Would you buy a tractor sight unseen?

farmermaker

May 12, 2021
Canada
Hi folks,
I am in the market for a used L series Kubota around Ottawa, Canada. There aren't many that come up on the classified sites or local dealers near-ish to me.

Is there ever a situation that calls for buying a tractor sight unseen? I am seeing a good selection of tractors in the US on Tractor House.

Am I crazy for even considering this? :unsure:

Thanks for your input!

vanhanz

Equipment
Kubota L3301 HST, Hustler SD60, Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Aug 1, 2018
GA
Sure, you can always get an independent mechanic in the area to check it out for you.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I wouldn’t. If I bought something without seeing it, I’d want to do refundable money down and fly out or drive out to actually buy it, where I could look it over and back out if needed.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
How would you get a tractor across the border in these times of Covid?

That said, pre-Covid, quite a few years ago now I bought a classic car sight unseen from the UK (I'm in Eastern Canada) but I had a long history with this person, so felt comfortable with the exchange. There was a lot of paperwork and costs involved in importing a vehicle.

Not sure a tractor qualifies as a "vehicle" or not, so do your homework before you go buy something.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
One of my boys wants an old square body. He has been watching FB and CL. The pictures look great on some of them. When you go to see them there has been nothing but disappointment. Time after time somehow they look better "on film" then they do in person. And he is still looking.

Unless you have the right to refuse the purchase I would not do it.

Reactions: 1 user

farmermaker

May 12, 2021
Canada
How would you get a tractor across the border in these times of Covid?

That said, pre-Covid, quite a few years ago now I bought a classic car sight unseen from the UK (I'm in Eastern Canada) but I had a long history with this person, so felt comfortable with the exchange. There was a lot of paperwork and costs involved in importing a vehicle.

Not sure a tractor qualifies as a "vehicle" or not, so do your homework before you go buy something.
I was thinking of using a broker/logistics company to get it across the border *IF* we went ahead.

farmermaker

May 12, 2021
Canada
One of my boys wants an old square body. He has been watching FB and CL. The pictures look great on some of them. When you go to see them there has been nothing but disappointment. Time after time somehow they look better "on film" then they do in person. And he is still looking.

Unless you have the right to refuse the purchase I would not do it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like having a living breathing human to check it out is a bare minimum.

Reactions: 1 users

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
i just did this myself. i scored a sweet M5-111 for 25K about 500 miles away. i bought it before i ever even saw pictures, but it was from a dealership and they described it well over the phone

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I think dealer vs private party makes a big difference. Especially if the dealer can provide sufficient photos and video and the machine is not old/well used. In addition the dealer may provide a way to return it there are issues (even if you had to pay for return shipping).

that’s the big thing for me; you have to have a way to return it or refuse with minimal financial loss.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
I think dealer vs private party makes a big difference. Especially if the dealer can provide sufficient photos and video and the machine is not old/well used. In addition the dealer may provide a way to return it there are issues (even if you had to pay for return shipping).

that’s the big thing for me; you have to have a way to return it or refuse with minimal financial loss.

Greg
i agree it was a little easier knowing it was from a dealer. it was certainly "as is" though and i actually acuired financing via CNH before i had ever seen a picture of the unit. at the end of the day i could have always possibly called CNH and told them i didnt want it and the tractor was going to stay at the dealership if i didnt like the pictures after they sent it.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi folks,
I am in the market for a used L series Kubota around Ottawa, Canada. There aren't many that come up on the classified sites or local dealers near-ish to me.

Is there ever a situation that calls for buying a tractor sight unseen? I am seeing a good selection of tractors in the US on Tractor House.

Am I crazy for even considering this? :unsure:

Thanks for your input!
No, but there are those who do.

A few years abo, I sold a New Holland T4050 sight unseen to a buyer over 1,000 miles distant.

SDT

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I did, A friend stopped in a dealer to get something and saw the one i bought being unloaded onto the lot. He called me(I'm 3 hours away) and tells me this is the ONE. B3200, Cab, heat, FEL and front Snow blower. I looked at it on-line and called the dealer and put down payment on it and told him I'd be there next week to complete the deal.
It had 125Hrs on it and the guy traded up to Grand 60, It's the best thing i have ever bought .

