ZP330 Engine Cranks but Won't Start

Backcreek13

Equipment
Kubota L3300 / ZP330
Mar 25, 2020
Southern MD
I purchased a ZP330 (propane powered zero turn) last year with around 1000 hours.
Used it all last year with no issues. Brought it out this year, it fired up immediately and I began mowing. About 20 minutes in, I got off mower to clean up some debris. I left the PTO engaged, parking brake set, and while I was off the mower, it cut off. Since then, I was not able to get it to start; it will crank strong but never start.
Got new fuel for it, and determined it was not delivering spark to the plugs (through a spark check).
I ultimately discovered the 10a Engine Stop fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse, and it will fire up and run for about 15 seconds before it blows that fuse.
For ZP330 parts and service, Kubota utilizes (refers) everything to the ZD331, since they are nearly identical.
I have researched as much as I can for the Engine Stop fuse, but cannot locate where it goes or what is tied into that system (relays/solenoids).

Can anyone provide points to check that would blow this fuse routinely? I examined the exposed wires carefully, and do not see any melted/grounded wires. I know the engine was hot at the point it cut out, but do not see where anything was damaged.

Thanks in advanced

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I'm guessing that the ignition system on the propane engine should be identical to the gas version. A wiring diagram for the gas should be more readily available. If you can post the engine model number, someone might have that info.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Fuse protects the circuit from excessive amperage and thus heat. So whatever's on that fused circuit could have a shorted wire somewhere, or one of the components on that circuit could be failing, causing excessive amperage draw, which would then "pop" the fuse.

That said I have no experience with the ZP model.

If it were a ZD model (diesel), I'd lean toward a failing engine stop solenoid. They have two coils in the solenoid; one that pushes the solenoid and then another that holds it. You don't want the "push" part on all the time, it pulls a lot of juice. When the solenoid fails it will default to the "push" (or sometimes "pull") and wants a lot of juice, which sometimes burns the fuse intermittently or occasionally run a while and then pop the fuse.

Backcreek13

Equipment
Kubota L3300 / ZP330
Mar 25, 2020
Southern MD
The engine model is WG972-G-ET

My research shows the utility tractors diesel engine stop involves the fuel Solenoid and OPC, but with this being LP zero turn, wasn’t sure if there was something different.

Appreciate any help someone can give. Otherwise It looks like I’m buying the service manual and studying the layouts.