Z122R solenoid clicking but no start

brihvac

Apr 11, 2020
Wilmington Delaware
Z122R zero turn solenoid clicking but no start

I have seen this asked a million times but no one ever follows up with the fix. It did it last year and just did it again today. The starter solenoid clicks (you can even feel it) but it seems like its not enough to pull it in to crank the engine. I pulled the 2 small wires off and when you turn the key to start you are getting 12.4v to the solenoid through the one wire. I was assuming the other wire was a ground but when I test continuity to ground it is not (issue?). NOW, I made a jumper set of wires for the solenoid and went directly to the battery and the solenoid works and it will crank. Hook the wires back up and you can feel, and hear, the solenoid clicking but no crank. If you move the parking brake, arms, get off the seat...The solenoid will not click so I am assuming those safety's are working. I did see on a YouTube video that a guy was having a similar problem and in the comments it said that he put a new PTO switch in and that was his issue. When I work my PTO I can hear it clicking. My next move is to hook the one wire that has the 12v (when key is turned) onto the solenoid and run a wire directly from the battery ground to the other terminal and just leave the other wire off and see what happens. I do not want to just start changing parts but this is driving me nuts because the solenoid is clicking but not enough to crank the engine. Just don't understand whats going on. I can not find a wiring diagram anywhere and even when I went to the dealer they had no kind of diagram whatsoever in their books.

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Re: Z122R zero turn solenoid clicking but no start

I have seen this asked a million times but no one ever follows up with the fix. It did it last year and just did it again today. The starter solenoid clicks (you can even feel it) but it seems like its not enough to pull it in to crank the engine. I pulled the 2 small wires off and when you turn the key to start you are getting 12.4v to the solenoid through the one wire. I was assuming the other wire was a ground but when I test continuity to ground it is not (issue?). NOW, I made a jumper set of wires for the solenoid and went directly to the battery and the solenoid works and it will crank. Hook the wires back up and you can feel, and hear, the solenoid clicking but no crank. If you move the parking brake, arms, get off the seat...The solenoid will not click so I am assuming those safety's are working. I did see on a YouTube video that a guy was having a similar problem and in the comments it said that he put a new PTO switch in and that was his issue. When I work my PTO I can hear it clicking. My next move is to hook the one wire that has the 12v (when key is turned) onto the solenoid and run a wire directly from the battery ground to the other terminal and just leave the other wire off and see what happens. I do not want to just start changing parts but this is driving me nuts because the solenoid is clicking but not enough to crank the engine. Just don't understand whats going on. I can not find a wiring diagram anywhere and even when I went to the dealer they had no kind of diagram whatsoever in their books.
Here is the diagram from the WSM

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The second wire is an switched (by the solenoid) 12 volt wire to the run solenoid (fuel stop solenoid). leave it alone.

Some say they are not getting enough voltage or amperage to the starter to allow it to pull in hard enough to engage the contacts to power the starter.

The fix is to use the existing starter solenoid wire to power another relay, that relay sends power to the solenoid to make it work better.

Most of the time the real reason is a failing starter solenoid, and doing all that extra work will sometimes make it work for a while then it will fail. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

brihvac

Apr 11, 2020
Wilmington Delaware
The second wire is an switched (by the solenoid) 12 volt wire to the run solenoid (fuel stop solenoid). leave it alone.

Some say they are not getting enough voltage or amperage to the starter to allow it to pull in hard enough to engage the contacts to power the starter.

The fix is to use the existing starter solenoid wire to power another relay, that relay sends power to the solenoid to make it work better.

Most of the time the real reason is a failing starter solenoid, and doing all that extra work will sometimes make it work for a while then it will fail. ;)
I did order a new solenoid and when I pulled the old one I bench tested it and it worked so I figured it was good. But I do have a new one on the way.