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You might try emailing Andrew at Galer Equipment.
agaler@galerequipment.ca
They sell a LOT of Kubotas !
I bought my BX23S from him(5 minute drive from me....)
While he may not have 'the' tractor for you, he might know of something similar....
Hauling inside Ontario will be a LOT cheaper than anything from 'south of the 49th', especially after exchange,taxes,fees. Though farm equipment ,over certain HP ...= NO GST !
getting tractor cross the boarder is NOT a problem, heck friend just imported a 'rescue' dog 2 weeks ago....
I've never bought any of the 30+ tractors I've owned in the past 3 decade without seeing them, in person. Today though you can have a zillion pictures emailed, full video of it running, etc.

Jay

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Also from Canada .I bought one unseen just saw pics. It was bought from a dealer as well. The Dealer was honest with his decription and took great pride in showing me the dents in the hood as well as the mechanical problem it had with the hydro. I did use a broker and used a trucking company that did less then full loads into Canada . Once it was in my hands everything that was wrong with it was exactly as what was decribed. Once fixed it was a excellent tractor served me well. I saved a pile of $$ doing this.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I bought my L4240 from a Kubota dealer in Jackson, Tenn. sight unseen and had them ship it after I set up the carrier. Absolutely no problems.

Also bought a D2Cat in Indiana from an individual. Had pictures and several phone conversations, the paid and had it delivered by a freight hauler I set up. No problems there either. Still have and use both machines.

Purchased a Ditchwitch R40 trencher from a dealer in Wichita, Ks. Had a few conversations the the salesman and in one of the conversations he mentioned he was coming up within 30 miles of me and could bring it with him. I agreed on a price and told him when he got here I would dig a trench and if it worked as he described I would pay the agreed price, or else he could haul it back. I still have it also!

Ask a lot of questions. Have them written down on paper. Leave room to scribble an answer when you call. I always ask for pictures. Send me pictures of every thing on there a woman would ask about, like why is this glass broken, or this scratch, or tear in the seat. I want to see all the bad.....

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have bought a tractor unseen. Well, that is if you don't count photos for $5,000. I have also bought a Ford F450 crane truck off of eBay for $6,000. Both were as advertised and did not disappoint. Had the crane truck not functioned properly I would not have a had to go thru with the transaction even though I had to travel halfway across the country to witness its splendor and drive it home. According to Charlie Munger the "architect" of Berkshire Hathaway the secret to life is to keep expectations low. The majority of people will not try to cheat anyone in my opinion.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
No, had an issue with a new tractor that was set up and failed the delivery check. Couldn’t be made to run right. Walked.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is like a mail order bride. Sometimes the pictures are truthful, and other times the sender lies. Once you buy it, you own it, and rarely is it going to go back. I bought my BX23S used with 85 hours on it, and it has a bunch of scratches, that I can live with. I saved about $5000 on the deal. The previous owner was a stone mason, and he worked the tractor. Now it lives a pampered life in a garage. Some compound and wax removed most of the scratches. It will need a new grill guard ($200), because somehow he managed to bend one of the horns, but I will probably never replace it, although I do like the new 2021 BX23S grille guards.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I would. Guy bought our truck sight unseen. He wanted it (somewhat rare model in NZ) and I'd priced it to sell. I felt sorry for him, so did a FaceTime call with him, walked him round it and showed him all the scratches etc. He flew up to pick it up though, so he would have had the option to back out if he had to. 8 hour drive for him to take it home.

I'd pick the one you want, then see what level of video show and tell, and good talk to the seller. Decide if you've seen enough. If you have, buy it. Sure, it's a risk, but it's worth a look. If you have any doubts, get on a plane. Flying down will cost less than trying to return it.

If you can find one in Canada I'd guess that'd be better from imports/taxes viewpoint. Although I thought in places the border between Canada and USA is basically unpoliced, and you can just drive over it. Not sure what'd happen if you got caught "smuggling" though.