Why do they make the F.E.L handle so long?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Thats wild, I haven't seen a dude driving a jeep in years. Up here they are chick mobiles - LOL.

I have owned 2 Jeeps in my life. One I purchased and learned early to never do that again. The second one was given to me and honestly if I just handed the guy giving it to me $1000.00 and went my happy way I would have been much better off.

I have a neighbor a few doors down that has a few of them (one usually running out of the group). I asked him how he could stand it? He said he just loves working on stuff so he sticks with Jeep. AMC did not do that brand any favors.

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 47704

Thats wild, I haven't seen a dude driving a jeep in years. Up here they are chick mobiles - LOL.

I have owned 2 Jeeps in my life. One I purchased and learned early to never do that again. The second one was given to me and honestly if I just handed the guy giving it to me $1000.00 and went my happy way I would have been much better off.

I have a neighbor a few doors down that has a few of them (one usually running out of the group). I asked him how he could stand it? He said he just loves working on stuff so he sticks with Jeep. AMC did not do that brand any favors.
Men drive CJs
Girls drive wranglers.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
I don't agree that CJ5s roll over easily. But, I'm also not quite understanding why CJs are in a tractor thread about FEL controls. ;)
Well you could also say what are FELs doing in a Jeep thread.:ROFLMAO:
I knew I would get heat posting on a Kubota site sorry about that. But most 60s cars and trucks were dangerous compared to newer cars I know I work on them from the sixties to date for GM. As Master Mechanic and ASE Master.

D

Deleted member 47704

I knew I would get heat posting on a Kubota site sorry about that. But most 60s cars and trucks were dangerous compared to newer cars I know I work on them from the sixties to date for GM. As Master Mechanic and ASE Master.
Don't worry about it, its just a forum.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
But most 60s cars and trucks were dangerous compared to newer cars I know I work on them from the sixties to date for GM. As Master Mechanic and ASE Master.
Just fyi, they made CJs way past 60s ... all of the way to 83. I'm not a Mechanic, but this has little to do with being one. Also, there are plenty of large 60s vehicles that would destroy one one of the smaller newer cars. Age isn't the main factor size of vehicle matters as well. Most of us have seen the Class C vs Smart Car videos where the Class C destroys the Smart Car.

When i was a 5 year old, the family station wagon went down our hill with me in the back seat and was stopped by a tree. No seat belt in a early 60s Ford station wagon, but I was completely fine.

But, at the end of the day, if you don't wreck, crash protection doesn't even matter.

D

Deleted member 47704

Won't be long before we have airbags on our FELs with long sticks being replaced by a small joystick.Of course back up cameras...

D

Deleted member 47704

Just fyi, they made CJs way past 60s ... all of the way to 83. I'm not a Mechanic, but this has little to do with being one. Also, there are plenty of large 60s vehicles that would destroy one one of the smaller newer cars. Age isn't the main factor size of vehicle matters as well. Most of us have seen the Class C vs Smart Car videos where the Class C destroys the Smart Car.

When i was a 5 year old, the family station wagon went down our hill with me in the back seat and was stopped by a tree. No seat belt in a early 60s Ford station wagon, but I was completely fine.

But, at the end of the day, if you don't wreck, crash protection doesn't even matter.
A dog would destroy a smart. we have one at work, I've driven it. Its the worst car in the snow you have ever seen. The gas mileage for its size is poor.A Focus get better gas mileage has more room and power.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
had 73,74, 75, 76 CJ-5s .Nevere ever had one roll over and I USED them on and OFF road, waay offroad.
A lot of people believed the 'JEEPS roll over in the J-turn 60 minutes report decades ago....THAT was totally made up( a LIE) ,never watched 60mins after that.
Being a 68, I assume the Buick V6 ?
It's NICE to see a variety of interests, and to those that don't like the 'not on track' replies, I politely suggest you just quit reading the posts when they happen. That being said , anyone own an FC-150 ? I'll trade my BX23S for it, no problem !

