Winter Oil

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Ok, what are you guys running for winter oil??? 'Round here it seems like the only thing available in deisel formulations is 15-40. That seems like it might be a little thick at -6 F like it was this morning. Have an M4500 with the 6 cyl 2300 motor. Seems to start fine in the cold, and I let it run a few moments before increasing engine speed any. Shell Rotella T 15w-40 in it at the moment. I think the manual says 10w-30 below 32 degrees, but I can't find that multi-weight in a deisel oil. RC

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Amsoil 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil. Pour point rated at -56 F. Started my L 3000 at -11F without even using glow plugs.

I know you said winter oil. This is year round oil and I don't change mine but one time a year.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Amsoil in everything I own from my R/C cars to my bulldozer. If it takes a lubricant I have a Amsoil product in it.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I suppose the typical stock items are different in other areas. Here though it seems like everybody carries 15w-40 multigrade for their off-the shelf deisel oil, even Auto Zone and TSC. The exception might be some of the synthetics and I just can't bring myself to put $6 a quart oil in a 16 year old tractor, especially when it takes 14 quarts. Talked to a couple of local contractors today that have multiple deisel engines and they have noticed the same thing, both said they just run the Shell Rotella 15w-40 year 'round. Just wondered if anybody'd ever run into any issues using something a tad heavier than what's in the book.
I don't have any starting issues with this tractor, seems to crank really nice and starts right off if you use the glow plugs. The S2600 series 6 cyl in the M4500 is not going to start without the glow plugs at any temp below about 70 (unlike Bulldog's L series). Well... time to go move some round bales.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Kubota Newbie, just curious if your tractor either burns or leaks any oil to amount to anything. I could definately understand not wanting to spend extra money on oil if it was doing that. Synthetic oil cost is much higher and if the initial cost is all you look at then it doesn't look good at all. The benefits of synthetics start adding up after the oil is in the engine. I don't try to push Amsoil on anyone but I love telling what and how it helps me. I'll give you one example of saving money using it. My 97 F 250 powerstroke. I bought the truck used and it had just been serviced. I found out it had rotella in it which I think is a very good oil. I ran it and kept a check on my milage. When I changed it the first time I went with Mobil Delvac and kept up with the MPG again. I wanted to have a good base line so I would be able to see if a 15qt oil change was justifiable using Amsoil. It costs about $200 to change the oil and all the filters. Long story short, I gained 4 to 5 MPG and run the oil for 10,000 miles between changes. During that time using Amsoil saves me $500 in fuel cost alone. The way I see it the Amsoil lets me keep $300 in my pocket and even covers the original purchase price of the oil and filters. If I just looked at the $200 price tag I wouldn't use it either. To me though, the big picture is where it really counts and saving money is the bottom line. The extra component life is a bonus.

Another plus about Amsoil is by using it a American founded and owned company is supported. I don't care about making a big overseas oil company richer.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Hey Bulldog,
No, no leaks, and no sign of oil consumption. I use some synthetics in certain applications, Shaeffers moly/synthetic in my motorcycle and Mobile 1 in the old Cub Cadet that runs my snow blower (it has the old starter/generator and won't crank fast enough to start when really cold unless I put the 0w-30 synthetic in it, but it only holds a quart and a half, talk about an oil that will find your leaks!). I use an extended life synthetic & filter in the Crown-Vic since we put miles on it fairly fast and I know how it's been treated since almost new. I've checked the mileage thing several times over the years in my Dodge truck, our Ford Crown-Vic and a couple different mototcycles and have never seen any real "repeatable" difference with synthetics, at least in my applications. The moly synthetic does seem to make a noticable difference in the shift quality on my bikes though.
In the case of this old M4500 I doubt I'd realize any benefit from the synthetic. In truth, It'll be due for an oil change well before I wear out either a conventional or synthetic multi-grade just due to the change in the seasons/heating and cooling of the crank case and repeated condensation and drying out in the crank case. I'll make 10-12 acres of hay, clip the pasture, plow the garden and move a few round bales in the course of a year, all together that probably barely adds up to the 150 hour service interval. It's also 26 years old and already has almost 1000 hours on it. I'm pretty certain that it never had a synthetic anything in it over the last 26 years. Now... If I'd just spent 20 or 30 grand on a new, or almost new tractor then I'd probably be doing what you are. But for now a standard multi-grade (and a can of Shaeffers Moly EP Treatment) will have to do.
Dang, wish I could milk 4 mpg out of my Dodge with a better oil! Evidently lubrication isn't a limiting factor in that engine/vehicle combo in relation to mileage.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi again Kubota Newbie,
I grew up using regular petrolium products on our farm. There was only 3 oils made according to what I heard for years. Mobil or Motorcraft engine oil and IH Hi-tran hydraulic oil for the tractors. I had never used anything but Mobil oil after I got up big enough to help do PM on our equipment. When I started driving my own truck I continued using Mobil. It was and still is a good product. When Mobil One came out I tried it and it seemed to make the engine a little quieter and the temp seemed to hold down just a bit lower than it did before. As far as I was concerned there was nothing better out there for a engine. Then a friend of mine thru a curve ball in my game and ask if I had ever heard of Amsoil Synthetics. I really didn't care about switching oils. I was happy with what I was using. He kept on and wouldn't stop telling me about what I was missing. Better milage he said. Smoother shifts, lower temps, smooth idle and on and on and on. Then he said that he would give me a oil change if I would try it. It was free if I couldn't tell a difference but if I could then he had some backhoe work that he needed done. I felt like that was a win for me either way because I would have done the digging for him reguardless. I put it in my 95 F 150 4x4. It had about 20K on it then and was getting a whopping 9 MPG driving back and forth to work. If I just creeped around and never got in it I might stretch 10 MPG out of it but that was rare. The first tank of gas I went thru after the Amsoil I got 11 MPG. Changed the trans / transfer case and gain 2 more. Did the diffs and picked up 1 more. In total I was averaging 14 - 15 MPG and had done nothing but change the oil. I still have the truck and even setting on 33's it still gets about 14 when I drive it.

