Widening a too narrow 3 point implement

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
I've got a mini round baler, about 1200 pounds. It's bottom links are too close together to use my QH15. So I want to figure out how to make the bottom links wider. I was thinking getting longer pins, but that might put a lot of torque on the pins? Then I was thinking of getting a good welder to cut the bottom links off the baler and weld them back on to be wider.

Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
Can you put longer pins and double shear the end of the pins and still connect from below
I think I understand your question. As an experiment, I bought a few 3/4" x 8" bolts with nuts. Not high quality steel. I was able to use the quick hitch to attach, but the bolts bent pretty quickly. So yes, I can attach to longer pins, if they'd be strong enough.

Reactions: 1 user

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
I think I understand your question. As an experiment, I bought a few 3/4" x 8" bolts with nuts. Not high quality steel. I was able to use the quick hitch to attach, but the bolts bent pretty quickly. So yes, I can attach to longer pins, if they'd be strong enough.
I am suggesting that you weld or bolt a piece of metal from the end of the bolt to the vertacal piece that the bolt is going through to make a triangle.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
I am suggesting that you weld or bolt a piece of metal from the end of the bolt to the vertacal piece that the bolt is going through to make a triangle.
Ah, interesting! So the pin would be supported from both ends! Any idea how to find a 3/4" x 8" piece of high quality steel? None of my local tractor dealers have pins that long..

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Pictures of the implement would give room for different ideas...

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you have a way to cut and weld steel it sounds like a simple job.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
No idea if it's made like this, but in general this seems to be the set up on a lot of them. The links just mount to 2 plates that stick out. I would wonder of you could take them off and flip them around, as most of them claim to be cat 1 and 2 compatable. Looks like it would widen them a few inches. If not, I'd be cutting the plate off and revamping them. Without the bend in them.
Screenshot_20220810-161348_Samsung Internet.jpg

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I've got a mini round baler, about 1200 pounds. It's bottom links are too close together to use my QH15. So I want to figure out how to make the bottom links wider. I was thinking getting longer pins, but that might put a lot of torque on the pins? Then I was thinking of getting a good welder to cut the bottom links off the baler and weld them back on to be wider.

Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks.
so for the few times a year you will use the baler, why not just skip the Q, H, and connect directly to the tractor ?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure the gap you need to close or how your implement is made but seems like maybe you could weld a bushing to existing tab and add a longer pin or if you could swap the tabs so they are inverse to current layout maybe that solves it…if they are bolted in that would be simple…or they could be cut and welded on opposite sides with the pins facing opposite direction as inverse…anyway I think the gap has some suggestion to which option you might consider. Just really depends on the gap and layout comparison to your QH.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My bush hog is cat 3 so my QH want work with it, so for the 3 or 4 times a year I use it I remove the QH.

Maybe you can do likewise?

Good luck

jay

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Really need to post the make/model of the baler and the 'QH' .It's not clear WHY a CAt1 implement doesn't fit a CAT1 QH. I've heard that some(most ??) QH units are really CAT3 and YOU have to supply adapters to connect your CAT 1 implements to them.
Maybe post a picture or two of your problem ?

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
How far off on the width are you?
On each side, the inside of the QH is 2 3/4" from the baler. I ordered some Grade 8, 8" x 3/4" bolts from Grainger. I'm thinking that if I shim the bushing really tightly on the bolt and then add enough nuts so that the bushing and nuts and washers are all tight from left to right, that will add some strength.

I am concerned that that 2 3/4" will add a lot of torque. The steel on the baler is really strong though, 3/4".

pin.jpg

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
so for the few times a year you will use the baler, why not just skip the Q, H, and connect directly to the tractor ?
It's a fine question. I have to hay several different fields and so I have to bounce back and forth between my tedder-rake and the baler. I told my wife that the best solution would be to get a 2nd tractor ;)

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
I am not sure the gap you need to close or how your implement is made but seems like maybe you could weld a bushing to existing tab and add a longer pin or if you could swap the tabs so they are inverse to current layout maybe that solves it…if they are bolted in that would be simple…or they could be cut and welded on opposite sides with the pins facing opposite direction as inverse…anyway I think the gap has some suggestion to which option you might consider. Just really depends on the gap and layout comparison to your QH.
Does my answer on post #18 answer any of your questions? I've done just a tiny amount of welding - no way am I experienced enough to want to trust my baler to my welding :) I'm looking for a welder who will come to me, but so far, no luck.

As for swapping the "tabs" on the baler, I looked into that. It looks like a real "can of worms" project because the other ends of the bolts are behind all sorts of gears and rods and brackets and such.