Winter wear/ Insulated gear

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I picked up some 32⁰Heat long undies and long sleeve shirt at Costco that I really like. I believe they are polypropylene. Thin, light, wicks perspiration, keeps me warm. Top it off with Berne outerwear insulated bibs and coat and it's perfect for plowing snow on the open station M5660.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Hi Everyone!

I wanted your opinion on what you all wear in the cold and extreme cold temperatures. I am not trying to start a war on brands or where a company stands. I do more stationary work for my job.

I wear insulated underwear and lined Carhartt works pants plus insulated arctic bibs. In 30 degree weather. I live outside Nashville, Tennessee. I am really cold natured so sometimes I wear 2 sets of arctic bibs. I know that may be odd, but it is the only way I have found to stay warm.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what to wear? Thank you.
I wear good base layer, regular work pants. Work jacket, knee high insulated muck boots, insulated work gloves. Insulated Hoodie under the work jacket. Goggles if the wind gets up. However most of the time I am in a machine so I just wear shorts, t-shirt and Flip flops.

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I saw a mention about heated work wear. Milwaukee has their own line that uses their tool batteries. My BIL does hvac and swears by them. Of course it helps when your business makes that purchase for you and provides extra batteries. For me I like good old wool socks and my Rocky boots rated to -35F. Good long Johns and I have a set of Walls Blizzard gear, jacket and coveralls. If I know I’m gonna be out for an extended amount of time, I grab my Dad’s old Peacock hand warmer. It runs on lighter fluid or white gas and will keep you toasty for 8hrs. The smaller ones will stay warm for around 3 hrs. Slip that in to the inside pocket of the coveralls and you will be warm. I’ve had to stop plowing snow and take it out due to getting too hot.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Hi Everyone!

I wanted your opinion on what you all wear in the cold and extreme cold temperatures. I am not trying to start a war on brands or where a company stands. I do more stationary work for my job.

I wear insulated underwear and lined Carhartt works pants plus insulated arctic bibs. In 30 degree weather. I live outside Nashville, Tennessee. I am really cold natured so sometimes I wear 2 sets of arctic bibs. I know that may be odd, but it is the only way I have found to stay warm.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what to wear? Thank you.

Try getting your blood analyzed .................. that is unless you are 80 years old.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Don't forget the head ! I like a thick wool seaman's hat.
I love my rabbit fur mad bomber. When flaps are down it is very warm. With ears up it may attract the attention of PC PETA crowd.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Lots of good advise here, I’m a big fan of base layers and/or laying in general. Best work very well for me in this regard, keeps the core temp up. I use smart wool products. Kinda pricey but so far everything I’ve purchased has been very good quality.
One thing that might not have been mentioned is acclimating yourself to the cold. We live in similar climates, I’m 3 hours north of Nashville. I’m a warm blooded person so the cold doesn’t bother me that much but each winter and summer I try to acclimate to the conditions so as there’s less affect on my body while I’m out in it.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I am glad someone mentioned the heated gear - never used it myself, but wanted to know it works well!
Do they make a set of "clothes" that could tap into the tractor wiring ? AKA - the 12 volt plug port? Getting on and off the tractor might be a PITA but never running out of battery life would be great!
My clothes use the tractor for power.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I wear Tough Duck's. I used to buy Carhartt until my local stores stopped stocking them all the time, so switched to Tough Duck as they looked similar and never went back.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I am glad someone mentioned the heated gear - never used it myself, but wanted to know it works well!
Do they make a set of "clothes" that could tap into the tractor wiring ? AKA - the 12 volt plug port? Getting on and off the tractor might be a PITA but never running out of battery life would be great!
I use the Milwaukee gear. Coat and gloves. It uses their 12v battery system, no worries working all day.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Around here it's getting hard to find good stuff like Carhartt or Tough Duck any more. Our two biggest stores that sold that kind of stuff, TSC (now Peavey Mart) and Mark's Work Wharehouse are now more interested in selling flannel yuppie city dweller apparel for taking your dog out for a walk while looking like a member of Pearl Jam, instead of stocking real working man's apparel.

Reactions: 1 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Around here it's getting hard to find good stuff like Carhartt or Tough Duck any more. Our two biggest stores that sold that kind of stuff, TSC (now Peavey Mart) and Mark's Work Wharehouse are now more interested in selling flannel yuppie city dweller apparel for taking your dog out for a walk while looking like a member of Pearl Jam, instead of stocking real working man's apparel.

I had a conversation with my neighbor about that exact topic a few weeks ago. I had to go to three different stored to find a pair of insulated work gloves. Canadian tire usually has a decent selection of Tough Duck stuff; but not always.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I think one-piece coveralls keep the wind out best. I have a pair with a fleece lining around the upper torso that are quite nice for working in. They are sized liberally to allow as many layers beneath as I need.

But my warmest is actually a Helly Hansen floatation suit. Bright red and yellow, basically a life jacket on steroids so a little stiffer to work in, but absolutely wind proof and warm. And if I go through the ice, I'll bob like a cork. <lol>

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I think one-piece coveralls keep the wind out best. I have a pair with a fleece lining around the upper torso that are quite nice for working in. They are sized liberally to allow as many layers beneath as I need.

But my warmest is actually a Helly Hansen floatation suit. Bright red and yellow, basically a life jacket on steroids so a little stiffer to work in, but absolutely wind proof and warm. And if I go through the ice, I'll bob like a cork. <lol>
not float suits. But when I ran a heavy haul wrecker we had the HH insulated 1 piece. They were so warm, I’d put it on on the side of the road. Then take it off before I got back in my truck lol

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I have some friends that work in the oil patch in Alberta and that's all they have is Helly Hansen.
I've never tried any of their stuff, but they all swear by them.