Mobil One for whatever reason does nothing for the gas milage. It doesn't hurt it any but any increase is so small I never noticed it when I used it myself. After seeing for myself what Amsoil did in my pick up I started looking at it for other applications. I didn't just start switching everything over just from one showing. I tested it in everything and had to see a difference for myself before I would switch. If it couldn't make a improvement then I couldn't justify the cost. I have Amsoil in everything I own. It make a difference that you can see for yourself in every application. As dumb as this sounds, you can notice a difference in something as simple as a chainsaw or weedeater. It make a noticable difference in run times. I have a couple of R/C cars with 2 stroke engines on them. The Amsoil two stroke oil increased the run times almost 15 minutes. I don't know what Dodge you have but my brother had a 02 2500 king cab 4x4 with the HO Diesel and a 6 speed. After changing to Amsoil he was getting 26-27 MPG out of it.

Like I said before, this is from my own experience using Amsoil products. I don't work for them and don't gain anything from telling about Amsoil. I am a dealer but did this just where I could get the oil easier for my own use. I have ordered oil for people in the past but I sell it to them for what it cost me. The sure way I know for anybody to become a believer is to try it for yourself. It only takes one time and you will see the difference. I gave it one try and that was 15 years ago and I'm still seeing the difference.

jeepfreak1972

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Oct 28, 2010
Ravenna, MI
Same oil I use. Very Happy with it.

Amsoil 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil. Pour point rated at -56 F. Started my L 3000 at -11F without even using glow plugs.

I know you said winter oil. This is year round oil and I don't change mine but one time a year.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I hope Amsoil has been as good to you as it has been to me. I'm sure it has been though. I have never found anything on the market that even comes close.

jeepfreak1972

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Oct 28, 2010
Ravenna, MI
Works awesome in everything I try it in. Some other forums I have mentioned it in though just causes arguments. Some people are so set in their ways there is no changing their minds.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Works awesome in everything I try it in. Some other forums I have mentioned it in though just causes arguments. Some people are so set in their ways there is no changing their minds.
I agree with you all the way. Just going to change your last sentence just a little.

Most people are so set in their ways there is no changing their minds. I'm very picky when it comes to my tractors and what goes in them. They are way to expensive to repair or replace so why go cheap on the life blood that keeps our Kubotas running. To each there on I guess.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree with you all the way. Just going to change your last sentence just a little.