Going back to the contact wires....Is one supposed to be a ground and the other 12v coming from the start switch? I am getting 12v on the one wire when I cycle the start switch. The other wire I thought was a ground BUT I have no continuity when I test the wire to ground. It has me confused because with a jumper direct to the battery the solenoid works. Seeing I have 12v on the one wire when cycling the start switch that is why I was going to run a direct ground to the other terminal and just leave the wire that was on there off and see what happens.
If any of my safety's were open would I have 12v going to the solenoid? I have it so I am assuming they are good.

Last edited:

brihvac

Apr 11, 2020
Wilmington Delaware

Here is the diagram from the WSM
Thank you. You know I went to the dealer to get this and they said none exist. I said so what does the tech do to trouble shoot? They had no answer for me. What is weird is it did it to me last year then it started working fine until today.

brihvac

Apr 11, 2020
Wilmington Delaware
So I went out this morning and it clicked when I first turned the key like it was doing yesterday. Then I tried it again and it cranked and fired right up which is exactly what it did last year. So I wanted to see what was different from yesterday on my meter readings.
YesterdayOn the 2 small contact wires when I tested voltage across the 2 wires I got NO 12.4v. Individually one had 12.4v and the other had nothing.
Today Across the 2 wires I HAD 12.4v Individually they were the same.
That is telling me it has to be one of the safety's that was messing up because when it won't start there is no voltage between the 2 wires and when it starts I have voltage between the 2 wires

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Just went through this with my 1993 B1750HSDT. The symptom was intermittent and infrequent so diagnosis was lengthy and difficult. I worked on it on and off for nearly a year.

Bottom line: Voltage drop across an aging key start switch allows enough current to flow to click the solenoid but not enough to reliably pull it in solidly to close the contacts to crank the engine. This produces the same symptoms as can a failing solenoid or starter, loose or dirty battery cable connections, failing battery cables, a failing battery or poor ground path between the battery and starter. This appears to be a common failure mode for Kubota machines that are several years old.

Because my symptoms were intermittent and infrequent, I changed all of the most likely candidates first, eliminating everything but the key switch and wiring harness (visually inspected) before getting to the key switch. As a result, this became an expensive repair as my B1750 now has a new starter and solenoid, 2 new Kubota battery cables, a new clutch interlock switch (it was functioning but sticky so I changed it anyway), a new battery (needed anyway), and a new Kubota key switch. Only the key switch was needed.

NIW's primary circuit relay option will solve this problem and for less cost than a new Kubota key switch but it is really simply masking the problem.

SDT

brihvac

Apr 11, 2020
Wilmington Delaware

Just went through this with my 1993 B1750HSDT. The symptom was intermittent and infrequent so diagnosis was lengthy and difficult. I worked on it on and off for nearly a year.

Bottom line: Voltage drop across an aging key start switch allows enough current to flow to click the solenoid but not enough to reliably pull it in solidly to close the contacts to crank the engine. This produces the same symptoms as can a failing solenoid or starter, loose or dirty battery cable connections, failing battery cables, a failing battery or poor ground path between the battery and starter. This appears to be a common failure mode for Kubota machines that are several years old.

Because my symptoms were intermittent and infrequent, I changed all of the most likely candidates first, eliminating everything but the key switch and wiring harness (visually inspected) before getting to the key switch. As a result, this became an expensive repair as my B1750 now has a new starter and solenoid, 2 new Kubota battery cables, a new clutch interlock switch (it was functioning but sticky so I changed it anyway), a new battery (needed anyway), and a new Kubota key switch. Only the key switch was needed.

NIW's primary circuit relay option will solve this problem and for less cost than a new Kubota key switch but it is really simply masking the problem.

SDT
Mine is a 2015 with 77 hours on it. Original battery but it is doing exactly as you describe. I have a primary circuit relay that I think I will get ready so if it does it again I can try it. If it works I will buy a new key switch. Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks Whitetiger the wiring diagram gave the answer.

You more than likely have a bad starter relay! ;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

SDT
Bumped this to provide new information.

Once again, it appears that the intermittent and infrequent no crank symptom displayed by my B1750 remains, and the new key switch did not solve the problem.

