Woe is me... Ballast box problems

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
FWIW I bought a JD "Green" ballast box at a swap meet last fall, and even though it was a "good deal" it will not fit onto the BX23S with or without a quick hitch. I have come to the conclusion that the only way that I will get a ballast box that will work both with and without a quick hitch is to design one myself and then weld up the parts. I have also considered cutting the sides of the Kubota ballast box off and then welding in a new piece of steel to make it into a straight-sided ballast box. I have some great ideas but am lacking both the desire and energy to put them into play. There is a local shop that builds snow pushers and I have talked to them about building ballast boxes that are specifically designed for the BX80 series tractors, but I don't know if there is enough demand for them to do a production run. I guess it will all depend on costs and return on the investment.
Just buy a box blade, make a box on top and add additional weight. Then you will have something useful out back, not just weight.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would, but a land plane will better suit my needs. I don't want a box blade!!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I would, but a land plane will better suit my needs. I don't want a box blade!!
Either. Just add weight and have a useful implement instead of just a box of concrete. But the box blade is more compact for working in close areas.

Reactions: 1 user

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Hey downeaster, would this work on our BX1880? Am looking too as this is my 1st tractor And learn as I go.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
I purchased this ballast box and just got a Speedo quick hitch. I haven’t had a chance to test fit yet as I’m still waiting on the tires for my tractor. I can try and test fit today and see.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Looks like it fits. Difficult to tell for sure if both bottom pins will seat in at the bottom to distribute the weight, but the gap appears to be about the same on each side which bodes well.
This is the Speeco E hitch from Good Works Tractors and the box is the Vevor box I posted above. I will do an actual fit once I get my tractor before I add weight so if I need to mod the box it'll be easier.
Hope this helps someone else. I know it was difficult for me to find verified quick hitch compatible boxes that weren't $400+.

IMG_4022.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
So whats the benefit of using a quick hitch instead of just mounting to the 3 point hitch? Still learning this stuff.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
QH is supossed to be easier than 3PH to get implements on and off.......
though I opted for another far easier solution.

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
So whats the benefit of using a quick hitch instead of just mounting to the 3 point hitch? Still learning this stuff.
If your implement is QH compatible you don’t even have to get off of the tractor to hook it up. Both my tiller and flair mower are QH compatible, really handy for heavy implements like them.