Most people are so set in their ways there is no changing their minds. I'm very picky when it comes to my tractors and what goes in them. They are way to expensive to repair or replace so why go cheap on the life blood that keeps our Kubotas running. To each there on I guess.
Watch it, there. This sure sounds like an Amsoil commercial. There are so many factors involved, you will still have a hard time convincing me that Amsoil is the oil that beats all. I have no doubt that it is good. I just doubt that it is any better, given the costs. I belong to many different forums, and this arguement will go on forever. I respect your results, but at the same time, I know good and well what has worked for me all these years. I have a Dodge/Cummins with 190,000 miles on it, all of them with non-amsoil, dino oil in it, and it still goes strong, with no end in sight. And, I get the expected mileage. Not 26 or 27, but that is pretty impossible in these 7000 pound trucks. So, while I respect your opinion, don't use condescending comments like "to each their own I guess", because Amsoil isn't the only oil out there that works, or that is a good value.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hello Hodge, I only said to each their own just because I respect your opinion. That's what's so great about having so many choices. Each person can find a product that they like and use it. I have no doubt your Dodge has 190,000 on it and is running fine. No telling how many are out there doing the same thing and never had a drop of synthetic oil in them. A good PM program is just as important as what you put in.

I'm sorry if my comments sounded like a Amsoil commercial. Not my intentions at all. That's why I say that I like to share what Amsoil has done for me or maybe some stories of people who are close to me that I have been personally involved in the results that I share with others. If I give info that's hear say I will say that point in advance because I don't like second hand info. My friends brothers cousins sisters hunband type stories do absolutely nothing for me. As hard as it may seem my brothers Dodge did get 26 to 27 mpg on the freeway and about 24 or 25 normal driving. Just to run it down it was a 02 Dodge king cab 4x4, HO cummins, 6 speed, 4:10 diffs, 285/75r16 Cooper Discoverer Radial ST tires and it was 7400 lbs which was weighed on certified truck scales. His truck did have Amsoil from end to end. Engine, power steering, trans and transfer case and the diffs. The MPG numbers I listed was repeatedly checked by both of us and were as accurate as they could be. They weren't a pick and choose deal in which we took the best possible conditions where we kept the best and thru out the rest. We checked it on flat ground, mountains, freeways and just plain everyday driving conditions. The 5 MPG gain on my F 250 powerstroke has been done in the same conditions over a 4 yr time span. Again, I do not work for Amsoil and gain nothing from their sales. If you choose to buy it or not doesn't affect me either way. With that being said, I gain nothing by telling you false information. I only pass along info in hopes that others may be able to gain from my experience and nothing more. If I had a bad experience with a product I would be passing it along to anybody who would listen to me and hope for them not to have to go thru the same as me. OTT is full of people who have a wide range of experience levels in about every situation out there and in the most part we all want to help our brothers in Orange to make our lives easier and keep money in our pockets. I understand that information about a Dodge truck has nothing to do with a Kubota tractor. It's just much more difficult to track exact gain or loss on a tractor. The trucks are easy to track and pass the info along and is fairly accurate as well.

I can give you tons of stories about farm equipment that I own and how Amsoil improved it in different ways but it's much harder to give accurate or definate information. I'll give you a tractor example but it will only be useful in close conditions. Last year I cut, raked and baled hay for a friend. Using my M 9000 DTC 4wd and my L 3000 DT 4wd, GDM 700 Kuhn mower, Vermeer 504 Super I baler and a 10' roll a bar rake. I cut, raked and baled about 70 acres and my average fuel consumption ended up being 1.07 GPH between the 2 tractors. I don't have a clue what it would be using petrolium oil but I would love to know what others get while doing the same type work with their Kubotas.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Bulldog Wrote: I would love to know what others get while doing the same type work with their Kubotas.

I'd say about 1.07 GPH.:)

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
About 1.07 GPH.... Haaaa! I love it!
This thread is starting to get a little like talking politics & religion at the in-laws house at Thanksgiving dinner. Little sorry I started it.
BTW, did you happen to notice there's a Poyal Purple add at the end of the thread page. That HAS to be some kind of poetic justice.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Third time I have said something about 1.07 GPH on my fuel consumption and had several people with a comment without much meaning. Is that good, bad or do you think I'm just full of s/;t. As many Kubota owners that read this site I would tend to think that I'm not the only one who has ever checked how much fuel is being burned in a hr doing certain jobs. I'm just a country boy and never went to college but I can take the hrs that I ran and the fuel I burned and figure out a hourly consumption rate. If you think I'm full of it and don't want to post it then send a PM. I can take it.

Poetic justice, don't know much about poetry. The company I worked for did some experimenting with Royal Purple back in 01 -02. It didn't do what they said it would so they dropped it. I never personally used any so I have nothing good or bad to say about it.

I see that there's a firestone oil coupon listed to. Maybe they have some of that poetry you were talking about, who knows.