Yet another B7100 FEL build

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yes. It uses three of the pumpkin bolts.
Now that I'm with the tractor, all my pics are at home. But I found this pic online:

Attachments

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Based on the advice of D2cat and Lil Foot, I beefed up the front bracing by adding a second 1" tube on each side and adding some 2-1/2" x 1/4" angle to the 3" x 3/8" flatbar bolted to the bumper. I think I screwed up though -- in retrospect, I think detaching the fell as a unit would be easier if the angle was flipped around the other way, with the horizontal flange above the bumper. I'll probably cut it off and flip it in the future. The grade 8 bolts attaching it to said bumper are just wound into tapped holes. I'll get some a bit longer and back the threads up with grade 8 nuts.

Interestingly, with the bucket detached, the two independent tractor-side quick attach assemblies actually stayed reasonably synchronized and I had no trouble connecting and disconnecting the bucket. For now, anyway - that could certainly change in the future as things wear in. Bowing to Wolfman's and Tooljunkie's greater experience, I discarded the idea of tying them together with 1" angle in favour of 1" square tube.

Finally, I tidied up the hydraulic hoses a bit. Just cable ties for now, but I'll be replacingthose with some brackets.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Torch,awesome build with great attention to detail I know this an old thread andwhat im aboutto do is probably frowned upon, but I noticed you updated it in January of 2023 so I'm hoping your still active and can answer a few questions.
I've searched high and low for a homemade FEL build on a b7100 as I have a older one (gear drive) and am just starting to put together parts and peices to start a build. I do have the 4 way hydraulic snow plow with full length subframe as wel as two spool valve with float and plan on using that as my base. My questions are as follows.
#1 you may not have a solid answer for this one but will the snow plow subframe support the added stress and weight of a FEL build, obviously attachment to this frame has to be substantial.? Perhaps someone else can give an answer to this one?
#2 how wide did you make your "cross peice" under the tractor that the towers attach to?
#3 how is the flange with bolt attachment from the towers to the cross peice mention in #2 working out? My original plan for this was to weld my towers to the cross peice with significant gusseting, but if your design is holding up well I may use that design as it's simpler and easier.
#4 perhaps this should be #1 but what size rectangle tube did you use for your towers and arms? I'm planning on 2x4x1/8 wall and hoping that will suffice
#5 what are your angles at the "breaks in the arms?
#6 how did you figure out the braces from the towers to the front of the tractor, I plan on using 2x2" x 1/8 wall tubing for this I just need to get the angles figured out so they miss the exhaust (mines mounted vertical as well) the air cleaner and also the tires etc. Perhaps you could give me some detailed advice on this?
#7 the cross "tube" between the loader arms down by the bucket where exactly is that located so it still allows full hood operation. And did you find the single criss tube between arms sufficient?
And lastly #8 what size cylinders did you use for lift and curl I'm planning using cross tube cylinders 18"length for lift and 16" for curl as these are the most affordable options from "rugged made" and what mtly budget allows.

I'm not set up for greasable pins with zerks, but the cylinders im looking at have zerks I don't have a lathe so I know my final product may not be as robust as yours but I'm fairly confident in my abilities to weld ad figure this out minus maybe some of the finer details, so Faroe had this tractirroughly 3 Yeats and am just looking to make it more veritile on a strict(ish) budget which may ormay not work long term but since it's what I have I want to give it a solid try thanks

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Torch,awesome build with great attention to detail I know this an old thread andwhat im aboutto do is probably frowned upon, but I noticed you updated it in January of 2023 so I'm hoping your still active and can answer a few questions.
Yup, I'm still around. So is the FEL. Works very well and is one of the most useful accessories a tractor can have. I use it all the time.

#1 you may not have a solid answer for this one but will the snow plow subframe support the added stress and weight of a FEL build, obviously attachment to this frame has to be substantial.? Perhaps someone else can give an answer to this one?
No idea. But I suspect a plow frame is designed with pushing forces in mind rather than lifting forces. The FEL subframe needs to extend from the engine to the rear axle, reinforcing the engine/transmission joint in the process. Perhaps your plow frame will be a suitable base to start with, subject to some additional bracing?

#2 how wide did you make your "cross peice" under the tractor that the towers attach to?
I'll have to get back to you on that, I forget the exact dimension. Wide enough to clear the exhaust on the left and the air filter on the right.

#3 how is the flange with bolt attachment from the towers to the cross peice mention in #2 working out? My original plan for this was to weld my towers to the cross peice with significant gusseting, but if your design is holding up well I may use that design as it's simpler and easier.
No problems to date. The bolts are Grade 8.

#4 perhaps this should be #1 but what size rectangle tube did you use for your towers and arms? I'm planning on 2x4x1/8 wall and hoping that will suffice
Go big or go home on the towers. I used 3"x3" 1/4" wall square tube for the towers. There is a LOT of bending force applied on those towers, what with the bracing to the front bumper and the hydraulic rams. The arms are 2"x3"x 1/8" wall and have been fine.

