WiFI extending question

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
go hardwire
At 500 to 600 ft, it's too far for a single run of Ethernet, you would need to put in a repeater mid span.
Ethernet spec is for 100m (330ft), you can usually exceed that but I doubt you can double it.
There are "extenders" what can go father but they are not "Ethernet" and you need a converter box @ each end.
Or you can go fiber, multimode will handle 100Mb to 2km, singlemode way faster/further

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Buy a Kubota Excavator and dig a trench and hardwire it. If that doesn’t work, buy a Kubota Skid-Steer and fill the trench in. 😜

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
while the spec is 100m(330'+-), you can get 450' depending on who designed the interface circuitry.
since there's already 120 in the trench, a pair of PLM ( Power Line Modems) would be the most secure option.
if you go wireless,be sure to change ALL the passwords( 2 or 3 ) on every device. Kinda interesting looking though others doorbell cameras, baby monitors, etc.....

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Line of sight? Yes if thats what that means.
Yep sorry, line of site. I use (as others mentioned) the Ubiquiti products and they have LOS products you can install yourself. jchonline has given you great info and I would likely do the same if I was you. My neighbor currently uses the same setup for his shop/house. There are other options like running POE power over Ethernet and also range extenders. I have the range extenders on our property and I am usually just frustrated with them. LOS works great if you have that option. Just have to point the 2 devices at each other.

Apparently (so the story goes) there’s a banker on the East Coast that owns a home on an island. The island has no internet but He has LOS from his office. This is how he gets his internet 😉.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I haven't heard of that requirement before. Mine are on different circuits, same panel. No issues.

YMMV

It depends on the device. I bought a few off of Amazon awhile back and neither of them worked on a different circuit.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
t depends on the device. I bought a few off of Amazon awhile back and neither of them worked on a different circuit.
You seem very knowledgable. Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the extender in #25 will work with the EERO system.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
That looks promising. Do you know if this would work with the EERO setup? Would you just use the ethernet port on the EERO and connect it that way?
The only way a repeater works if if you have it in an area where you have a very strong wifi signal, and can repeat that strong signal out.

What you dont want is to add a repeater at the edge of your current wifi coverage area...because then you are just repeating that poorer coverage.

If you are plugging something up to the ethernet port on the EERO just add another access point. A repeater like the above is useless.

Antennas really dont make a ton of difference. Wifi signal can only go so far and degrades significantly with distance.

Here is an example of what I have setup. It is 145m (475 feet) from the top right building to the AC Mesh Pro spot. You can see the circle around the AC Mesh Pro (which is a very powerful access point)...it gets nowhere near adequately covering the distance. This is why you need PtP for these long runs. If you want to do it right this is the way.

map.jpg

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Here is an example of what I have setup. It is 145m (475 feet) from the top right building to the AC Mesh Pro spot. You can see the circle around the AC Mesh Pro (which is a very powerful access point)...it gets nowhere near adequately covering the distance. This is why you need PtP for these long runs. If you want to do it right this is the way.
Thank you very much. So with the PtP I would need another EERO at the end of the point (at the gate) to turn that back to a useable WiFI signal? Sorry, I'm not too bright.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thank you very much. So with the PtP I would need another EERO at the end of the point (at the gate) to turn that back to a useable WiFI signal? Sorry, I'm not too bright.
Correct. YOu would plug that EERO into the LAN port on your PtP antenna That EERO would communicate back to your EERO router or parent mesh device.

A PtP antenna if you have good Line of Sight: https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-devices/products/nanobeam-5ac-gen2

Remember you will need to run an ethernet cable from your EERO router to this PtP antenna.

So EERO router at house <--> PtP antenna A at house <--> PtP antenna B at gate <--> EERO access point at gate.

You can beam these PtP antennas through a window if that helps...but it degrades the signal considerably. For the distance you have it should still be fine. The best is to mount it externally...but I dont do that.

Here is one from my office in the house to my shop. Notice I trimmed branches on trees to give clear line of sight. One on shop is mounted externally. Red arrow.

1679420353778.png

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Here is one from my office in the house to my shop. Notice I trimmed branches on trees to give clear line of sight. One on shop is mounted externally. Red arrow.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The only way a repeater works if if you have it in an area where you have a very strong wifi signal, and can repeat that strong signal out.

What you dont want is to add a repeater at the edge of your current wifi coverage area...because then you are just repeating that poorer coverage.

Bingo. A lot of people think they can take a weak signal and amplify it and life will be good.

At that point you are just amplifying noise.

Reactions: 1 user