Yet another new member looking for a rec

TheSpoon

Dec 2, 2015
MEEEEchigan
Hello. As the title says I'm a new member looking for a recommendation/verification/approval. I grew up running my family's 1950ish Ford 8N and ford backhoe on our 20 acres, though I have spent the last 15 or so years renting or living on small 1/2 acre lots. My wife and I just moved onto 10 acres in Michigan. It's about 60/30/10 woods/field/lawn. My plans for the tractor are:
1000' dirt driveway care (plow/snowblow/grade/spread stone)
Brush hog approx 2-3 acres of field (will eventually be a small orchard, currently 6' tall ragweed)
Clear/Cut trails in approx 6 acres of woods
Some landscape work (cut back hills for landscape stone, remove poured walkway, etc)
Possible small (200 sq ft) garden work.

I've got a riding mower for the 1 acre of lawn, since this is also where our septic field is and I don't want to worry about compacting it. I had been thinking that I would need to go with a used L series as I was hoping to stay around $15k (around, not necessarily under) and the B series wouldn't be big enough for the tasks I had planned. However, after reading though the forums here's I'm starting to think that maybe the B would be able to handle those tasks and might actually be better suited (the smaller turning radius in the woods for example).

I'm not actually looking to buy until the spring right now, I'm just weighing my options and prepping the wife for the expense (and still comparing vs other mfgs). My only other "issue" is storage. As of right now, we don't have an out building to keep a larger tractor in, so I would either have to give up my garage spot (I don't think the L series is small enough to fit with ROPS folded?) or get one of those plastic "garage tents" until we build the pole barn.

So, thoughts? Am I shooting for the moon to get something in that price range?

Thanks,
Nelson

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello. As the title says I'm a new member looking for a recommendation/verification/approval. I grew up running my family's 1950ish Ford 8N and ford backhoe on our 20 acres, though I have spent the last 15 or so years renting or living on small 1/2 acre lots. My wife and I just moved onto 10 acres in Michigan. It's about 60/30/10 woods/field/lawn. My plans for the tractor are:
1000' dirt driveway care (plow/snowblow/grade/spread stone)
Brush hog approx 2-3 acres of field (will eventually be a small orchard, currently 6' tall ragweed)
Clear/Cut trails in approx 6 acres of woods
Some landscape work (cut back hills for landscape stone, remove poured walkway, etc)
Possible small (200 sq ft) garden work.

I've got a riding mower for the 1 acre of lawn, since this is also where our septic field is and I don't want to worry about compacting it. I had been thinking that I would need to go with a used L series as I was hoping to stay around $15k (around, not necessarily under) and the B series wouldn't be big enough for the tasks I had planned. However, after reading though the forums here's I'm starting to think that maybe the B would be able to handle those tasks and might actually be better suited (the smaller turning radius in the woods for example).

I'm not actually looking to buy until the spring right now, I'm just weighing my options and prepping the wife for the expense (and still comparing vs other mfgs). My only other "issue" is storage. As of right now, we don't have an out building to keep a larger tractor in, so I would either have to give up my garage spot (I don't think the L series is small enough to fit with ROPS folded?) or get one of those plastic "garage tents" until we build the pole barn.

So, thoughts? Am I shooting for the moon to get something in that price range?

Thanks,
Nelson
Nelson,

Welcome to OTT,

I think you got most of it figured out pretty well! And you are right - a B will do almost everything you ask - and an L will too! Depending on the model and year will determine if the ROPS will fold or not to get inside a garage if you had one. The ol tents are find for a while, till the wind or the snow gets the best of them!:eek: Up where you are , you would never have snow or winds to hurt a cover, now would you ???:D:)

I think if you keep you eyes peeled on CL or other web sites you will be able to find the one you are looking for. I also think that your price range is fine too for a used L or B - depending on the hours and model I would think you could find a rather good machine for 15K ish!

Finding one that has been taken care of and fluids kept up with will make the challenge a little more fun! I am sure that you can find one - I will tell you, if you see one that fits your needs, get to it quick, money in hand - the older K's are probably "more" valuable now than ever before due to the new tier 4 engines and all the little things that owners are suffering at this point and time with a new technology.

Good luck on your search - and post pics when you find one! We love them thar pictures!!!:)

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I get to offer advice with my first post. Yay Me!

Ive been doing homework/research for the past few weeks on something to replace my 1990 JD 670. We live on a little under 3 acres, no woods but access to them. I mow everything and we heat with wood. Driveway is about 660' long and I need to keep a path open to the woodpile.

My main motivation was to replace the 670 with "something" with a loader. I did not have any "need" to go bigger but I also did not want to go smaller. After 3 different dealers, 2 Kubota and 1 JD, I settled on a B2650 with loader and QA bucket and pallet forks. I hemmed and hawed over the 2601 or the 2650 and finally decided that this will probably be the last tractor I ever buy, so splurge a little.

