B2601 Treadle Pedal hard to use

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I am wondering if you will also have to replace the spring for the forward pedal. I am thinking that the springs may have to be the same tension to prevent creep in the forward direction if you only replace the spring for the rear pedal.

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am wondering if you will also have to replace the spring for the forward pedal. I am thinking that the springs may have to be the same tension to prevent creep in the forward direction if you only replace the spring for the rear pedal.
I have seen both springs and they are not same as one another. Front spring looked smaller then the rear spring. Makes me wonder why they put two different springs on to begin with.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have seen both springs and they are not same as one another. Front spring looked smaller then the rear spring. Makes me wonder why they put two different springs on to begin with.
Are you sure that both of the springs have a different tension? Things like the thickness of the springs increase or decrease tension. Also the temper of the steel can affect the tension. Just because one is shorter than the other does not mean they have different tension.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Are you sure that both of the springs have a different tension? Things like the thickness of the springs increase or decrease tension. Also the temper of the steel can affect the tension. Just because one is shorter than the other does not mean they have different tension.
NO, I am not sure at all at this point. I will need to take them off to have better look before I can know anything.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
NO, I am not sure at all at this point. I will need to take them off to have better look before I can know anything.
I am interested in knowing what you find out. Although my pedal is not as hard to push as what you describe, mine is harder than I like. If you end up getting a pedal pressure that is significantly lighter to push than it is now, I want to make the same mod to my tractor too.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am interested in knowing what you find out. Although my pedal is not as hard to push as what you describe, mine is harder than I like. If you end up getting a pedal pressure that is significantly lighter to push than it is now, I want to make the same mod to my tractor too.
My pedal has seemed to loosen up but only a very small amount. It is still not even close to how I want it so I will not yet give in and accept how stiff it is.

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My pedal has seemed to loosen up but only a very small amount. It is still not even close to how I want it so I will not yet give in and accept how stiff it is.
I know that someone is going to dislike what I am about to write but I have even thought about taking the springs off from mine to get a lighter pedal. The safety aspect is the only reason that I have not done that YET, but the thought has crossed my mind several times.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I know that someone is going to dislike what I am about to write but I have even thought about taking the springs off from mine to get a lighter pedal. The safety aspect is the only reason that I have not done that YET, but the thought has crossed my mind several times.
You are not the only one to have that thought. I figured if I replace both springs but in lighter weights they might cause enough tension to keep the tractor from moving on it's own.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I only have a couple hours on mine since getting it last week. I noticed the stiff reverse pedal but honestly I already got used to it. It isn't that big of a deal to me but I can certainly understand how everyone else's situation is different.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I only have a couple hours on mine since getting it last week. I noticed the stiff reverse pedal but honestly I already got used to it. It isn't that big of a deal to me but I can certainly understand how everyone else's situation is different.
Either I am getting a little used to the stiffness, or it may have eased up just a tad. I still have a couple things to try yet if it warms back up enough for me to play with it.

Reactions: 1 user

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
I've had a B2301 for a little less than 4 years. The pedal design was a little different to get used to, but I've never had any issues. I seem to put my heel on the back, and toe under the front when I use reverse. May sound a little odd, but it works fine for me.

Terry Lee

Feb 5, 2021
South Carolina
Hello gentlemen, this is my first post, but I've often read the forum. I joined in hope's that this might help somebody who has been through this same problem. My b2601 had the same horrible reverse pedal issue and after much research I was going to replace the 2 vertical springs when I found a simple solution. Just remove the horizontal spring located near the switch below and behind the 2 vertical springs. It takes less than a minute. Costs nothing. And has dropped the force needed to reverse by about 50%. The pedal still quickly returns to middle stop position. And it now feels like every other kubota I've operated. No pedal mods or other things are necessary. This linkage has 3 springs but works much much better with 2. I hope this helps somebody who is searching the net like I was. Have a good evening.

Reactions: 2 users

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Hello gentlemen, this is my first post, but I've often read the forum. I joined in hope's that this might help somebody who has been through this same problem. My b2601 had the same horrible reverse pedal issue and after much research I was going to replace the 2 vertical springs when I found a simple solution. Just remove the horizontal spring located near the switch below and behind the 2 vertical springs. It takes less than a minute. Costs nothing. And has dropped the force needed to reverse by about 50%. The pedal still quickly returns to middle stop position. And it now feels like every other kubota I've operated. No pedal mods or other things are necessary. This linkage has 3 springs but works much much better with 2. I hope this helps somebody who is searching the net like I was. Have a good evening.
Where do I find this at? My tractor is still hard on the pedal!

Terry Lee

Feb 5, 2021
South Carolina
Where do I find this at? My tractor is still hard on the pedal!
On the left side of the tractor, just in front of the transmission. Up pretty close to the floorboard. It's about a 3" spring. It is mounted above a switch that has 2 wires hooked to it. Its horizontal. Easy to get to with a piece of pull cord.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
On the left side of the tractor, just in front of the transmission. Up pretty close to the floorboard. It's about a 3" spring. It is mounted above a switch that has 2 wires hooked to it. Its horizontal. Easy to get to with a piece of pull cord.
I will have a look and see if I can find it. Removing it has no ill effect on operations?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I will have a look and see if I can find it. Removing it has no ill effect on operations?
I am wondering if that spring is to the safety switch for the treadle pedal.

Terry Lee

Feb 5, 2021
South Carolina
No I'll effect that I can see. But of course to each his own. I dont take any responsibility. No one who gives advice online can. But it has worked super good for me. I couldn't handle the force it took to reverse. I'm in pretty good shape but it was an uncomfortable movement and actually made my leg sore. It feels right now. And there are still 2 strong springs doing what they had 3 doing.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
No I'll effect that I can see. But of course to each his own. I dont take any responsibility. No one who gives advice online can. But it has worked super good for me. I couldn't handle the force it took to reverse. I'm in pretty good shape but it was an uncomfortable movement and actually made my leg sore. It feels right now. And there are still 2 strong springs doing what they had 3 doing.
I will be on it first thing in the morning to check. We are all responsible for our own actions and I never blame anyone for what I do. Free will!

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I will be on it first thing in the morning to check. We are all responsible for our own actions and I never blame anyone for what I do. Free will!
Appreciate the heads up on this.