Winter wear/ Insulated gear

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have switched over to light duty heated gear. I loved losing the bulk and not only are you not cold, you are actually warm.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Two years ago I picked up snowmobile bib overalls. At the time they were 1/2 the price of a good Carhartt. They are reasonably warm but my biggest complaint with them was their bulkiness. Because of the insulation they used I felt like the Pillsbury Doughboy. A month ago when I dug them out, the leg zippers were both fubared. I couldn't get them free. Same old lesson - buy once cry once. buy twice cry twice.

I now have Carhartt Super Dux overalls with Thinsulate. They are not only warm but very comfortable. That said, it's very seldom we get temps below 0*F. My old insulated MC gloves, a lined jacket, warm boots and either a hoodie or balaclava finish out my fashion statement for the cold.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Hi Everyone!

I wanted your opinion on what you all wear in the cold and extreme cold temperatures. I am not trying to start a war on brands or where a company stands. I do more stationary work for my job.

I wear insulated underwear and lined Carhartt works pants plus insulated arctic bibs. In 30 degree weather. I live outside Nashville, Tennessee. I am really cold natured so sometimes I wear 2 sets of arctic bibs. I know that may be odd, but it is the only way I have found to stay warm.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what to wear? Thank you.
Heated clothes. I can stay warm at -30 degrees.

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I wear t shirt, sweatshirt hat and gloves. all cahart. i wear biological insulation year round, got it for free. Its called FAT.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have switched over to light duty heated gear. I loved losing the bulk and not only are you not cold, you are actually warm.
I am glad someone mentioned the heated gear - never used it myself, but wanted to know it works well!
Do they make a set of "clothes" that could tap into the tractor wiring ? AKA - the 12 volt plug port? Getting on and off the tractor might be a PITA but never running out of battery life would be great!

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I wear t shirt, sweatshirt hat and gloves. all cahart. i wear biological insulation year round, got it for free. Its called FAT.

haha ya the Budweiser insulation factor!! I dropped almost 20 lbs during the fall, the cold does feel different now.

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022
Thank you all so much for your help and advice! I have a great idea what gear to get and how to layer properly.

I hope you all have a great day!

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
i just came in from 80 mi snowmobile ride, O/A temp 20f, speed 0 up to 80. Cold nope, Its all about the base layer, light fleece pants, good Smartwool socks, light poly t-neck under shirt, light fleece top, Good insulated/ waterproof bibs, Tec Vest for protection, good insulated /waterproof jacket and same for gloves. Helmet and go.

Reactions: 1 users

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada

Have an uncle who puts one of these in each hunting boot. Sounded great, thought it would extend motorcycle season. WELL -- a 50 mph draft across a pair of boots is a real eye opening experience 🔥🔥🔥

hahaha i tried that with a pair of gloves when i had my 1200 bandit.. you are right its not a good idea at speed... $150 and heated grips for the win on that one...

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Yes, BASE LAYER most important!!
Check out Terramar and Coldpruf, that's what I wear skiing.

Jay Peak VT last week was -17. 2 baselayers, long sleeve shirt and med weight sweatshirt, Gore Tex Shell and I was fine.

Shell is important too for exposure. Gore tex or equivalent is also very important for long durations outside in the elements. It sucks to pay $300-$500 for a weatherproof shell, but if you love skiing or work outdoors its what you need.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Honestly I can’t put my insulated gear on without starting to sweat….I wonder how can you move will all that stuff on…like Randy in Christmas Story?…I am not trying to be rude. I’d start with how you keep your core warm. If you do get that cold I’d recommend some electric liner jacket and gloves…gerbing used to make decent stuff and I suspect there are other makes. Maybe check the sledders… am from Midwest / bow hunter/stand hunter and have a place up by Lake Erie and I can’t really image needing all that gear in TN. But if so maybe check out electric gear.

Carharttmanxxl

Jan 25, 2022
Honestly I can’t put my insulated gear on without starting to sweat….I wonder how can you move will all that stuff on…like Randy in Christmas Story?…I am not trying to be rude. I’d start with how you keep your core warm. If you do get that cold I’d recommend some electric liner jacket and gloves…gerbing used to make decent stuff and I suspect there are other makes. Maybe check the sledders… am from Midwest / bow hunter/stand hunter and have a place up by Lake Erie and I can’t really image needing all that gear in TN. But if so maybe check out electric gear.
You are not being rude. It can be hard to move at times lol. I wear Carhartt glove liners with heavy insulated gloves over that. I am going to check the places you recommend. I would like to take 30 minutes to dress to go to work lol. 😆

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 47704

Do you have any of the merino wool underwear? i picked up 4 pairs.. crazy expensive however worth every penny for outdoor activities.. They were i think $44 a pair.
Polypro is better than wool

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I got my sister and daughter both heater vests for christmas off the Home Depot website. $125,ea on sale. They both love them and wear them daily.
Back when I ice fished alot I wore a down jacket. It was very very light weight and at -20*f drilling holes on Winnapasauki in the winter I was always warm.