Working with fluid filled rear tires

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I would like to flip the tires on the rear of my L3901 to get a bit wider stance. From what I have seen I just remove the tire on both sides and flip them to the other side to gain about 7 inches in width....problem these tires are heavy to begin with and these have fluid in them. Any tricks out there for working with this situation? I really don't want to have to drain the fluid and pay for reinstall of fluid. Thanks

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I just had the wheels off of my JD 3720 last weekend. I even tried weighing them as they are filled with windshield washer fluid, my one portable shipping scale has a 400 pound capacity, and it errored out so they are more than 400lbs for certain.

The 'trick" is to never let them fall over, and have an extra set of hands if you can. Using a bottle jack, I lifted on side till most of the weight was off, the removed the lug-studs, then raised a bit more till I could 'walk' the wheel off of the center hub using a side-to-side wiggle motion. Once clear of the machine, roll them away and lean on the wall or another immobile object so it can't fall over. Finally, raise the jack more and place a jackstand under the hub to support the weight of the machine.

To reinstall them, reverse the procedure after removing the jackstand, be very carful to lowering the jack so it moves VERY slowly and controlled so you can wiggle the wheel onto the hub again.

It can be done safely, just take your time, have good equipment (jack in particular), and get help if you can.

Reactions: 3 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sone good jacks, stands, planning and backs would appear to be in order.

So to gain 3.5 inches per side it appears the rim would be dismounted from the dish and each rim/tire combo swapped side for side. Or I suppose dismount the entire wheel/tire assembly from the tractor and swap the dishes.

I saw a tire size chart someone posted a link to on this site in the last month that provided the weight of tires loaded with various fluids. They will be pretty damn heavy, like WAG 700 lbs plus? Could have the mobile tire repair folks come do it.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have swapped CaCl filled 11.2 x 28s a few times. They are probably heavier than yours and Kennyd pretty much covered the process.

I was working on smooth concrete not a dirt floor so easier to jack things up and roll tires around. It's basically a BF&I job. Recruit some help if you can. If you let one fall over you will need help getting it back up - engine hoist. come-a-long, chain hoist, tractor with loader, or a bunch of young muscle...

I am getting too old for this kind of fun so when I bought my L3901 I purchased a tire helper.

Dan

20220921_174014.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
You'll want this surface (arrow in photo) bolted to the outside of the driver's side (other side). You have to have both sides, jacked up and braced.

Have you checked with a tire company as to what it would cost to swap them around with the correct equipment?

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Cient
Have you checked with a tire company as to what it would cost to swap them around with the correct equipment?
One of the benefits of having two or more tractors. Even my ancient Ford can stand a loaded tire up with a 3pt boom and come-a-long.

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Considering you are working on a dirt floor, I suggest laying down some plywood or planks, to make rolling the wheels around easier and a solider base for your jacks and stands.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Just be sure that the tread pattern is correct when you put the tires back on!

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
When I had mine done in 2014 or so, the local Kubota dealer charged me $150. Worth every penny considering the hill I live on.

In retrospect, it might have made more sense to buy an engine picker and do it myself. Oh well

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
43...the second from left
If you haven’t swapped these yet, could I bother you for a quick outside to outside measurement of the way it sits now? And possibly how wide outside to outside on the front?

I ask because I will be swapping from R4s to R1s and want to get an estimation of width before I mount them.

Thanks!

OttoOrange

Equipment
L3560 with LA805 and BH92
Jun 12, 2019
Nova Scotia Canada
I have swapped CaCl filled 11.2 x 28s a few times. They are probably heavier than yours and Kennyd pretty much covered the process.

I was working on smooth concrete not a dirt floor so easier to jack things up and roll tires around. It's basically a BF&I job. Recruit some help if you can. If you let one fall over you will need help getting it back up - engine hoist. come-a-long, chain hoist, tractor with loader, or a bunch of young muscle...

I am getting too old for this kind of fun so when I bought my L3901 I purchased a tire helper.

Dan

View attachment 112013
Hi Dan

Been trying to find a similar “tire helper”. Where did you get yours? Looks like just what I need to help flip my tires and install on the other side for improved wheel spacing.
Thanks
OttoOrange

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi Dan

Been trying to find a similar “tire helper”. Where did you get yours? Looks like just what I need to help flip my tires and install on the other side for improved wheel spacing.
Thanks
OttoOrange
My wheel dolly is made by Hein Werner

Hein Werner is very proud of their products and normally out of my price range but I got lucky and found this one on eBay. It was listed by a business liquidator that really did not know what it was and thought it was missing pieces. Everything was there in the pictures so I offered half of their Buy It Now price and they accepted. I think it came to about $600 with shipping.

Just do a search for "tractor wheel dolly" and you will get all manner of products. Something like the Hein Werner is close to a grand and the shipping is usually the deal killer.

Good luck,

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, wheel dolleys are great BUT sweep the entire floor FIRST ! Now, do it AGAIN ! One itty,bitty nut or bolt can STOP a dolley..
Plan ahead, create a BIG path from side to side and look for 'resting' spots.
Go slow, one lug at a time, if you try to roll like a car tire, it WILL get away from you.
If it does, let it drop ! 500# tire, 200# man...tire wins every time
2 guys is better but I did 8 of them one day alone.Funny how friends and family 'disappeared' that day...