They gave me $4100 for my 670 and I got out the door at $15400 with 0%.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Nelson. I have 11 acres with about the same ratio as you mentioned. Mine is a little hilly with a big creek on one side and a smaller creek joining it about midway. When I went to the dealer I was looking for a B series but after telling him my layout he said I wouldn't be happy with a B and would be back soon wanting something bigger and that he could get me an L for just a few dollars more. I sure am happy that I listened to him. In fact there have been many times that I have wished that I had opted for the bigger L4600. I have never found anywhere that I couldn't get into or around with the L. Like you, I have a riding mower for the yard work around the 2 acres for the house and barn area. The L turned out to be $11 more per month than the B and with 0% I couldn't say no.

TheSpoon

Dec 2, 2015
MEEEEchigan
Thanks for the welcomes guys.

85Hokie said:
Up where you are , you would never have snow or winds to hurt a cover, now would you ???
No, never. That 17" we got a couple weeks back was just a figment of my imagination. However, on the bright side, that might have pushed my wife into wanting me to get the tractor sooner rather than later. It took longer then we wanted for our plow service to dig us out.

eipo said:
I hemmed and hawed over the 2601 or the 2650 and finally decided that this will probably be the last tractor I ever buy, so splurge a little.

They gave me $4100 for my 670 and I got out the door at $15400 with 0%.
By the time my wife and I are ready to buy, we should have our last vehicle paid off. Whats better to do with the "extra" income then direct it toward a new tractor right? I'm thinking/hoping this will be the one and only tractor I buy also, so I'm willing to spend a bit more if I need. Also, if you don't mind me asking, a "base" 2650 w/FEL quotes about to about $21k (before tax) on kubota's site. Was your out the door price before or after the money they gave you for the 670? So, not counting the trade in, did you pay about $19k for the tractor (and about $2k cheaper than quote) or the $15.4k (and $6k cheaper than quote).

mickeyd said:
When I went to the dealer I was looking for a B series but after telling him my layout he said I wouldn't be happy with a B and would be back soon wanting something bigger and that he could get me an L for just a few dollars more.
Besides the upsell, what was his reasoning that you wouldn't be happy with the B? What happened that you were glad you were in the L that the B would have had shortcomings?

Kubota's site quotes out a $4k difference between a "base" w/FEL B2650 and L3301, though both are above what I really wanted to spend (shooting for $15k, could swallow up to $20). If I could get out the door for less than $20k on either of these with an attachment or 2... I guess I should suck it up and just go talk to a dealer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
:spoon,

I know what you are talking about when it comes to spending more than you wished.....
but here is something to consider.......you "should" get about 10%-12% off the list price of tractor....then there is the old insurance to pay for ! But at zero %%% there is no reason to pay it off early! Sure - Kubota made money, but you get to use the tractor unlimited over the entire loan period and the payment should be about 350 ish a month.

I was looking at a Terramite for the longest time......then a buddy told me to "call Jeff" at the local Kubota service......even on the phone I was down 12% off list! And I have been paying $356 every month for almost 3 years.....now that has Ins and ##@$#@$^^ 5% taxes in that too!:D

GO down to the dealer, tell him what you need, tell him to "make me a offer you cant refuse! " and see what it looks like (if you are gonna take a the %0)

Even if you go in a cash sale, I think last I heard, they were only going to knock off about $500......to be that is not worth it - finance it and use the hell out of NEW machine that is warranted for at least two years. Plus if you get attachments at K - they too are at $0 - I think.......your time a month is worth a lot more than the 350 a month that you will spend !:)

AS everyone has said - you will kick yourself for NOT doing it sooner!:)

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
By the time my wife and I are ready to buy, we should have our last vehicle paid off. Whats better to do with the "extra" income then direct it toward a new tractor right? I'm thinking/hoping this will be the one and only tractor I buy also, so I'm willing to spend a bit more if I need. Also, if you don't mind me asking, a "base" 2650 w/FEL quotes about to about $21k (before tax) on kubota's site. Was your out the door price before or after the money they gave you for the 670? So, not counting the trade in, did you pay about $19k for the tractor (and about $2k cheaper than quote) or the $15.4k (and $6k cheaper than quote).
It was after my trade allowance was deducted.

Here is my price breakdown...

B2650 $13,595
LA534 loader with 60" quick attach bucket $3,995
Landpride pallet forks $799

I added a 60" mower deck at the last minute to take advantage of the 0%

60" mower $2,850

Minus $4013.34 for my 670.

After tax and what not total amount financed was $18,500

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Thanks for the welcomes guys.
Besides the upsell, what was his reasoning that you wouldn't be happy with the B? What happened that you were glad you were in the L that the B would have had shortcomings?
The big things are: More PTO HP to run bigger attachments; The bigger Hydro to lift more weight; A couple inches wider for more stability; and More weight for better traction, just to mention a few.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Spoon, if you are in mid Michigan, check out Deer Creek Sales in Williamston when you are shopping. I have had excellent service from them. Several above and beyond kindnesses, including helping me sell my Ford 8N.

