Working on a slope

ufcxl

Aug 22, 2011
Dallas, TX
Okay, sound like we all know to mow up and down on slopes when possible. That said, I am still getting used to sitting up high and I am sure my "pucker" factor needs adjusting. I am going to add a tiltmeter and it sounds like keeping under a 15 degree tilt should be fairly safe (assuming speed and all are factored).

Two questions:
I understand that slope and degrees are different measurements?

What are the relationships between the 2.

Many times I may roll over a pasture terrace with one wheel or roll thru a creek crossing and not haiving adjusted my "pucker" setting, I panic. Help?

I am riding an Orange M6800 mowing and disking.

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
If I recall correctly 100% slope is 45°. A 45° angle is an equal rise over an equal run, ex: 12" rise over a 12" run is a 45° angle.

Edited to add an example!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Save your money. The slope indicator will only tell you what it was just before you tip over, and that only if you happen to be looking at it as the tractor starts its roll.
The problem is if you are close to the roll over point, and hit a rut or rock, away you go, whether you have a meter or not.
If you have a loader, TAKE IT OFF. When in serious doubt, head downhill as quickly as you can. Tire ballast helps. Wheel weights help. Setting your tires out as wide as they will go helps. Fortunately the mower or disk is down on the ground, and helps you.
When you are on the slope crosswise, stop, get off the tractor, and look at where the center of gravity falls between the tires. I reckon the CG is about 1/2 foot above the PTO shaft. As long as it would fall between the tires, you will be OK. Unless you are truly immense, your weight should not have a lot to do with the equation.
Keep your ROPS up, and use the seat belt.

Reactions: 1 user

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Some good points by gpress, we mow up and down as well as along the slope with several different tractors, some more stable than others. I know the 15 degree is often used, but I don't go by it and don't own an inclinometer.

Anytime I get a new tractor I get really familiar with it and gradually evaluate the stability. I've been mowing slopes for over 35 years and still get a bit twitchy on many of them.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Save your money. The slope indicator will only tell you what it was just before you tip over, and that only if you happen to be looking at it as the tractor starts its roll.
The problem is if you are close to the roll over point, and hit a rut or rock, away you go, whether you have a meter or not.
If you have a loader, TAKE IT OFF. When in serious doubt, head downhill as quickly as you can. Tire ballast helps. Wheel weights help. Setting your tires out as wide as they will go helps. Fortunately the mower or disk is down on the ground, and helps you.
When you are on the slope crosswise, stop, get off the tractor, and look at where the center of gravity falls between the tires. I reckon the CG is about 1/2 foot above the PTO shaft. As long as it would fall between the tires, you will be OK. Unless you are truly immense, your weight should not have a lot to do with the equation.
Keep your ROPS up, and use the seat belt.
I got into a situation of day 2 with my tractor that I was the counter weight and couldn't get completely off without it tipping. Luckily my neighbor with his bobcat was home. I was hanging off the side like I was sailing. Not fun.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I was going to post up earlier but some already beat me to it.

Slopes andgles and degrees are just different ways of looking at the same lines.

But one thing missing from the charts that needs to be in the mix is ratios like 2 to 1 slopes ect.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Go slow take your time dont get into a hurry and keep your rops up and click the seat belt. If things start to go south and you beging to roll cross your arms over your shoulders grab your shirt tuck ya head down and ride with it.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

I totally agree that safety equipment should always be used, however unless you are on a tractor with a fully enclosed cab designed as a totally integrated ROPS, (a cab that would prevent collapse, and prevent you from falling out), wearing a seatbelt would be kinda like strapping yourself to a motorcycle.

I am always as safe and cautious as I can possibly be and I am always thinking about what might happen in the next few seconds, but after an incident back in the early 70's when I had a Bota sporting a belly mount mower roll over I never wear a seatbelt, I was lucky I didn't have it on that day.

I was mowing a minor slope I had been mowing for several years without issue, but that day I found a rock I had never even known was there, I was moving at a snails pace, and I knew the instant the rear tire on the uphill side rode up on the rock, it was just enough to roll the tractor, I jumped off on the downhill side and actually pushed the tractor back down on it's tires, (it was a smaller tractor), but since it was still in gear it lunged and came back at me, I will never forget the look or the feeling I had when I looked up from the ditch I landed in and saw those mower blades coming at me, I was indeed lucky that day, I managed to get out of the ditch before the blades landed where I had been.

The point of this story is:

First and foremost, any slope can become deadly if the right conditions exist, and just because that rock or limb/log wasn't there yesterday, doesn't mean it won't be there today or tomorrow.

Just because the ground was solid and firm the last time you drove over it doesn't mean it won't be soft or slide this time.

Knowing your machine, and the ground you are driving on really helps, but conditions are constantly changing.

Always expect the unexpected, and keep your mind on what you are doing, operating a tractor can become VERY Dangerous in a heartbeat.

I have been operating tractors for 48 years now and even though I have had a few close calls Thankfully I am still alive and ticking, and still have all 10 fingers and toes, yea i got lucky a few times, but being prepared to react when something went wrong helped the most.

Tractors and chainsaws have alot in common, they can turn deadly before you can blink an eye, never turn your back on either one, and NEVER assume you are in charge!

The instant you think it can't or won't happen to you, is the same instant it will get you.

