Why I hate wire fences…

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
While cruising the property this last week I came across this scene….

It was a miserable way to die for her…. I’m very saddened by it.

When I can afford it…. I plan to remove all the wire fences on this property and replace with slatted or wood or …anything but wire.

IMG_20240228_131152563.jpeg

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Sad. The fur on the ground and bare dirt tells the struggle. 😕

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Dayum - that hurt my feeling too!

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
'It Happens', though thankfully a fairly rare event.

I've seen the same thing on my property exactly once in 38 years.....so I'll be leaving my wire fencing in place.

Not an envious way to die.....but most deaths of wildlife (left to nature) are pretty gruesome if you think about it.

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com

When I can afford it…. I plan to remove all the wire fences on this property and replace with slatted or wood or …anything but wire.

View attachment 123679
It happens, especially who ever built that crap fence., its not built to recommend standards for livestock. Those same standards of fencing also take into count of whitetail deer, other game that are fence jumpers.

If the top slick wire is removed it will greatly decrease any animal intaglement.

It really pisses me off when I see land owners put up a new fence and not take down the existing fence.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well, he's going to have to win the lottery to replace with wood. Not only the cost of board, but post and then maintenance. That is why wire is there now!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sad but death is part of life.

around here coyotes would have had their fill...

I suspect the 6 horizontal wires were up first,maybe to keep BIG animals penned, then welded wire went up to keep neighbours dogs or others out.

need fence to be 8' tall to keep deer out,cross street they leap over the 6' high fence to get to the apple orchard.One usually makes it into the freezer every year though....

yeah 'wooden fence' costing ... wonder how many feet the fence is ? Apparently wood doesn't grow on trees anymore !

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
That welded wire fence was put up about 30 years ago for horses in that pond/pasture…. About 5 years ago cattle was put in there and the barbed wire was added. This particular 25 acre pasture is not mine…it is just-East of me adjoining…and I hope/plan to acquire it in a trade later this year and will get rid of that fence completely.

The rest of the 1500-acres around me has been subdivided by the former owner’s descendants… 600 of it North of me going to a developer who didn’t realize I’ve got him land-locked with my aircraft runway easements. In order to complete his development (a high-dollar rustic “health-resort”) he’s going to have to deal with me on that land trade.
The other 800+ acres to my West is “watershed/Heritage” and must remain primitive/undeveloped.
All that land is 50+ year old 5-strand barbed wire. It will likely never change in the foreseeable future and beyond that the land is game-proofed ranchland.
In the 30+ years I’ve lived here I’ve witnessed several deer who’ve been caught in the fences. I’ve cut a few loose before they died….most do not survive. One did…and lost a lower leg from the injury….. she hung around my back-porch for a few years and munched on food we toss off the porch for the wildlife. (we either compost or donate left-overs to wildlife)

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com

View attachment 123679
That welded wire fence was put up about 30 years ago for horses in that pond/pasture…. About 5 years ago cattle was put in there and the barbed wire was added. This particular 25 acre pasture is not mine…it is just-East of me adjoining…and I hope/plan to acquire it in a trade later this year and will get rid of that fence completely.

The rest of the 1500-acres around me has been subdivided by the former owner’s descendants… 600 of it North of me going to a developer who didn’t realize I’ve got him land-locked with my aircraft runway easements. In order to complete his development (a high-dollar rustic “health-resort”) he’s going to have to deal with me on that land trade.
The other 800+ acres to my West is “watershed/Heritage” and must remain primitive/undeveloped.
All that land is 50+ year old 5-strand barbed wire. It will likely never change in the foreseeable future and beyond that the land is game-proofed ranchland.
In the 30+ years I’ve lived here I’ve witnessed several deer who’ve been caught in the fences. I’ve cut a few loose before they died….most do not survive. One did…and lost a lower leg from the injury….. she hung around my back-porch for a few years and munched on food we toss off the porch for the wildlife. (we either compost or donate left-overs to wildlife)
Screenshot_20240305_114115_Gallery~2.jpg

So the welded wire/panel was removed then reattached??