D

Deleted member 47704

had 73,74, 75, 76 CJ-5s .Nevere ever had one roll over and I USED them on and OFF road, waay offroad.
A lot of people believed the 'JEEPS roll over in the J-turn 60 minutes report decades ago....THAT was totally made up( a LIE) ,never watched 60mins after that.
Being a 68, I assume the Buick V6 ?
It's NICE to see a variety of interests, and to those that don't like the 'not on track' replies, I politely suggest you just quit reading the posts when they happen. That being said , anyone own an FC-150 ? I'll trade my BX23S for it, no problem !
A guy down the road from me has 3 of them, won't part with any. My grandfather had one and also had a Corvair Rampside.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
Technology saves lives. It also makes the average man not able to repair the later model's products.
The complexity of these vehicles is out of the average backyard mechanic's hands without factory scan tools or 4000+ aftermarket scan tools and good luck on
diagnosing and resetting systems. I don't know what I suppose to post if someone has a comment not related to Kubota should I not respond?

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Won't be long before we have airbags on our FELs with long sticks being replaced by a small joystick.Of course back up cameras...
Here is an experimental tractor that had an airbag installed on it without the owner's knowledge. It went off accidentally while loading the bucket with some sand and knocked the operator off the tractor. The second picture is of the tractor operator being taken away.

air bag.JPG
Medevac.jpg

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Here is an experimental tractor that had an airbag installed on it without the owner's knowledge. It went off accidentally while loading the bucket with some sand and knocked the operator off the tractor. The second picture is of the tractor operator being taken away.
He obviously got what he deserved.

Had he been wearing his seat belt he would not have been knocked off the tractor...

Was he vaccinated?

:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 47704

But his beer didn't spill did it?

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
There is no way that anybody would put an airbag on a tractor. And the picture of that air bad is not what they look like when deployed somebody is pulling your leg. Also if you put an airbag system it would have to have a full cage and it would be for rollover side and roof systems also if you install an airbag without informing the owner that would be a big lawsuit big time. Where did you find this picture? Front-end collisions are not one of the biggest safety concerns roll. It is not practical. And not real. Actually, a backup camera would not be a bad idea, especially with a full cab.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There is no way that anybody would put an airbag on a tractor. And the picture of that air bad is not what they look like when deployed somebody is pulling your leg. Also if you put an airbag system it would have to have a full cage and it would be for rollover side and roof systems also if you install an airbag without informing the owner that would be a big lawsuit big time. Where did you find this picture? Front-end collisions are not one of the biggest safety concerns roll. It is not practical. And not real. Actually, a backup camera would not be a bad idea, especially with a full cab.
I was assuming his post was a joke. Beside what you mentioned, how did the tractor with deployed air bag end up in the building. ;)

D

Deleted member 47704

It was a joke and a funny one at that.
But Honda Goldwings have airbags.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It was an April Fools joke on TBN about 18 years ago. Henro was the first to be taken in on that joke and felt sorry for the poor operator. Those were the days when TBN was a fun forum. We didn't have Covid, but we did have Henro. He wasn't so obsessed back then.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
When you put pictures of fire trucks and ambulances makes it seem real. Especially when we talked about tractor safety and older vehicle safety, I can tell you that there is no way a car that was built before the 90s does not even come close to being safer. Sorry I did not get the joke.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It was an April Fools joke on TBN about 18 years ago. Henro was the first to be taken in on that joke and felt sorry for the poor operator. Those were the days when TBN was a fun forum. We didn't have Covid, but we did have Henro. He wasn't so obsessed back then.
I just realized the airbag was put in the wrong position. It should have been on the ROPS pointing downward. If so, it would hold the operator in the seat during a roll over if he failed to use his seat belt.

Of course, to be most effective it would have to be designed to be an air balloon, rather a simple air bag though.

What's up with engineers these days? To much use of CAD in design, at the expense of common sense!