials are a part of that.

Sorry if I sound preachy, don’t mean to. I understand others’ concerns and reservations, I really do. I get it. Everyone needs to make their own risk/benefit choices.

Please stay safe, and God bless all.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wasnt going to get it but then I found out that if and when the border opens I cannot get in to the GWN with out a card saying I got it, also and take this for what it is worth,,, I have heard and I cannot say it was from a credited source. That traveling on the turn pikes at the toll gates people will be required to show their shot card, no card no go,, something like Check point Charlie , if any of yinz are old enough to remember that

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
First, thank you Wolfman for keeping this thread going. I’d like to offer another view on Covid.

I am a participant in the Moderna vaccine trial. No complicated reason, I just got damned tired of feeling helpless in the face of this mess. I’m just short of 70, a cancer survivor (10 years now), in really good health. After reading about the Stage 1 trials, which did not cause serious problems for the participants, I weighed the risks and benefits and decided to go for it.

Like many of you, I don’t trust ANY of the mainstream media on EITHER side, nor do I believe that our government is always completely truthful with us. And I refuse to pay any attention to that sewer called social media. Instead, I got my decision-making info from the doctor running the study. And when I asked some very pointed what-if questions about specific risks, she looked me in the eye and said “We don’t know – we’re breaking new ground here.” I’ll take that honesty over a feel-good line of BS any day.

What about reports of someone fainting or feeling ill or whatever after the shot? Yeah, that happens. And there are people who die from eating a peanut or getting stung by a wasp. Any time you’re dealing with huge numbers of people, there will be a few bad outcomes. Personally, I have never had problems with shots, vaccines, or violent allergies, so I didn’t worry about those. You may be different.

What about “this is too new and too fast?” Well yeah, the technology is new and hugely faster. It’s like using a backhoe to dig a ditch instead of a shovel. You’re gonna get it done a lot faster. And yes, they are pushing the trial reviews, and production, and distribution as fast as possible and yes that probably makes the risks somewhat higher. Not, in my opinion, crazy high risk, but again your thoughts may differ.

The biggest reason I joined the trial isn’t just Covid19. I’m not nearly as scared by Covid19 as I am about the NEXT one or the one after that or whenever. We have been blessed that the mortality from Covid19 is only around 1-3%. For comparison, SARS was around 10%, MERS around 35%, and Ebola at first was 90% mortality. When we get another virus slithering out of China or Central Africa or the slums of South America or wherever, and if it has a hugely higher fatality rate, we’re going to be in serious trouble that will make 2020 look like a picnic. And Covid19 has shined a big spotlight on what a clusterf#@k our public health capabilities are. We need to figure out how to fight diseases faster and harder, and trials are a part of that.

Sorry if I sound preachy, don’t mean to. I understand others’ concerns and reservations, I really do. I get it. Everyone needs to make their own risk/benefit choices.

Please stay safe, and God bless all.
Thank you for participating, the more we know the more prepared we will be. That is the reason we think in terms of community health policies, and ours as you pointed out need improving. We dodged a bullet in the US with Ebola, may not be so lucky the next time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On another forum a discussion of covid 19, vaccinations, etc brought this conversation up. This person always offers up proper treatments for animals, and I respect his opinion. He offers some logical reasoning. I'll also post a link to some studies by World.Org Covid-10 MMR Vaccine Research. Something more to think about.

I'm gonna keep beating this drum... look at the MMR II vaccination connection... minimal to mild COVID disease in folks who have good mumps antibody titers due to MMR II vaccination... probably explains, to a large degree, why most children and young adults have mild to no disease - they got childhood vaccination with MMR II, which was licensed in 1979.
With the 'slow roll-out', and questions about when/if COVID vaccines are going to be available to most of us, I think it's prudent for folks over 40 to get MMR II vaccinations.
Disclaimer: I am not a MD... but I am a veterinarian/microbiologist/pathologist.

https://world.org/ click on the Green MMR Titer Study to get specific information.

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
On another forum a discussion of covid 19, vaccinations, etc brought this conversation up. This person always offers up proper treatments for animals, and I respect his opinion. He offers some logical reasoning. I'll also post a link to some studies by World.Org Covid-10 MMR Vaccine Research. Something more to think about.

I'm gonna keep beating this drum... look at the MMR II vaccination connection... minimal to mild COVID disease in folks who have good mumps antibody titers due to MMR II vaccination... probably explains, to a large degree, why most children and young adults have mild to no disease - they got childhood vaccination with MMR II, which was licensed in 1979.
With the 'slow roll-out', and questions about when/if COVID vaccines are going to be available to most of us, I think it's prudent for folks over 40 to get MMR II vaccinations.
Disclaimer: I am not a MD... but I am a veterinarian/microbiologist/pathologist.

https://world.org/ click on the Green MMR Titer Study to get specific information.
That’s a really interesting paper! For those of us too old to have been vaccinated, and who had measles, mumps, and rubella as kids, the interesting part is that order matters! I know I had all of them but don’t remember the order. Apparently measles infection can reduce antibodies produced to the other two viruses.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I had a Dr. apt. today and asked her. She said one could get the titer test to see determine antibodies, however one can get the MMR vaccination at the local Drug store for $93 if no insurance coverage.

Here are some additional comments he made and inspired me to further inquire.

What I'm seeing in all these studies is that even though the medical authorities say that those of us who were born prior to 1957 are regarded as 'immune' to measles, mumps, rubella - either because we had the diseases, or had the earlier vaccines - the antibodies we have are not the same as those directed against the viral strains in the MMR II vaccine, and further, the immune 'memory' cells that we had may have declined to the point that they're essentially no longer there. And it looks like the antibodies directed against the strains in the MMR II vaccine are what are protective against COVID19 disease severity, though they apparently don't prevent infection.
So... recommendations are that folks over 40 yrs of age, who've not had the MMR II series, would probably benefit from getting those vaccinations.

