ZG227 Mower any good?

Longnkrnch

Apr 14, 2011
Louisiana
Hey guys I have a question about a mower I just bought. It’s. ZG227.
I paid under 2 grand for it. It has the Kubota 27 horse engine and has 497 hours on it. Seems in very good condition with exception of a couple small dents on the front where it’s bumped into something, and the plastic pulley covers are missing. Oil and HST fluid is clean, but I changed oil and filter anyway.
Everything in it operates nicely.
My question is, did I get my moneys worth, and how long of a lifespan should I expect?
I take good care of my equipment.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Welcome.

Well after a quick Duck Duck Go search, it appears the new ones are about 13K with tax, so I would say you did rather well.

To me, 497 hours does not seem like all that much.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
A mechanic friend once told me Kubota diesels either run forever or get broken right away depending on the operator. This observation tends to run true with a lot of machinery in general.

I don't have much experience with Kubota gas engines other than my rtv-xg850 which is a gas guzzler. I've been reading some horror stories with the subaru motor but knock wood I've been good so far 100+ hours.

My personal preference is to avoid gasoline engines in general because they are noisier, require high engine speeds to generate torque, and are less fuel efficient. I also can't buy gasoline without ethanol which is probably a big source of issues on gassers.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Welcome.

Well after a quick Duck Duck Go search, it appears the new ones are about 13K with tax, so I would say you did rather well.

To me, 497 hours does not seem like all that much.
Remember - that is a gas engine, if taken care of, sure 500 hours aint bad, but IF IT was a diesel - it would just be broken in about that time!

I agree with Mike above

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
The mower is a tank, very heavy and well built. I made it to 1500 hrs before the deck spindles needed to be replaced. Otherwise no problems with mower, hydraulics etc. I have the ZD version so I can't help with engine info. I currently have 1800 hrs on mine.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The mower is a tank, very heavy and well built. I made it to 1500 hrs before the deck spindles needed to be replaced. Otherwise no problems with mower, hydraulics etc. I have the ZD version so I can't help with engine info. I currently have 1800 hrs on mine.
The key there is that letter D in the name above ............ D stands for Diesel, and yes the diesel zero turn cost almost 100% more in price. And in my opinion, if you plan on keeping it a while, well worth the price too!!!!

Longnkrnch

Apr 14, 2011
Louisiana
A mechanic friend once told me Kubota diesels either run forever or get broken right away depending on the operator. This observation tends to run true with a lot of machinery in general.

I don't have much experience with Kubota gas engines other than my rtv-xg850 which is a gas guzzler. I've been reading some horror stories with the subaru motor but knock wood I've been good so far 100+ hours.

My personal preference is to avoid gasoline engines in general because they are noisier, require high engine speeds to generate torque, and are less fuel efficient. I also can't buy gasoline without ethanol which is probably a big source of issues on gassers.

Longnkrnch

Apr 14, 2011
Louisiana
Thanks for the response from all you guys. Your info is very helpful. My main concern about this purchase is that any issues would be very expensive due to the proprietary nature and availability of parts/repairs. I have a John Deere z425 that has been pretty good but when this popped up at $1600.00 I had to take it, as my Kubota Tractor has been flawless for 20years.
if anyone on here has first hand experience with this mower, I’d love to here from them.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Tractor Data show they began production in 2008 and still can be bought new.(Starting at 12k) I wouldn’t worry about replacement parts.

Download or buy a copy of the service manual if you haven’t already.

I upgraded from a ZG127S to a ZD331 last year.

rednalgene

Equipment
BX2660, ZG227
Mar 2, 2024
Minnesota
I purchased a used ZG227 last year with ~250 hours for about $5K. I only mow one acre and wanted something quicker than my BX. The machine needed some routine maintenance, a new battery, and a new safety switch. It has been a solid mower, starting up every time. I store it in my cold storage shed and it has started up twice now through the winter, on warmer days, with no issues.

It may be louder than a diesel version, but the reason I was looking for a gas was to avoid the diesel smell/soot that I get when I operate my BX2660. My kids are using this mower, and I figured it would be a 'healthier' machine for them to use. I also was looking for a mower with an engine cover, which many zero turns do not have. The hood helps reduce some of the engine noise.

It definitely feels like a commercial mower too, very heavy and stable. It does not hesitate to cut through thick grass, or handle full speed mowing/transport with PTO engaged.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I find it an interesting comment that a gas engine is noisier than diesel. I don't have access to a meter to measure decibels.

When I talk to the local owner of the Grasshopper dealership he says some people are dead set on diesel and some want gas. He sells what they want, but if they are not sure he suggest gas. Less vibration, less chance of putting diesel in a gas engine then gas in a diesel, less noise. Oh, by the way, both gas and diesel are Kubota. The gas engine is basically a diesel engine set up to burn gas.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I find it an interesting comment that a gas engine is noisier than diesel. I don't have access to a meter to measure decibels.

When I talk to the local owner of the Grasshopper dealership he says some people are dead set on diesel and some want gas. He sells what they want, but if they are not sure he suggest gas. Less vibration, less chance of putting diesel in a gas engine then gas in a diesel, less noise. Oh, by the way, both gas and diesel are Kubota. The gas engine is basically a diesel engine set up to burn gas.
I find the high frequency sounds from gas engines more jarring than the low frequency rumble of diesels. Might just be my perception. I can easily tell which neighbors are mowing based on sound...the closer diesels are always quieter than the gassers which are further away.

mdt-agrarservice-gmbh

Equipment
Diggers
Mar 8, 2024
Bennewitz
mdtagrar.com
As an individual, I find the ZG227 mower to be an exceptional piece of equipment. Its reliability and performance are unmatched, making it a go-to choice for maintaining my property. The powerful engine ensures that even thick grass is cut with ease, while its durability gives me peace of mind that it can handle tough conditions without breaking down. Additionally, the comfortable seating and intuitive controls make operating the ZG227 a pleasure rather than a chore. Overall, I highly recommend the ZG227 mower for anyone looking for a high-quality and dependable solution for lawn care.