Work at my place or be nice to the neighbors?

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I'm torn between wanting to do more work on clearing an area where I plan on putting in a pond or being nice to a couple of neighbors that are waiting for this weekend. You see, it's opening weekend of rifle hunting for deer where my weekend place is located in the woods.

If I get in there with the tractor and work all day I'm sure to drive the deer away from the area or at least get them skittish.

I use the word hunting, but I consider it harvesting since the common method here is to use feeders. If deer are conditioned to follow a pattern of visiting a feeder every day it's harvesting. I consider hunting to be going out and trying to take game that is following it's natural pattern. I know there is still luck needed to take deer using a feeder and with small properties that is pretty much the only way to get them on your property to harvest. I really have nothing against it, I just don't find a thrill in doing it and neither do some of my neighbors. But a few do.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to go get some work done; I guess I'll wait at least till next weekend. I know this was kinda off topic but I just needed to rant about not being able to use my B7300. Especially since I just put on R1s to try and get more traction over the turfs I had on it.

howald

Equipment
B7001
Apr 2, 2009
Fruitvale, BC, Canada
I talked to some loggers around here and the deer and elk are like rats running around them all day. Something about they get to eat all the fresh green that they couldn't reach before.

Next time I go hunting, instead of being quiet and sneaking, I'll walk around with my chainsaw running and see what comes running :D

I say run your tractor. Sounds like your deer are pretty habitualized to people anyway.

Nick

I'm torn between wanting to do more work on
clearing an area where I plan on putting in a pond or being nice to a couple of neighbors that are waiting for this weekend. You see, it's opening weekend of rifle hunting for deer where my weekend place is located in the woods.

If I get in there with the tractor and work all day I'm sure to drive the deer away from the area or at least get them skittish.

I use the word hunting, but I consider it harvesting since the common method here is to use feeders. If deer are conditioned to follow a pattern of visiting a feeder every day it's harvesting. I consider hunting to be going out and trying to take game that is following it's natural pattern. I know there is still luck needed to take deer using a feeder and with small properties that is pretty much the only way to get them on your property to harvest. I really have nothing against it, I just don't find a thrill in doing it and neither do some of my neighbors. But a few do.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to go get some work done; I guess I'll wait at least till next weekend. I know this was kinda off topic but I just needed to rant about not being able to use my B7300. Especially since I just put on R1s to try and get more traction over the turfs I had on it.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
I would take a look at the issue this way, Who's property is it anyway, it is yours and you entitled to do what you need to do to maintain improve your property. Go and do what you want to do as it is yours and you have every right to do what you want as long as you want.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I agree with Michael, it's your property and you paid for it so do what you want and enjoy life. Your Kubota is already hunter orange so you should be ok when Bubba starts shooting at noises in the brush :eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to agree with these guys, though the sound of your tractor running might bother the hunters it wont matter a rip to the deer. When I was a kid some of the locals here in SW Pa would load up a hay wagon and drive around inthe fields, hay and corn,, we didnt have a corn picker like the new ones that take everything,, and those stupid deer would just stand there watching them go by... Critters become accustomed to sounds in their areas, and when they understand that the tractor or drilling rig or lumber men is of no threat they dont worry and continue about their day

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Same at my house.... the deer just watch me do my thing obliviousto meot the tractor..... Butch