ZD25 Seat Safety Switch

Steve553

Equipment
ZD25 / B2910
Sep 16, 2015
Indianola, Iowa
The ZD25 mower has the seat safety switch built into the bottom cushion and is not an accessible replaceable part (per Kubota dealers I have contacted). You must buy the entire bottom cushion which costs more than $250. I have researched after market seat manufacturers and none have the cushion with the switch - only a replacement cushion. The cushion itself is easy to remove to possibly get to the switch but the leather fabric would need to be removed and the plywood frame taken apart to access it to determine if the switch itself could be repaired. I am currently running the mower with the safety switch bypassed. Is anyone aware of a method to modify this seat safety seat scheme or know of a less expensive replacement option? Thanks

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Not familiar with the particular machine and find this--if you are being told correctly the part is not replaceable--reprehensible on the part of Kubota.

Can you access from the (assumed from the post, plywood) bottom?

The switch itself won't be--shouldn't be and almost certainly isn't--unique to that machine.

Try online electronics houses (Mouser's comes to mind--free paper catalog too; McMaster, Grainger) for a replacement switch. Examine the switch for manufacturer and part number and an OEM replacement should be readily available.

Replacement might require whittling or using RTV or a wad of duct-seal or something equally imaginative.

Seat safety switch is important, but depending on who the user(s) is / are (kids?) and cost of a new seat, you could elect to retain the bypass.

Understand this--bypassing the switch--negates completely any recovery by your surviving spouse in case of fatality or damage to your person.

I have rigged a safety swich by wiring a female stereo socket into a circuit and then tethering the male stereo plug (with internal connectors shorted together) to my person with short leash. Plug in when seated runs, stand up leash pulls plug, shuts down. Tie to belt loop with caribiner or thumb-clip. Any similar device would work and may be able to find something commerically available that does the same thing. Less idiot-proof than seat switch as requires positive action on part of user but perhaps better than nothing.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

/s/Lucky Nine Toes

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have a Case 420 skid steer loader. The seat switch is bolted to the bottom of the seat. I was thinking that if you had one, you could cut a hole in the plywood with a hole saw and mount it to the plywood with wood screws. it might take very little modification but should work nicely. It also requires a plastic mount. That would be much less than $250.00.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We've got a Grasshopper 927 zero turn mower that has the operator safety switch in the seat. I just replaced it last year. Cost about $8. Flip seat up, disconnect wires, turn switch counter-clock wise----switch is out. Takes a few minutes, if you stumble!

I'd reinvent that switch (and seat if need be) if it cost me $250 for being safe.