L235 hydraulic block.

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
I have an l235dt that I picked up in the summer. It didn't have many hours on, but was outside most of it's life. I have changed all fluids and filters, and the dual stage clutch as well.
It has started to become a frankentractor...as I was searching for a loader, I came across a John Deere 200cx loader with mounts (but missing the valve) for the right price, a bx2015a loader valve and finally a John Deere 8 backhoe in perfect condition. I have slowly been fabricating the mounts for the backhoe and loader.
I'm now at the plumbing stage....can someone one point out options on the l235 of dumping back to the tank and how where I can use the hydraulic block to have power beyond after the 3pt hitch.
I want to go pump to backhoe to top n tilt to three pt to loader valve. The reason for this is the loader valve is the most restrictive of everything and would prefer the most flow for the backhoe.

I will be doing a thread on the complete build as the loader is a terrific fit for this tractor and has reasonable availability..

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
looking forward to your build thread. I to have an L235dt (but needs new motor)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Right off the top I see 2 major issues.:(

First JD Valves are almost always closed center type hydraulics, Kubota is open center, so the valves are not going to work in the system without altering it.

Second would be that the stock hydraulic pump on a L235 will not effectively run a backhoe and will even be week running a loader, especially a loader that's not designed for that tractor and a valve that is designed to run on a loader that requires have the fluid.

You can not tie into the system after the three point your only option is before it.
Power beyond is accomplished only if the loader valve is capable of doing it and you will need to add a fitting into the fill port for the new return line.

As for the backhoe I would recommend a PTO pump and pipe it into it's own loop, that will eliminate the issue of the closed center valve. ;)

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
Right off the top I see 2 major issues.:(

First JD Valves are almost always closed center type hydraulics, Kubota is open center, so the valves are not going to work in the system without altering it.
The valves in the backhoe are open center. The backhoe is manufactured by Amerequip (who likely makes the kubota backhoes....they make them for everyone else). It functions without a problem.

Second would be that the stock hydraulic pump on a L235 will not effectively run a backhoe and will even be week running a loader, especially a loader that's not designed for that tractor and a valve that is designed to run on a loader that requires have the fluid.
My L235 puts out 6.2gpm which is more than any of the John Deeres the 200cx was designed to go on. It runs the backhoe pretty decently so far, i just want to make sure it gets all the flow it can.

You can not tie into the system after the three point your only option is before it.
Power beyond is accomplished only if the loader valve is capable of doing it and you will need to add a fitting into the fill port for the new return line.
There is an optional hydraulics block for exactly this on the L235 and Im sure someone must know how to interface with it.

As for the backhoe I would recommend a PTO pump and pipe it into it's own loop, that will eliminate the issue of the closed center valve. ;)
I may yet go to a secondary pump, but don't see the need for it at this time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The hydraulic adapter block is before the three point not after, and has no provisions for adding PB.

You're only going to get as much flow as the small 1/4 loader valve will bypass, so you will be limiting the flow just by including that FEL valve in the circuit.

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
The hydraulic adapter block is before the three point not after, and has no provisions for adding PB.

You're only going to get as much flow as the small 1/4 loader valve will bypass, so you will be limiting the flow just by including that FEL valve in the circuit.
That is odd. I don't understand what the hydraulic block is for.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I see what your looking at.;)
Most Kubota hydraulic add on blocks of that vintage are just a square block of steel that has a couple of holes to tap fluid off of the system, they are hard to get but looking around you can sometimes find them.
It appears that model offered an optional cast block to tie into the valve.
it's not going to be an easy block to find, very uncommon part.
You could have one made.
If you remove that block you will find that there is a hole that goes in one side of the block and back out the other side. the optional block would have 2 threaded ports on it to connect additional hydraulics, and no connection between the two.

Regardless if you hook the loader valve (that's too small) before or after the three point valve, you are still going to restrict the flow down, thus slowing down the three point and backhoe and any other device connected to that circuit.

This is the block.

Attachments

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
If I can't get power beyond from the hydraulic block. I plan to do this

Only the flow of the 3pt hitch will be affected by the loader valve.

When the backhoe is removed, I will jumper the pump line to the input to the 2 spool top and tilt. I guess if I found a 3 spool with detent, I could simplify it further and hook the backhoe to the spool with detent.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
I see what your looking at.;)
Most Kubota hydraulic add on blocks of that vintage are just a square block of steel that has a couple of holes to tap fluid off of the system, they are hard to get but looking around you can sometimes find them.
It appears that model offered an optional cast block to tie into the valve.
it's not going to be an easy block to find, very uncommon part.
You could have one made.
If you remove that block you will find that there is a hole that goes in one side of the block and back out the other side. the optional block would have 2 threaded ports on it to connect additional hydraulics, and no connection between the two.

Regardless if you hook the loader valve (that's too small) before or after the three point valve, you are still going to restrict the flow down, thus slowing down the three point and backhoe and any other device connected to that circuit.

This is the block.

If I'm using a power beyond on the backhoe to supply the rest of the valves, and the inlet comes directly from the pump, won't the backhoe get all the flow (dumping to the tank) available?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I'm using a power beyond on the backhoe to supply the rest of the valves, and the inlet comes directly from the pump, won't the backhoe get all the flow (dumping to the tank) available?
Fluid flow rate through the entire loop is based on the smallest fitting or port in the whole system, if you restrict down the flow anywhere in the loop you restrict down the entire loop.

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
I guess there isn't one in that drawing, maybe on the side of the transmission?
Is #3 a tank port? Does anyone know the thread type?

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine

Attachments

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
These are pics of the hydro block on my L275. The L275 and the L235 are plumed the same, use the same WSM.

You can get parts diagrams here - http://www.messicks.com/KubotaTractorParts.aspx

You can get L-Series Owners Manuals L-Series Parts Manuals L-Series Shop Manuals here - http://www.messicks.com/dept/Kubota-L-SeriesShopManuals.aspx

You can get them other places but this is what came to mind.
I have the workshop and owners manual, and use the part manual online at Kubota. The problem is the wsm pics are all under exposed..and none of them actually detail the block you have, only the plate that is std.

Thanks for the pics, I will likely make one....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
project_x,
Please go back in your posts and edit the size of your pictures, they are too big. Makes it load much faster for all of us.

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
I won't be able to change the size until tomorrow, but I cna't believe that is causing a speed issue...they are about 35k in size

gyroscopic_effect

Equipment
Kubota L235 with FEL and Century 7600 Backhoe
May 1, 2022
Southern Tier NY
Hey Folks, this has been a super useful thread for me. I am trying to tap off of that block for a similar reason. Any idea what the connection type is for that block to the hard lines? The block on my L235 has 3/8 NPT but it goes to the compression fittings on the hard lines like in the picture. Are those just swagelock? or are they something different. I ask because putting T's in to get another line running is PITA. Thanks!