The only part of the cranking circuit that has not been changed is the wire in the wiring harness between the key switch and the solenoid, and this has been visually inspected twice. Everything looks good and there is no evidence of heat, loose or dirty connections or poor crimps.

For some reason, Kubota specifies a gasket between the starter and the engine, and I replaced it when I installed the new starter/solenoid. At the same time, I installed internal star washers between the heads of the starter mounting bolts and starter to assure good electrical connections between the bolt heads and starter.

Because of the lack of other possibilities, I now suspect a poor current path between the starter and the battery negative cable. The battery is positioned beside the seat on the right side of the transaxle on the B1750, and the negative battery cable connects to the transaxle rather than the engine. I next plan to install a new cable between the battery negative transaxle connection and one of the starter mounting bolts To eliminate this possibility.

Diagnosis has been difficult due to the infrequent and intermittent nature of the symptom, resulting in a parts changing scenario rather than a conclusive diagnosis.

Stranger things have happened, and I will post back with results.

SDT.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Delete. Realized it was bumped due to different issue

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I don't see you testing the voltage while trying to crank it, if so missed it. If the voltage is dropping when trying to crank probably a bad connection on a terminal or inside a relay or starter. Or bad battery. Had that on my B2710 a week ago. Voltage on battery was good but dropped greatly when hit the key.

Had same action with a tractor few years back..inside of the battery cable clamps were glazed and had to ream them out to get ride of it. Starter solenoids at least my experience will click when they have issue.

If you have an amp meter the type that clamps around the wire you could check to see if starter is pulling real heavy load so most likely the starter in that case.

Davis DeWitt

Equipment
Z122rkw
Mar 13, 2022
N FL
Ok so after exploring ALL of the previously discussed potential issues mine turned out to be the wiring harness adapter connecting to the PTO switch. The safety switch wire connector was broken and corroded and would sometimes make contact and other times not (only noticed because when removing the PTO switch to test part of the female wire connector on the harness end fell out) resulting in the unit thinking the PTO blades were engaged and prevent the cranking/starting or shut the mower off when the seat safety switch was not depressed.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
most common cause of this issue (clicks but don't start) is the brake switch.

Look at your wiring diagram, even the one above. One side of of the relay is energized when u turn the key. The other side has to be grounded somehow in order for it to actually "relay" like it's supposed to. The ground comes from the other switches, brake, neutral, etc. With that said you ideall would do a voltage drop test on the two wires at the relay. The hot side need to see less than 500mv drop, the ground side less than 500mv also. I bet, if you have no drop on the hot side, you'll find a large drop on the ground side...which would be due to a switch not switching.

The brake switch is a no/nc switch. Look at the diagram above. They are probably one of most common failed part on all of the Kommanders, and possibly on ALL of the Kubota mowers combined.

I am not saying it ain't some other issue, but the brake switch is usually the most common.

RiverFix

Equipment
Z121-skh-48
Aug 28, 2022
Washington DC
most common cause of this issue (clicks but don't start) is the brake switch.

Look at your wiring diagram, even the one above. One side of of the relay is energized when u turn the key. The other side has to be grounded somehow in order for it to actually "relay" like it's supposed to. The ground comes from the other switches, brake, neutral, etc. With that said you ideall would do a voltage drop test on the two wires at the relay. The hot side need to see less than 500mv drop, the ground side less than 500mv also. I bet, if you have no drop on the hot side, you'll find a large drop on the ground side...which would be due to a switch not switching.

The brake switch is a no/nc switch. Look at the diagram above. They are probably one of most common failed part on all of the Kommanders, and possibly on ALL of the Kubota mowers combined.

I am not saying it ain't some other issue, but the brake switch is usually the most common.

Thanks for sharing the wiring diagram. Had the same problem with the "click" when trying to start. Discovered that the positive cable was loose at the starter which shorted it out and killed the solenoid as well. The positive cable got so hot it melted the rubber boot that covers the nut. Off to find a starter....