Kubota Super UDT fluid

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
So, another novice question ( could change the clutch on a 2 cylinder JD when I was 10, but hst's are a bit out of my area)…. I assume one can use any brand of HST fluid?

thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
NO in a nutshell. Has to be Kubota approved especially for an HST.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Definitely not.

The HST is one of the most expensive components in your tractor. I would treat is as such, and use a hydraulic fluid as specified for it. Little different for a geared tractor.

There are several UDT equivalents, but frankly I decided long ago to stick with Kubota SUDT2, and Kubota-branded filters. For the longevity/service interval, the $$/running hour are inconsequential in my book.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Well, am guessing some major brands are approved, so will check labels. I think it's better to get something approved, even if not Kubota, than run low. Otherwise, dealer is 40 miles away.

thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well, am guessing some major brands are approved, so will check labels. I think it's better to get something approved, even if not Kubota, than run low. Otherwise, dealer is 40 miles away.

thanks
Yeah... just use any ol' thing that'll pour... Later on, you'll find out any Kubota dealer will ship it direct to you.. and 40 miles away will be the journey you can make to find the warranty no-good and the repair quite a different price than a pail of Super UDT2. Hardly worth a few bucks more, to my way of thinking.

"Hey Doc!... I know you said to take the Rx but I've got aspirin 40 miles closer..."

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
OK I'm going to step in, why because sometimes its fun, and sometimes its just to see the folks come out of the wood work with opinions

UDT can be used where SUDT is, why because there both Kubota. The SUDT is synthetic so it flows better in cold weather

Many manufactures make HST machines, and everyone of them say to use "only" their stuff. I don't know of any of the manufactures that make their stuff, they have stuff made by petroleum manufactures.

Have replaced fluid in my RTV1100 with CAT hydraulic fluid some 40 hours ago, maybe next week I'll have an issue, my guess is no.

Replace the fluid in my M9540 with UDT fluid about 5 hours ago, but don't plan to do it again unless there is proof the cost is worth it.

When CAT fluid cost less then Kubota, I would say there is one heck of a mark up

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
OK I'm going to step in, why because sometimes its fun, and sometimes its just to see the folks come out of the wood work with opinions

UDT can be used where SUDT is, why because there both Kubota. The SUDT is synthetic so it flows better in cold weather

Many manufactures make HST machines, and everyone of them say to use "only" their stuff. I don't know of any of the manufactures that make their stuff, they have stuff made by petroleum manufactures.

Have replaced fluid in my RTV1100 with CAT hydraulic fluid some 40 hours ago, maybe next week I'll have an issue, my guess is no.

Replace the fluid in my M9540 with UDT fluid about 5 hours ago, but don't plan to do it again unless there is proof the cost is worth it.

When CAT fluid cost less then Kubota, I would say there is one heck of a mark up
Your 9540 is a gear tractor (maybe hydraulic shuttle) so UDT or SUDT not required. Myself, I use Chevron synthetic THC in all mine (I now have 3 M's) and have right along. Having said that I did use UDT in my last hydro which was tears ago before SUDT.

I don't use CAT anything, to over priced. though they do have excellent yellow 'O' rings.

Fluid change on an M should be around 1000 hours after initial change but I'd do a burn on it beforehand to see if the additive package is intact. Stuff is expensive and UDT and SUDT is refined by Ashland Oil under license from Kubota (from what I read).

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yet another war.

Use the search function.

What's the book say to use? That book ain't wrong. Neither one of them are.

Speaking of which...had a customer bring me a little tractor today, does all his own work, using online manuals. His issue didn't have anything to do with the manuals but he argued with me over a different issue that his manual said...well his "free" manual is the worldwide manual not the USA one. Perhaps other machines use the same manuals but I can't verify as I don't use anything but genuine literature that comes from Kubota USA.

What is the war? Same thing people get into pissing matches over with Ford vs Chevy vs Toy vs Nissan vs whatever. Hey I own/drive a Ford Pinto, so that's the best car. Why? Cause I have one.....Same for oil wars.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I'm a broken record I know, but at $18 a gallon for UDT and $20 a gallon for UDT2, I see no reason to buy anything else.

I can't find anything else at this price locally. Forget what's best and look at what's the cheapest, which happens to be the spec'd Kubota fluid.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
I've apparently a knack for asking questions that start feuds. And here, I thought it was a simple question that someone who knows tractors or knows lubricants could answer dispassionately. I may have been wrong.

Reading the manual would be stunning perfection. Except, we don't have a manual. Used equipment often comes without manuals (especially when the kids are selling dad's stuff after he dies), and almost never come with a warranty. I suppose one might find a serial number and order a manual, only to be told they are out of print because the model is too old. Until then, I'm stuck with using a disgusting free online manual, which tells me to use Kubota fluid, just like everyone who sells anything always says to use their stuff. Hence the question.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Your manual is online for a free download. You need one, download it. You want a hard copy, print it....

Issue solved.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
dggott,

Like SidecarFlip said, you should be able to download your manual from Kubotabooks.com

Your manual says to use SUDT. If it had been UDT, then there would be substitutes. SUDT has been replaced by SUDT2. Either will work for you. The pricing at present is that SUDT2 has a lower price.

I understand not wanting to drive 40 miles. Suggest that you check out Coleman Equipment and see if they will send SUDT2 to your driveway.

The reason for the testy replies is that this is a subject which comes up now and again. The consensus of opinion is to use the SUDT or SUDT2, based on experience.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I understand UDT to be mineral based, while SUDT is a semi-synthetic and I'll assume SUDT2 is a full synthetic with an enhanced additive package. (wear, shockload and longevity).

May be all wet, been all wet before.:eek:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

Actually, SUDT in semi-synthetic and SUDT2 is full synthetic. Not only does SUDT2 flow better in the cold but it will run cooler in the summer.

I'm curious, does Cat make a UDT style fluid? I have used their hyd oil but didn't know they made fluid for tractors?

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Actually, SUDT in semi-synthetic and SUDT2 is full synthetic. Not only does SUDT2 flow better in the cold but it will run cooler in the summer.

I'm curious, does Cat make a UDT style fluid? I have used their hyd oil but didn't know they made fluid for tractors?
Universal Dynamic Tractor - fluid
CAT HYDO oil is designed for hydraulic transmissions, pumps, cylinders, valves, etc just like many other oils including Kubota, its hydraulic/transmission oil. I will agree there are probably differences, CAT hydo uses 900 ppm zinc in their oil to help reduce wear, don't know how much is in UDT.

As with all things, if its your equipment use what you want, you have to pay for it if its incorrect.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'll stick with my Chevron THC. But then my tractors are all gear drive anyway.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Wow talk about timing! My neighbor (a retired petroleum lubricants engineer for Exxon-Mobile) just changed the oils in BX... he used Kubota SUD2 oil. I asked him why he did not use an approved substitute.

I got a lecture. He rattled off API Codes and explained just because they are compatible does not mean they are the same. He said it boils down to the quality of the base oil and product specific additives in the oil. He said it was every man to his own so why take a chance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
explained just because they are compatible does not mean they are the same. He said it boils down to the quality of the base oil and product specific additives in the oil. He said it was every man to his own so why take a chance.

Wow....

He explained it a hellva lot better ....than I thought it!

Been saying that for years....and no, aint no war or pissing contest....
just simple math, like the ol fram commercial .....
pay me now or pay me later:p

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
or... You can use anything you want but when the mechanism fails from a lubrication issue, you only have yourself to blame...