All the 'science' suggests that it's a low-risk/high potential gain endeavor. 40 yr track record for this vaccine... any side effects are well-known. First preliminary reports of this association surfaced as far back as March 2020... I think the media has been potentially guilty of mass murder by way of not reporting this. Can't even begin to figure how many older folks might not have died while waiting for this COVID vaccine to be developed, approved, and distributed.

My physician wanted me to have MMR antibody titers run first... mine all said 'protective'... mumps was >300 (I remember having had mumps when I was somewhere between 6 & 10 yrs of age) ... but all indications are that those antibodies don't protect against COVID19 disease. I told the MD that he could either script it out for me so insurance would pay for it, or I'd pay for it out of pocket, but I WAS going to get it even if I had to pay full price. Turned out, insurance covered it, didn't need a prescription from a doctor, but even if it hadn't, two doses at ~$100 a pop was money well spent, when it looks like folks with antibodies due to MMR II vaccine have mild to no symptoms... no hospitalization, no death.
So... I went to Kroger pharmacy and got the MMR II... get my booster on Wednesday of this week.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
On the previous link, under "News Media" , the second of the list explains why older people tend to have more serious cases of covid-19.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The wife and I will be holding back on the initial rounds of this. We both got the Rona in mid December. For me it was nothing worse than a head cold or sinus infection. Lots of nasal congestion, a slight headache but no chest congestion and I did have the loss of taste and smell for a day. One weird thing for me was double sneezes. Never did that before and haven't since. I had symptoms for maybe 5 days. The wife had similar but lost taste and smell for a long time. She has some back but not all of it and we are going on 6 weeks now.

I am pretty sure I got it at my Chiropractor. No other external interaction for a couple weeks prior to that visit. With all the safety, masks, sanitizing, distancing, they had 2 people with it who tested positive two days after my visit, the main Doc and front desk receptionist. Both of whom I had prolonged interaction with on that day.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
One of the doctors I play poker with said you guys need to cheer up, the common flue has been eradicated. No flue deaths for over 13 months now. It is the first time in history.

No he isn't stupid, he went on to explain the same 50,000-150,000 people STILL died from the flue like they do every year, they just called it something else.

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Probably gonna be a while but I'm in when our turn comes.

Will be for me as well. So far they have only gotten enough vaccine for healthcare workers and nursing home residents. They still haven't finished with Healthcare workers.

Elderly neighbors are on the list for when it becomes available. They will get called with a time and date to show up.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
So far my 96 yr old half sister in care facility, and 4 friends ages 65 to 90 have been vaccinated this week. No reactions. I have appt next week, it still takes a lot of luck to get an appt around here, but hopefully getting easier.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The 75yr old lady from across the street that we help out spent nearly 6 hours on the phone yesterday to get an appointment for her first shot, first part of March. She had several computers & people hang up on her, a couple times they just put her in limbo, no dial tone, no musak, no nothing. She was ready to give up, when she finally got through. Sounds like the system is completely overwhelmed.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The 75yr old lady from across the street that we help out spent nearly 6 hours on the phone yesterday to get an appointment for her first shot, first part of March. She had several computers & people hang up on her, a couple times they just put her in limbo, no dial tone, no musak, no nothing. She was ready to give up, when she finally got through. Sounds like the system is completely overwhelmed.
Things are improving but phone versus computer can be a handicap. A friend just called to say she had an appt at Walgreens for Tuesday, and she would send a link to sign up part of the website. I hopefully don’t need it, but I have tried to find the right part of the website, no luck so far. Waiting to see her link. I’ll post if it seems to be generic for all Walgreens.

I got my appt with the county two weeks ago, and it was sheer serendipity. You sign up expressing “interest”. They send you a link in your email, and you go to link and within 30 minutes all the appts for January were gone. You snooze you lose!

I have also “heard” that you can show up at the end of the day at a clinic site, and if there is any vaccine thawed out leftover due to no shows, you can get it regardless of age.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only the Pfizer is frozen. The Moderna isn't. Meijers is also doing it. Wife signed up on the Meijers site on her cell phone.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Only the Pfizer is frozen. The Moderna isn't. Meijers is also doing it. Wife signed up on the Meijers site on her cell phone.
Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine multiple-dose vials are stored frozen between -25º to -15ºC (-13º to 5ºF). Store in the original carton to protect from light. Do not store on dry ice or below -40ºC (-40ºF).

The Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine can be stored refrigerated between 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F) for up to 30 days prior to first use. Do not refreeze once thawed.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Things are improving but phone versus computer can be a handicap. A friend just called to say she had an appt at Walgreens for Tuesday, and she would send a link to sign up part of the website. I hopefully don’t need it, but I have tried to find the right part of the website, no luck so far. Waiting to see her link. I’ll post if it seems to be generic for all Walgreens.

I got my appt with the county two weeks ago, and it was sheer serendipity. You sign up expressing “interest”. They send you a link in your email, and you go to link and within 30 minutes all the appts for January were gone. You snooze you lose!

I have also “heard” that you can show up at the end of the day at a clinic site, and if there is any vaccine thawed out leftover due to no shows, you can get it regardless of age.
Neighbor had gotten signed up a couple weeks ago. There appointment was the middle of March. They called one of the local grocery store pharmacies, explained their situation. They were able to get bumped up due to a cancelation and are scheduled for 2 weeks from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.