Why won’t my BX2380 mower deck lock in top position?

Bruh44

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 29, 2023
North Carolina
For some reason I can’t get my mower deck to lock in the top position. I just did all the maintenance on the whole tractor. Put the deck back on. Mowed with no issues. It just won’t lock up. Any ideas?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Comes up quite often with BX.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Are you wanting it to stay in the top position after you've turned the tractor off? If so, from what I understand, since the deck is heavy, and the hydraulic fluid is free to move through the system, gravity will simply drop the mower deck once it has had time to settle. I have the same thing happen with the rear mounted snow blower, and the FEL, gravity will simply drop these implements given the decreased hydraulic pressure.

Bruh44

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 29, 2023
North Carolina
I’m saying I physically can not turn the dial to the “top” setting. 1-4 is fine. I can’t got from 4 to top or from 1 to top. The dial won’t go. The deck is fully lifted when I’m trying to do this.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m saying I physically can not turn the dial to the “top” setting. 1-4 is fine. I can’t got from 4 to top or from 1 to top. The dial won’t go. The deck is fully lifted when I’m trying to do this.
If you follow the thread I linked above and look at your manual, you should be good.

Although this is an older BX2360, you likely have the same or similar adjuster just inside your left rear wheel.

I had the same issue 10 years ago.

IMG_5860.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Check your owners manual, I believe there is an adjustment screw that will allow it to reach the Top position. I just can’t recall exactly where it’s locate. Sorry . Maybe Wolfman will drop in and help. Looks like Rcw has it !!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Note there’s also a second “lock” nut there. Tighten that down when done to lock your setting.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Mine 2370-1 doesn't lock in the up either. The strange part is that without the deck on it will lock the arms in the hold position. With the deck on it doesn't because when lifted the deck can't lift any higher because the lift stops on the deck contact the bottom of the frame. I've lived with it all these year. Only thing I could try is to maybe set the leveling screws different this way the arms might go high enough to beable to turn the adjusting screw into the lock. Like I mentioned my lift stops on the deck stop the deck from going any higher.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
If you follow the thread I linked above and look at your manual, you should be good.

Although this is an older BX2360, you likely have the same or similar adjuster just inside your left rear wheel.

I had the same issue 10 years ago.

View attachment 102825
Yes sir! Thats the fix!

redtnsv

Equipment
BX2380
May 11, 2021
MI
Hate to bump and old thread but I'm having this issue on my bx2380 as well. I've had it to the dealer and they said I just need to wiggle the turn knob more... I was able to get it to lock exactly once but then when riding around the deck fell. I've completely removed the screw shown from this thread and the mower still won't go up high enough to lock. Any ideas? I think it's something to do with something being bent on the arms which isn't allowing them to rise as high.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Hate to bump and old thread but I'm having this issue on my bx2380 as well. I've had it to the dealer and they said I just need to wiggle the turn knob more... I was able to get it to lock exactly once but then when riding around the deck fell. I've completely removed the screw shown from this thread and the mower still won't go up high enough to lock. Any ideas? I think it's something to do with something being bent on the arms which isn't allowing them to rise as high.
If I am not mistaken, the adjusting bolt should be tightened, not removed, to allow the mower deck to raise enough to lock in the top position. That is the way mine worked. My tractor is a BX1860 but I think that it is the same for all BX models. I may be wrong but what have you got to lose by trying to tighten the bolt instead of removing it. BTW, tighten the bolt with the mower deck lowered all the way to relieve tension on the bolt as you tighten it up.

redtnsv

Equipment
BX2380
May 11, 2021
MI
If I am not mistaken, the adjusting bolt should be tightened, not removed, to allow the mower deck to raise enough to lock in the top position. That is the way mine worked. My tractor is a BX1860 but I think that it is the same for all BX models. I may be wrong but what have you got to lose by trying to tighten the bolt instead of removing it. BTW, tighten the bolt with the mower deck lowered all the way to relieve tension on the bolt as you tighten it up.
So I ended up needing a longer bolt! Thank you for your reply. And yes, tightening was correct not loosening

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Looking back on 14 years of BX ownership, my little BX never raised to the top setting either, but I never gave it a second thought. The deck always came off the machine for anything where ground clearance might be an issue and that extra 1/2 inch wasn't needed for any mowing I had to do. Also simply removing the deck meant it didn't get bashed around or get in the way for other work. Just another way of looking at things I guess.