#5 what are your angles at the "breaks in the arms?
If I recall correctly, I settled on 120°.

#6 how did you figure out the braces from the towers to the front of the tractor, I plan on using 2x2" x 1/8 wall tubing for this I just need to get the angles figured out so they miss the exhaust (mines mounted vertical as well) the air cleaner and also the tires etc. Perhaps you could give me some detailed advice on this?
I used doubled 1"x1" x .120 wall. They are attached to the towers just below the cylinder mount height, on the inboard side. I wanted them as high as possible, but low enough to clear the air intake, etc. when lifting the structure off over the wheels on removal.

The front of the braces are attached to a piece of 3"x3" x 1/4" angle iron, which is bolted to the front bumper with 3/8" grade 8 bolts

#7 the cross "tube" between the loader arms down by the bucket where exactly is that located so it still allows full hood operation. And did you find the single criss tube between arms sufficient?
I'll have to get back to you on the exact measurement. 15" from the joint, perhaps? One tube has been fine.

And lastly #8 what size cylinders did you use for lift and curl I'm planning using cross tube cylinders 18"length for lift and 16" for curl as these are the most affordable options from "rugged made" and what mtly budget allows.
I used 16" long cylinders on all 4. I used 2" diameter cylinders because they were on sale cheaper than 1-1/2" cylinders that day and I figured the heavier diameter rods were less subject to bending. However, if I was doing it over again I'd go with the 1-1/2" diameter cylinders. They are more than adequate to lift the weight that a B7100 can safely lift and they don't take as long to fill, meaning cycle times (full down to full up, etc.) would be faster.

Reactions: 1 user

trial and error

Equipment
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Yup, I'm still around. So is the FEL. Works very well and is one of the most useful accessories a tractor can have. I use it all the time.

No idea. But I suspect a plow frame is designed with pushing forces in mind rather than lifting forces. The FEL subframe needs to extend from the engine to the rear axle, reinforcing the engine/transmission joint in the process. Perhaps your plow frame will be a suitable base to start with, subject to some additional bracing?

I'll have to get back to you on that, I forget the exact dimension. Wide enough to clear the exhaust on the left and the air filter on the right.

No problems to date. The bolts are Grade 8.

Go big or go home on the towers. I used 3"x3" 1/4" wall square tube for the towers. There is a LOT of bending force applied on those towers, what with the bracing to the front bumper and the hydraulic rams. The arms are 2"x3"x 1/8" wall and have been fine.

If I recall correctly, I settled on 120°.

I used doubled 1"x1" x .120 wall. They are attached to the towers just below the cylinder mount height, on the inboard side. I wanted them as high as possible, but low enough to clear the air intake, etc. when lifting the structure off over the wheels on removal.

The front of the braces are attached to a piece of 3"x3" x 1/4" angle iron, which is bolted to the front bumper with 3/8" grade 8 bolts

I'll have to get back to you on the exact measurement. 15" from the joint, perhaps? One tube has been fine.

I used 16" long cylinders on all 4. I used 2" diameter cylinders because they were on sale cheaper than 1-1/2" cylinders that day and I figured the heavier diameter rods were less subject to bending. However, if I was doing it over again I'd go with the 1-1/2" diameter cylinders. They are more than adequate to lift the weight that a B7100 can safely lift and they don't take as long to fill, meaning cycle times (full down to full up, etc.) would be faster.

All excellent information, thanks, glad to hear the unit is working well, definately using grade 8 bolts on anything that gets bolted, also the snowplow subframe goes from the front engine frame/cradle if you will back to the front of the rear axle I may have to support it better in the middle but to what I'm not sure yet, I think it's thicker then 1/4 maybe even 3/8 steel and fairly similar to the frame used on the kubota FEl for this tractor, it's just missing those center supports that bolt into what I believe is the belhousing? I'll have to get some pictures on here of the frame I have and maybe start my own thread so others can chime and give advice

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
All excellent information, thanks, glad to hear the unit is working well, definately using grade 8 bolts on anything that gets bolted, also the snowplow subframe goes from the front engine frame/cradle if you will back to the front of the rear axle I may have to support it better in the middle but to what I'm not sure yet, I think it's thicker then 1/4 maybe even 3/8 steel and fairly similar to the frame used on the kubota FEl for this tractor, it's just missing those center supports that bolt into what I believe is the belhousing? I'll have to get some pictures on here of the frame I have and maybe start my own thread so others can chime and give advice
There should be a connection to the center of the tractor. Look on this site for discussion of the B219 FEL which was the Kubota "OEM" product (built in Compton, CA w/ Imperial bolts, etc.); there are lots of images of the subframe.

Reactions: 1 user

trial and error

Equipment
Feb 16, 2023
NY
There should be a connection to the center of the tractor. Look on this site for discussion of the B219 FEL which was the Kubota "OEM" product (built in Compton, CA w/ Imperial bolts, etc.); there are lots of images of the subframe.
I know of the middle connection on the b219 frame and where it bolts too I just don't have that on the plow frame which is otherwise very similar, I will have to fabricate something using those guidelines