Why don't tractors have suspensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makasoul

Equipment
Rtv x 1100c, bx 23s
Sep 15, 2018
Usa
I never understood this, why do people like tractors with no suspensions? It is not because they couldn't design it with one. I mean the Bx 23 i have is 2018, and it rides horrid. I have to go ultra slow everywhere, because the thing bounces all over the place. Is there like something to it? Maybe cause no one cares but me I suppose? I just don't get why people actually don't complain about it, they literally ride the same as tractors from 1950 ahah.

Vrs say a new rtv, I can go though the fields at 20-30, and its fine. If i go over 3 mph even on my lawn it feels like im gonna die, mind you I have a crazy lawn, it has runts all over it. So that is prolly why, most people have flat lawns, and don't care, and the bigger farms just plow all their land. Even with all that though, it is still nicer to have a suspension in every situation, it keeps the tires on the ground. There is no benefit to not having a suspension I can see? Maybe if its purpose was for tilling or something, but there still should be a tractor with a suspension haha it would just be much better for everything, but say tilling, and plowing.

The Bx are so bad, that one time i tried to mow at full speed and got motion sick. Though i didnt have a brush hog that hooks to the 3 point, it was a pull behind one. So the front loader though me around alot more. Though now that I have a rtv, I cant see wanting to use the bx for mowing, over the rtv. I could do 10-15 with the rtv and not even feel the bumps, vrs 3-5 mph with the bx, and prolly end up puking lol. Damnit I wish they just made a tractor with suspension haha.

Last edited:

Makasoul

Equipment
Rtv x 1100c, bx 23s
Sep 15, 2018
Usa
Makasoul, try reducing the air pressure in your tires, (or get a better seat).:D
Thanks, I didnt think about that. They are at 22. I dont think there is a better seat is there? The bx 23s has that special seat that flips around.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
There are several operations where having springs on a tractor would make it totally unsafe or at least not effective. A couple of things that come to mind is trying to get a level driveway with a grader or box blade. Plowing a field would be nearly impossible with springs because every bump you hit would probably pull the plow out of the ground or dig in so far that you could break something. Another thing that comes to mind is when I was using an auger to dig fence posts. If the tractor had a suspension I doubt that I could have successfully dug a straight post hole. I am sure that there are many more reasons but I just don't have the time to think of them much less type them. Anyway, I am sure that after more than 125 years of tractors being marketed that if a suspension on a tractor would have been beneficial than at least one manufacturer would have done it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And at the very least find a set of valve springs off an old panhead harley yeah they work really good

Makasoul

Equipment
Rtv x 1100c, bx 23s
Sep 15, 2018
Usa
There are several operations where having springs on a tractor would make it totally unsafe or at least not effective. A couple of things that come to mind is trying to get a level driveway with a grader or box blade. Plowing a field would be nearly impossible with springs because every bump you hit would probably pull the plow out of the ground or dig in so far that you could break something. Another thing that comes to mind is when I was using an auger to dig fence posts. If the tractor had a suspension I doubt that I could have successfully dug a straight post hole. I am sure that there are many more reasons but I just don't have the time to think of them much less type them. Anyway, I am sure that after more than 125 years of tractors being marketed that if a suspension on a tractor would have been beneficial than at least one manufacturer would have done it.
I see thank u very much, u are right about the back blade. Well i guess they did build a tractor with shocks, the rtv. Just wish it had a pto on the back.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I see thank u very much, u are right about the back blade. Well i guess they did build a tractor with shocks, the rtv. Just wish it had a pto on the back.
If it did have a PTO on back I might find an excuse to buy one.;)

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Uni-Mog might be for you.

Suspension is all about sprung to un-sprung weight.

Take a look at some chassis mounted camera video on Formula cars. Not much suspension there either.

Tires! It's all in the tires.

Unless you are going rock crawling. ;-)

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
The ride on my BX23S is smooth and supple, much better than my lawn tractor.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
question ==> "Why dont tractors have suspensions?"

Answer ==> A tractor is intended to PULL THINGS. A suspension engineered to transfer all that pulling power to the frame would be expensive and DRASTICALLY reduce the pulling capacity of a tractor. Hence, the wheels are solidly connected to the frame so the pulling-power is transferred as efficiently as possible to the frame.

The only logical place to put a suspension is underneath the seat so the operator has a smooth ride. Many of the expensive tractors have a better ride than a Cadillac. Both the seat and the enclosed console ride on air-suspension.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
The front end loader on a tractor can lift thousands of pounds. Can you imagine how stiff they'd have to make a suspension that wouldn't completely bottom out or cause the tractor to roll? It would be so stiff, you may as well not have a suspension, which is what they've done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bruce, as I read your explanation I visualize one of those 1000HP tractors at a tractor pull having leaf springs on the axles!:D:D:D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Belarus has suspension on the front end of some of their tractors. It doesn't work well, and without suspension on the rear end, it has very minimal effect. A tractor isn't designed for comfort, but for work.

