Will your Kubota work on the space station?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was listening to Car Talk and someone called in to say he'd been wondering if his wife's Miata would work in space. Said he'd been trying to take his mind off things prior to a ride on the Vomit Comet. The guys said they could think of two things that relied on gravity, the gas might not be near the intake tube, and the oil wouldn't flow back down into the sump. I started to wonder about our tractors, and since I'd just been thinking about the water separator, decided that the water collected on that funnel shaped thing must need gravity to stay in the bottom of the bowl. There must be a bunch of stuff, we just take gravity for granted.

So what else wouldn't work and how are we going to fix it, since going into outer space without our 'botas is unthinkable :D (never mind that we won't need them until we get to Mars where there is gravity)??

(I am trying to take my mind off the fact that my work laptop got a virus and will have to be formatted, some but not all files backed up :mad:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was listening to Car Talk and someone called in to say he'd been wondering if his wife's Miata would work in space. Said he'd been trying to take his mind off things prior to a ride on the Vomit Comet. The guys said they could think of two things that relied on gravity, the gas might not be near the intake tube, and the oil wouldn't flow back down into the sump. I started to wonder about our tractors, and since I'd just been thinking about the water separator, decided that the water collected on that funnel shaped thing must need gravity to stay in the bottom of the bowl. There must be a bunch of stuff, we just take gravity for granted.

So what else wouldn't work and how are we going to fix it, since going into outer space without our 'botas is unthinkable :D (never mind that we won't need them until we get to Mars where there is gravity)??

(I am trying to take my mind off the fact that my work laptop got a virus and will have to be formatted, some but not all files backed up :mad:)
Despite all of gravity's problems - nothing would work in space.....aint nuttin there.....no air, no particles to push off of, little if any gravity depending where you are.....and if you could make it run, the exhaust gases would be what pushed you !!!:D:D:)

I second the too much time on your hands !:)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There's air on the space station...but you sure don't need the FEL for anything..:D

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I don't know, you might need that FEL to shovel all the s..t pilling up here.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer:

Take 2 aspirins and go to bed. You'll feel better tomorrow. :D
Ok on my way, :) but I lost all my tractor pictures ..:(
What I'd like to have happen to the criminals that launched that virus is unprintable. Something along the lines of camels and fleas. Now there is someone that has too much time on their hands.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Over simplified:

Fill all fluid cavities that contain fluid and attach an expansion tank so when the fluid gets hot it can expand.
Change fuel tank to a pressurized tank with an expansible bladder inside - think well expatiation tank.
Remove everything from the head out on the intake side and replace with an oxygen injection system. Do some gazintas and meter the oxygen to the fuel injection.
Replace tires with ones that have suction cups on them - R-5 :D
Attach hose to exhaust and vent into space. P.S. that would be two hoses - one for the tractor, one for the operator.:rolleyes::p:D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Olthumpa, I like the R5 tires! They will work nicely for inside the station, and I wonder if we had an available R6 with magnets embedded in the knobs of a turf style tire, we could expand activity to the outside of the station? Or maybe a fancier electromagnetic version?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
You missed your calling as a mad scientist !:eek: :eek:
R6 are you serious:confused: :p :cool: :D
Not entirely, but it is hard to make a living as a mad scientist these days :(:(

Actually Hokie's comment about the exhaust moving the tractor forward suggests with an adjustable, controllable exhaust stack we could have a jet propelled bota...

However after all this foolishness it becomes clear why the Mars rovers are solar powered battery driven...

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Yeah! If you think diesel is expensive where you live, try pulling into a diesel station on Mars! :eek: :p ;) :D