Would you buy a Harley Davidson.....

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Golf cart for $300.00?

I found one on Craig's List and I'm going to take a look at it if it's still available. It's a gas Harley motor run 3 wheeler. I'm sure my 11 year old daughter will love it and with some modification it might make a cool work vehicle for around the house. Things are selling fast these days if they are any good and I've see lots of Mitsubshi and other small tractors at low prices catch fire and sell fast this spring.

A few prices on the old girls are going down as well. Unfortunately they seem to sell as quickly as they're put up. I'm actively looking around for a rotary tiller and a York rake, so if I stumble across an unbelieveable deal I'll add it to this thread one way or another. Here's a link if you love the old girls as much as I do.

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/2373027346.html

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
If you have a use for it then I say why not, We purchased an old(1970's) 3 wheel EZ-GO electric golf cart in 2004, We paid $400 for it with charger, We put 6 new 6 volt batteries in it in 2004 and are still running around on those same batteries, Its has a rack on the back to hold garden tools and a trailer hitch and it is almost constantly hooked to a small(3' x 6') home made dump trailer which is used to cart the trash cans down to the curb(our driveway is over 300 ft long) We use it to haul mulch ,grass clippings, leaves from spring cleanup,top soil and a load of other chores, It is my better halfs favorite machine, All she does is jump in turn the key place in gear and drive, No worrying about starting problems,running out of fuel or shifting gears as it only has forward and reverse.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
No one here is a Harley Davidson fan? :confused: I know that almost anything with that name is collectible, which I think is another plus when it comes time to pass it on. If I restore it to original condition or customize it a little there should be some collector out there who would pay a premium for it. :)

That's OK, I think my daughter would like it just the way it is. :D

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
No one here is a Harley Davidson fan? :confused: I know that almost anything with that name is collectible, which I think is another plus when it comes time to pass it on. If I restore it to original condition or customize it a little there should be some collector out there who would pay a premium for it. :)

That's OK, I think my daughter would like it just the way it is. :D
Oh man I love Harley's. They are my biggest customer when it comes to bike repairs in my shop. Now if you ask me what I ride well it's a GoldWing but I can't make a living repairing them because the buggers never break down :mad:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
My only comment is be sure to instruct the youngster on proper use. a accident here locally took the life of a 11-12 yr old because she was sliding it in gravel. she took off got up to full speed on gravel down a small hill, crank the handle to slide it. A flip of the machine took her life. if you let a child on it, teach safety!

kytim

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It depends on the year and how bad its torn up. Parts are pretty hard to scroung up for the golf carts, just like the snowmobiles hard to find parts,,, And not to start a war cause long long ago I did ride a hopped up honda 4,, but no I would rather walk than ride a ricer,, just MHO you understand

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I can tell ya this, a friend of mine his mother had a 3 wheel Harley golf cart and its STUPID FAST! We had so much fun playing around on a golf cart at their river house. And seeing how both of us are handy with a wrench we turned it up playing a joke on his mom and she bout had a heartattack with its speed.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Thanks for the link and the information as well as the opinions. Yes, she will know how to use it safely or she won't use it at all.

The big problem right now is trying to contact the seller. I reached him once by e-mail and once by phone, but I still don't know where he or the golf cart are. I was on my way to an appointment when I caught him on my cell phone and wouldn't you know it I can't talk, write and drive at the same time. He wasn't there when I tried to call back for the info.

So, maybe this is not going to work out, but that's life. :rolleyes:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I hear that same BS alot about people selling items from Craigslist. Someones trying to sell something but cant be bothered to answer a phone.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Well, it took a while to get together on this deal but I finally picked it up tonight 5-20-2011. I hope the end of the world scheduled for 5-21-2011 won't ruin the fun the kids will have with it. :D

I ended up paying $200.00. There are now two other carts for $200.00 listed on Craigs List, so I just told the seller that's what I'd pay. He's happy, I'm happy enough, and I may go find the other 3 wheel H-D with a roof up north of me.

This is actually a 1987 Columbia with the 2 cycle H-D motor. I have to put the correct fuel pump in it because the electric pump that's in it is really putting the fuel to the motor and it pops quite a bit. It's not perfect, but overall I've seen worse.

I'll post a few pictures when I get around to it. :)

Last edited:

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I think I'm going to have to check the CL add's out here - see if there's one listed for a good price like that. I live on a golf course, so fixin one up and going fast would be great!

I wouldn't own another HD motorcycle though....been there, done that.....can't figure out why I didn't get a sport/touring bike from the foreign market sooner....HD just can't make anything that doesn't require shop time every year, and weigh less than 800 pounds.....i hear they have heated rear fenders though, so your hands stay warm pushing 'em :p

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
I actually had a chance to buy a 4 wheel Harley cart a week ago, but after looking at it close up I passed. The Columbia I have is turning out to be exactly what I remember every toy I had as a kid being. A major pain in the Ass. Believe me, my donkey doesn't appreciate it. LOL

First it needed a fuel pump, well that was $30.00 and then I figured it could use a carb adjustment and found out the carb had been rather badly mistreated along the line. Now it needs a carb, and they are $270.00 and up new. Try finding a used one though... :mad: I'm still trying.

So a few pictures just for the fun of it.

Attachments

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
We have a Cushman four wheeler needing a lot of work.....similar looking motor....wonder what the interchangeability is for carb's?

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
fj40dave, the chance for interchangeability is probably not good. It has a Walbro WHL 10-1 carburetor that I have only found new so far at $200.00+ (mostly for $264.99 and up) Cushman is another fun toy though I'm sure. I guess I will try to get this carb welded and back in shape before I spend the big bucks.