Best Regards

Paul

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was mowing a minor slope I had been mowing for several years without issue, but that day I found a rock I had never even known was there, I was moving at a snails pace, and I knew the instant the rear tire on the uphill side rode up on the rock, it was just enough to roll the tractor, I jumped off on the downhill side and actually pushed the tractor back down on it's tires, (it was a smaller tractor), but since it was still in gear it lunged and came back at me, I will never forget the look or the feeling I had when I looked up from the ditch I landed in and saw those mower blades coming at me, I was indeed lucky that day, I managed to get out of the ditch before the blades landed where I had been.

At that point in time I think I'd rather want to be safely ontop of the tractor strapped in then on the bottom trying to run like hell from moving blades. Seat belts on a tractor are no different then seatbelts on a car. Both keep you in place for a reason.

Reactions: 1 user

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
At that point in time I think I'd rather want to be safely ontop of the tractor strapped in then on the bottom trying to run like hell from moving blades. Seat belts on a tractor are no different then seatbelts on a car. Both keep you in place for a reason.
Hey Eric,

Not to start a debate, or arguement, but have you ever rode out a tractor rolling over?

I have known 3 guys that tried to ride out a rolling tractor, all 3 died.

The biggest difference between a tractor and a car is the car has a full cage around you, a tractor without an integrated ROPS cab doesn't.

I would even agree to using a seatbelt with an open air 4 point ROPS, but not with a 2 point.

When that tractor us upside down you are NOT on top of it.

I don't take safety for granted my friend.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Best Regards

Paul

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My ROPS goes well above my head. I'd rather stay with the top of the tractor, belted in and hunched down, than be tossed free and maybe wind up beneath it.

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
I have a b7100 and 30 acres of mostly slopes. I couldnt get used to the feeling that I was about to go over, so after installing a rops and getting new hubs I decided to either sell the tractor or solve the problem. I looked at tilt meters but like the other posters, I see that a rollover happens not when you are looking, but when you arent looking. My neighbor rolled a JD 40 dozer when he got into a hole that was hidden in the snow.

I installed dual wheels on my 7100, and it made the difference between selling the tractor and feeling safe.

Heres how: its easy. I bought a used set of rear tires from a cub cadet lowboy shipped here from Ky for 125.00. Then I got two steel rims (14") and cut out the web with my grinder. The resulting rings are the spacers between the tires and fit perfectly. I used 3/4" all thread with locking nuts on both sides and bolted the sets of tires together. The result is the difference between night and day.

Its been three years now. This seems to work very well, and it didnt cost a lot of money. There is no substitute for taking precautions, being alert, not playing the radio while mowing, and observing the laws of gravity-- but dual wheels are very nice to have.

ufcxl

Aug 22, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'll start paying attention to the COG. I think that matched with a tilt meter helps me know how close without going over.

Sitting up high magnifies the feeling of the angle. I like the idea of jacking up one side as well to get a "safe" feel for the various angles.

I believe in both "seat o'pants" backed up by technology. That's why the tiltmeter will be added.

Thanks for the input.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have a b7100 and 30 acres of mostly slopes. I couldnt get used to the feeling that I was about to go over, so after installing a rops and getting new hubs I decided to either sell the tractor or solve the problem. I looked at tilt meters but like the other posters, I see that a rollover happens not when you are looking, but when you arent looking. My neighbor rolled a JD 40 dozer when he got into a hole that was hidden in the snow.

I installed dual wheels on my 7100, and it made the difference between selling the tractor and feeling safe.

Heres how: its easy. I bought a used set of rear tires from a cub cadet lowboy shipped here from Ky for 125.00. Then I got two steel rims (14") and cut out the web with my grinder. The resulting rings are the spacers between the tires and fit perfectly. I used 3/4" all thread with locking nuts on both sides and bolted the sets of tires together. The result is the difference between night and day.

Its been three years now. This seems to work very well, and it didnt cost a lot of money. There is no substitute for taking precautions, being alert, not playing the radio while mowing, and observing the laws of gravity-- but dual wheels are very nice to have.
I'd like to see some pics of your dualie setup.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I got into a situation of day 2 with my tractor that I was the counter weight and couldn't get completely off without it tipping. Luckily my neighbor with his bobcat was home. I was hanging off the side like I was sailing. Not fun.
Bosshoss, a story like that is no good without pictures!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I had the same problem, and came up with the same solution, plus the ROPS cage... I widened my L3200 out to the same 66" as this old L185 was when I finished with it.

Attachments

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
GPreuss

Thanks for publishing the picture of your L185 with dual rear wheels. That looks like a very good way to go to provide additional stability.

I think my L2550 is even narrower than the L185, and I decided to take a different approach: I just ordered an L4600. It should arrive in another couple of weeks. I’m excited! Should be a lot more tractor. I’m getting R-4 tires and Rimguard on all four wheels. That should provide good stability. Also has more power, which is nice.

Your land is beautiful! Please post more pictures of tractors and land.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd be excited about an L4600 too! Having adjustable rear wheels would be wonderful!
There are more pictures of my dualie setup in another thread on the site.
As for ufcxl's issues, the attached wheel spacers are available on ebay, and are excellent! I used them to widen my L3200 out to 66" - the width of the loader bucket. They definitely make you feel better on the side of a hill! I take the FEL off as well.

Attachments

Last edited: