ZB600C-1 engine info?? Help??

riotwarrior

Equipment
Muscat corp Muscateer Kubota ZB600-C
Sep 6, 2013
Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
Hi everyone,

New here and nope don't have a tractor, have an engine and plans for re-powering a 6x6 AATV similar to an Argo.

I live in farm country mind you and do work on tractors but mostly blue ones and green ones LOL :D

My wife...referred to as SuperWifey:D and I are both volunteers locally with Search and Rescue, we have a couple of dogs and a cat and enjoy a semi rural lifestyle.

Nuff bout me...now onto the Muscateer!

The unit currently has a 12HP Tecumseh HH120 gas engine, air cooled splash lubricated and noisy as all we... you know what!

I've got an opportunity to get a Kubota ZB600C-1 engine for cheap, 200 bucks, and install it in my unit. It weights slightly more than the current one.

My issues are ...

Hard to start, the current starter a direct drive model is but all worn out. Has limited cranking power. I see ebay sells some gear reduction ones for a carrier cooler for refrigderation units. Anyone know if those work well on these engines?

Glow plugs, they seem to work, get voltage and such and show resistance, but I'm not 100% on these, would like to find some Beru made plugs if possible.

Injection pump weaping, which causes me concern. What if any interchangeability with other model engines? Z650 IP looks similar?

Injectors, I'd like to replace them with some rebuilt ones too.

Basically the goal is a small turbo and IC addition to this to get bit more power LOL

Here for starters is my project build thread, EXTREMELY PICTURE HEAVY btw!

There are some vids of the engine in there too!
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...6-I-ve-been-doddling-and-working-on-for-years!

Hope it's ok to link to another forum but it's simplest way to see what I'm doing/working on

In essence the goal is a small turbo and IC and it in my machine for lots of back woods power and reliability.

Im quite familiar with diesels and comfortable working on them. I've got an engine manual in PDF and one to pick up but I would like to get the parts manual too.

Any help or suggestions would be fantastic and WHERE can I get parts in Canada?

Thanks for looking

Al

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN

riotwarrior

Equipment
Sep 6, 2013

yooper jim

Equipment
BX2660
May 15, 2010
Northern Michigan
ZB600 engines were used in Carrier Silver Hawk reefer units. I would think parts, manuals, etc could be bought at a Carrier Transicold dealer. I believe Trane also used them. See you are in BC. Vancouver has a number of Transicold dealers.

riotwarrior

Equipment
Sep 6, 2013
ZB600 engines were used in Carrier Silver Hawk reefer units. I would think parts, manuals, etc could be bought at a Carrier Transicold dealer. I believe Trane also used them. See you are in BC. Vancouver has a number of Transicold dealers.
Thanks, for the info,

Ya Vancouver would be about the only location for any parts. Fleabay has starters and GP's but that's bout it.

Still need know how to turn up fuel a bit LOL Bosch K type mini pump....has to be some info out there somewhere????:D

riotwarrior

Equipment
Sep 6, 2013
K spent quite some time revamping my six wheeler and it's all in my build thread.

Just got a quote 225 canadian to go through the IP ugh, as it still leaks like crazy.

However that being said the unit now rests in the Muscateer and has significantly changed how it works...It works very very well!

Once this fuel leak is mastered, I'll be adding a turbo, which I have in my shop waiting to go on.

Hope to find some good quality tubing to make a nice up pipe and exhaust for it.

Once things progress I'll toss on some pics and vids..

riotwarrior

Equipment
Sep 6, 2013
Well I have a leak out of the IP that's a royal PITA.

Engine is running fine, so it seems, however this thing is just pouring fuel out of one unit IP. Bottom line I've got to figure out how to solve this. I am thinking new copper washers and O rings for the unit IP or PFR pump.

Any suggestions?

Thing pulls like crazy now, no comparison to previous running.

Please help with this IP Leak.

Here is a vid of it running and leaking,
http://youtu.be/f4vPk36fgMc

Thanks for looking

Al

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I would anneal or replace all your copper. then clean the engine spotless and use some ultraviolet fuel leak detector. You can buy it at Auto Parts places. It makes leaks glow under ultraviolet lights. Helps you find the clulpret.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here's a copy of a post I made some time ago. They have new IP's at very good prices.

If you end up getting into the injection pump and injectors I'd suggest give a call to Oregon Fuel Injection. I talked to Don in service. 541-773-8669. I could get a pump from them for an L305 shipped to my door in 5 days for just a tad over 1/2 of kubota price, brand new no core charge. They also have injectors, but I didn't need any. Good luck.

riotwarrior

Equipment
Sep 6, 2013
I would anneal or replace all your copper. then clean the engine spotless and use some ultraviolet fuel leak detector. You can buy it at Auto Parts places. It makes leaks glow under ultraviolet lights. Helps you find the clulpret.
Just got a shop in lower mainland BC Canada who can bring in parts for me finally. The coppers and O rings are ordered as of yesterday and should be arriving soon. I'm not sure when I'll get them 2-3 days perhaps.

I'll give them a try and hope it clears it up.

Here's a copy of a post I made some time ago. They have new IP's at very good prices.

If you end up getting into the injection pump and injectors I'd suggest give a call to Oregon Fuel Injection. I talked to Don in service. 541-773-8669. I could get a pump from them for an L305 shipped to my door in 5 days for just a tad over 1/2 of kubota price, brand new no core charge. They also have injectors, but I didn't need any. Good luck.
If the above does not work I'll take that into consideration. Nice to hear from someone who has experience with a shop and has praise not condemnation.

I'm thinking the local shop is just a clean n seal and go, not a full on reman or new IP.

Thanks for the responses guys, I was beginning to think this forum was pretty lame in all honesty.

Parts for this particular engine up till now have been extremely difficult to locate, seems this particular company I am dealing with can order near anything from my parts manual!

Again thanks!

Al

riotwarrior

Equipment
Sep 6, 2013
Just thought I'd drop by say hi and tell ya how impressed I am with my lil diesel engine

Here is a video taken at our local light up parade of my machine in action

Kids love the donuts and figure 8's
http://youtu.be/v4xfluC3T0Q

And a cold start video
http://youtu.be/3s7Bc0Fk1yg

Broke an axle flange off the axle at end of parade, no biggy I can fix that super simple.

Thanks for reading

Merry Christmas ya'll