TheSpoon

Dec 2, 2015
MEEEEchigan
eipo - Thanks for the breakdown. Helps me get closer to what I might expect.

mickeyd said:
The big things are: More PTO HP to run bigger attachments; The bigger Hydro to lift more weight; A couple inches wider for more stability; and More weight for better traction, just to mention a few.
Gotcha. I know the general advantages of going with bigger, it was just the way I read your post made it sound like there were reasons based on the layout of the land to go with an L instead of a B.

sheepfarmer said:
Spoon, if you are in mid Michigan, check out Deer Creek Sales in Williamston when you are shopping. I have had excellent service from them. Several above and beyond kindnesses, including helping me sell my Ford 8N.
I am in Mid Michigan (makes Craigslist time consuming, Flint/Lansing/Central MI.. too many). I work in Lansing and live in the Howell/Brighton area. I've passed Deer Creek multiple times when avoiding accidents on 96 (My wife and I were originally looking in Williamston for a new house before we got our current place). I have friend in Linden that "recently" bought an L37 from Flint New Holland and was happy with them also, so I'll be shopping around.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I wouldn't worry about a B series being too small TheSpoon. Just search my pics. I have a B2620 that I mow 2 acres of lawn with, grade and snowblow a 300 foot driveway and a turnaround for my transport. It has also moved 330 yards of pit run gravel up some decent hills in my bush and has made over a mile of bush road you can drive a car down. And I carry maple logs around with the forks for firewood.

Would a bigger tractor have done it faster? Yes. Would it fit in places my B did, probably not.

I never buy into the bigger is better thing. Sure, maybe if I was farming and doing heavy ground engagement, but my little B has no trouble pulling a 60 inch Landpride box blade up hill full of loamy sand soil. Nor does it have any trouble running the BXM32 chipper/shredder.

I like the money I saved over a bigger tractor, and my B runs forever on a tank of fuel.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
eipo - Thanks for the breakdown. Helps me get closer to what I might expect.

Gotcha. I know the general advantages of going with bigger, it was just the way I read your post made it sound like there were reasons based on the layout of the land to go with an L instead of a B.
Well I needed the higher PTO HP to use a bigger and more rugged bush hog to mow down 2"+ trees, heavy brush and tall grass. Needed the wider footprint for more stabilization on my hills. And needed the better loader lift capability to move the larger loads of dirt, rocks, gravel, heavier structures and downed trees. Most of this probably could have been done with less tractor but it would have taken a lot longer. But when I am maxing out my L with large loads, forklift and bucket, well that can't be accomplished with a smaller load capability.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
See you have a use mickeyd. I just laugh when some people on these forums ask for advice buying a scut to mow one acre of lawn and everyone is trying to talk them into a 35 h.p. compact with a 72" mower, LOL.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Good luck in your decision!

As an example, a guy in Oregon just posted his always garaged, shiny 115 hour L3800 with implements for $18k. If you can find a similar deal out your way, I'd jump on it. The B's are awesome machines but I have found myself running out of HP on my five acres. And yesterday, with filled tires my L3800 was running out of traction to pull my box with the rippers down in the back yard.

Bigger is not always better but there is no substitute for power and weight if you have the room. Capacity unused is far better than capacity desired.

Its a toughie but if you are only hitting this last one, hit it out of the park.

Welcome,

Ray

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
When I was looking a few dealers had a couple 2013 models that didn't sell yet. The BX2670 I have had sat there for 2 years and had 2 hr's on it from them pulling it in and out occasionally. They gave me a new battery and a huge mark down on price.

wchp12

Equipment
B2650, Landpride 60" RFM, CoutryLife 12" Post Hole Digger, Kubota BB60
Jun 22, 2015
Garnett Ks
I own a B2650 and it has plenty of power, I know when it comes to ripping up dirt the Box blade with the teeth down is not the best but a middle buster works perfect for that. I use my 60" finish mower to mow my 1.25 acre yard and then twice a year I will raise it up to mow the other 1.75 acres of field and it works fine. Its a very handy toy, um er machine

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
See you have a use mickeyd. I just laugh when some people on these forums ask for advice buying a scut to mow one acre of lawn and everyone is trying to talk them into a 35 h.p. compact with a 72" mower, LOL.
I agree with you 100 percent on that type of operation. All I was trying to convey was that if you have enough acreage, and 10 acres is enough and have the usual needs for a tractor, then there will be plenty of times that you could really use even more power.

TheSpoon

Dec 2, 2015
MEEEEchigan
Thanks everyone for your replies. They have been very useful (as I would have thought). I think I've settled on keeping an eye on CL to watch for any offers I can't pass up (on B's or L's), and if nothing pops in the next couple months hop on down to my local dealers and see what I can get on a new L. As a couple have said, and have found posted on the forums, you don't see people saying "I wish I had gone smaller". And for a small monthly price difference, I probably won't be able to pass up going larger.