Makasoul

Equipment
Rtv x 1100c, bx 23s
Sep 15, 2018
Usa
question ==> "Why dont tractors have suspensions?"

Answer ==> A tractor is intended to PULL THINGS. A suspension engineered to transfer all that pulling power to the frame would be expensive and DRASTICALLY reduce the pulling capacity of a tractor. Hence, the wheels are solidly connected to the frame so the pulling-power is transferred as efficiently as possible to the frame.

The only logical place to put a suspension is underneath the seat so the operator has a smooth ride. Many of the expensive tractors have a better ride than a Cadillac. Both the seat and the enclosed console ride on air-suspension.
I definitely dont agree with pulling as the reason, the rtv could out pull the bx easily, especially on rough terrain, or up hills. Ill test your theory, the bx 23s with the front loader and weighted tires has roughly the same weight as a rtv, ill see which pulls better. My money is on the rtv even tho my rtv has crappy atv tires.

I will get a big log, attach it to the tow part on the bx 23, where you can put a ball, under where the back hoe hooks up, and to the ball hitch on the rtv, and pull it around till one of them gets stuck.

Last edited:

Makasoul

Equipment
Rtv x 1100c, bx 23s
Sep 15, 2018
Usa
The front end loader on a tractor can lift thousands of pounds. Can you imagine how stiff they'd have to make a suspension that wouldn't completely bottom out or cause the tractor to roll? It would be so stiff, you may as well not have a suspension, which is what they've done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
There are adjustable shocks tho, when mowing and pulling. Also i dont think it would roll, even if it had shocks. It doesnt roll now and that front axle isnt attached and goes up and down to a point.

Makasoul

Equipment
Rtv x 1100c, bx 23s
Sep 15, 2018
Usa
Belarus has suspension on the front end of some of their tractors. It doesn't work well, and without suspension on the rear end, it has very minimal effect. A tractor isn't designed for comfort, but for work.
Its not about comfort really at all. A bc is physically in capable of going over 3 mph though my field, my rtv can do up to 30. So whos gonna get more mowing done? Not to metion with no suspension it gets stuck all the time due to the tires bouncing.

Makasoul

Equipment
Rtv x 1100c, bx 23s
Sep 15, 2018
Usa
The ride on my BX23S is smooth and supple, much better than my lawn tractor.
We must have a different definition of smooth. The thing is so bouncy i am sure if it was capable of doing 20 it would flip in my lawn. I mean it is better than a lawn mower, but not by much. If you put the same weight on a lawn mower as the bx has it would be the same. Minus most lawn mowers dont have lockimg difs or four wheel so they just get stuck. My lawn tho is impassable to a lawn mower ive tried haha.

I am not saying it is useless i just wish it had a better suspension.

Btek

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 23, 2017
Russell Ky
If I’m reading this right, you are mowing with the FEL on and the backhoe off? If so, the extra weight from the FEL will cause you to bounce around a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Makasoul, go back and read the 17 post you have made to date. See if you can find a couple that have something positive to say. You need some joy juice!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I never understood this, why do people like tractors with no suspensions? It is not because they couldn't design it with one. I mean the Bx 23 i have is 2018, and it rides horrid. I have to go ultra slow everywhere, because the thing bounces all over the place. Is there like something to it? Maybe cause no one cares but me I suppose? I just don't get why people actually don't complain about it, they literally ride the same as tractors from 1950 ahah.

Vrs say a new rtv, I can go though the fields at 20-30, and its fine. If i go over 3 mph even on my lawn it feels like im gonna die, mind you I have a crazy lawn, it has runts all over it. So that is prolly why, most people have flat lawns, and don't care, and the bigger farms just plow all their land. Even with all that though, it is still nicer to have a suspension in every situation, it keeps the tires on the ground. There is no benefit to not having a suspension I can see? Maybe if its purpose was for tilling or something, but there still should be a tractor with a suspension haha it would just be much better for everything, but say tilling, and plowing.

The Bx are so bad, that one time i tried to mow at full speed and got motion sick. Though i didnt have a brush hog that hooks to the 3 point, it was a pull behind one. So the front loader though me around alot more. Though now that I have a rtv, I cant see wanting to use the bx for mowing, over the rtv. I could do 10-15 with the rtv and not even feel the bumps, vrs 3-5 mph with the bx, and prolly end up puking lol. Damnit I wish they just made a tractor with suspension haha.
Some large, late model AG tractors do have suspension systems on the front axle.

SDT

Status
Not open for further replies.