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
View attachment 123694

So the welded wire/panel was removed then reattached??
I didn’t watch them do the work….the land owner hired two guys who were not fence-bldrs by profession…they were just laborers…and their technique was not something I observed…. but I’ve lived here 30+ years and I know what was there before the barbed wire.

That welded wire fence was one 15 ac pasture…an adjoining 10 acres rec’d a new barbed wire fence…and the guys simply cont’d with the barbed wire onto the old fence as-well. (You’re not seeing the adjoining pasture which has only a new barbed wire fence.)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

View attachment 123679
That sure is sad to see. I've never witnessed it but I know some people who have come across two bucks with antlers locked together in death. When I worked at Remington, my boss who developed the Black Talon at Winchester and then the Golden Sabre at Remington, found three bucks locked together and drowned in a river bottom. Nature is cruel, but nothing compares to the carnage that humans do and cause.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just run 1 top rail in wood. They will clear it.
That said, while a death like that doesn't make me happy, there are more deer in my area now than at any other time since American Insian tribes red the land. It's not like a Bald Eagle or Panda.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't like the animal caught in a fence for a death, but I don't like the huge number the state allows just to attract hunters, and some get similar results with automobiles.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Feral Hogs will sometimes 'hang themselves' when they try to climb out of traps made from welded wire panels.

Hog Hung.jpg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I surely do hate the hogs…but wouldn’t wish that on them.

Evil…. I wonder where those Native American animal-census records are stored…. I’d like to read them… :LOL:
(just kidding…. but I do wonder where/how some of those matters are derived)

When I flew for the State of Tx one of the special missions I frequently did was animal-census flights for Parks and Wildlife Dept.…many hours at low-level in a C-206 over the west Texas / Chihuahuan desert.… Had a few bumps on the noggin hitting the headliner from low-level turbulence. (I was one of the few pilots who’d volunteer for those and other single-engine missions …since I personally owned a C-206 I wasn’t as intimidated, I suppose. Long, overwater flights was another which was avoided by some of the guys… I didn’t blame them….I just was more acclimated to that sort of stuff.)

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I surely do hate the hogs…but wouldn’t wish that on them.

Evil…. I wonder where those Native American animal-census records are stored…. I’d like to read them… :LOL:
(just kidding…. but I do wonder where/how some of those matters are derived)

When I flew for the State of Tx one of the special missions I frequently did was animal-census flights for Parks and Wildlife Dept.…many hours at low-level in a C-206 over the west Texas / Chihuahuan desert.… Had a few bumps on the noggin hitting the headliner from low-level turbulence. (I was one of the few pilots who’d volunteer for those and other single-engine missions …since I personally owned a C-206 I wasn’t as intimidated, I suppose. Long, overwater flights was another which was avoided by some of the guys… I didn’t blame them….I just was more acclimated to that sort of stuff.)
Well... think about it. How many deer get hit by cars today as opposed to 1490? 😆
Fun fact- White Tail deer were nearly driven to extinction in the early 1900s.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well... think about it. How many deer get hit by cars today as opposed to 1490? 😆
Fun fact- White Tail deer were nearly driven to extinction in the early 1900s.
Exactly! If Powhatan had no car… he should have had more deer! 🤪

(but I’ll bet his mate didn’t plant roses outside the wigwam for them to eat! 🤐

hanks

Equipment
Wheelbarrow
Mar 6, 2024
Southern Ok.
A trivia or fun fact question regarding whitetail population in Texas (also true for most if not all Southern states). Only YOU will ever know whether or not the answer came from Mr Google Eyes 🤓
What is the main reason Whitetails recovered from near extinct in early 20th century to present day robust population? Hint , in a roundabout way it's related to this thread in more ways than one.