Why do they make the F.E.L handle so long?

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
I have B-7800 LA-402 front loader and I cut the handle down about two inch's I like it better. Maybe you would too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have B-7800 B-402 front loader and I cut the handle down about two inch's I like it better. Maybe you would to.
I think your loader is probably a LA402, as the B7800 is the same tractor as my B2910, without the deluxe features. Mine has the LA402 loader. Not that it matters...

I've never felt the need for a shorter joystick control lever. But glad it works well for you the way you modified it.

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Better to have it long and be able to cut it down than have it too short and in need of lengthening. Good you were able to shorten.

Kubota doesn't sell their stuff customized or optioned for the buyers height.

People in the Netherlands AVERAGING 6' 1" while some S.E. Asian countries average sub 5'. Hard to satisfy everyone with a one size fits all product..

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Welcome. A lot of people have reported this feeling on various models and have trimmed them down. Mine is newer but I agree. I have not done so yet but probably will.

some liken it to a bus, old truck shifter or the old ratfink hot rod cartoons!

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
When new, things are stiff, and I guess they expect some learning curve time for most folks. Having a longer lever makes fine adjustments easier. Once the detents loosen up a bit and it takes less force, having a shorter lever might be more comfortable and your hand has to travel less to have the same effect than it would on a longer lever. Like was mentioned before, easier to shorten than to lengthen. Glad it works well for you.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I lengthened mine to resemble ape hanger handlebars

Ape-Hangers-2.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I cut mine down too much, about 8" (maybe only 6". I forget) but it was a bit too much - I wish that I bent it out of the way instead of just cutting it out of the way. It is much more sensitive being shorter. You need to think before you move it.

In the photo, I cut the FEL shaft down to the yellow line (+/- there abouts) to about the same size of my extra spools. The green is how I wished I bent the FEL shaft....

Either way, I put a step on the right side and wanted/needed to exit both ways off/on the tractor. Moving the FEL lever was a step towards that....

Attachments

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It's not as sensitive if it is longer. Fwiw, I've never thought about changing mine. Maybe mine just fits me.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
Why do they make the F.E.L handle so long? Here are some Pictures sorry about the mess it was late. Also, these are the pins I use to swap bucket to pallet forks it makes it a little easier. Also, I was thinking that all are arms are not as long as everybody else in the world

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
One of the first mods I did. Its actually a tube so I could run the wires for the 3rd function through it.

2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Why do they make the F.E.L handle so long? Here are some Pictures sorry about the mess it was late. Also, these are the pins I use to swap bucket to pallet forks it makes it a little easier. Also, I was thinking that all are arms are not as long as everybody else in the world
I like the shot of the Jeep in its natural state (not moving with the hood up) - LOL

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
I like the shot of the Jeep in its natural state (not moving with the hood up) - LOL
Yes, it is my last car I will restore it has been in the family since it was new. Being this is Kubota forum I will keep at that. It is 1968 V6 odd fire engine 160 HP.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
Cutting the F.E.L . I got on it and forget that I cut it so it did not make a control concern. Other than being more out of the way there was no difference. It also seems to help the rattle concern that the LA-402s had also some fresh wave washers.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
NHSleddog said:

Yes, it is my last car I will restore it has been in the family since it was new. Being this is Kubota forum I will keep at that. It is 1968 V6 odd fire engine 160 HP.

Aww, come on now...!! Go easy NHSledog - I've been using my jeep as my original firewood tractor for decades.
It's better than a swiss army knife and I'll never be without one

D

Deleted member 47704

Welcome. A lot of people have reported this feeling on various models and have trimmed them down. Mine is newer but I agree. I have not done so yet but probably will.

some liken it to a bus, old truck shifter or the old ratfink hot rod cartoons!
I plan on putting an 8 ball on mine.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
I plan on putting an 8 ball on mine.
Here is a little-known fact. The Jeep CJ5 rolls over so easily, even at low speeds, that it has a higher fatality rate than anything else on the road, including motorcycles. I did put a wider wheelbase and shocks. I have maybe put 100 miles on in 20 years. It got 37000 and no rust.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The Jeep CJ5 rolls over so easily, even at low speeds, that it has a higher fatality rate than anything else on the road, including motorcycles.
I don't agree that CJ5s roll over easily. But, I'm also not quite understanding why CJs are in a tractor thread about FEL controls. ;)

D

Deleted member 47704

Here is a little-known fact. The Jeep CJ5 rolls over so easily, even at low speeds, that it has a higher fatality rate than anything else on the road, including motorcycles. I did put a wider wheelbase and shocks. I have maybe put 100 miles on in 20 years. It got 37000 and no rust.
Been driving a CJ-5 for close to 50 years, never had a problem.

D

Deleted member 47704

I don't agree that CJ5s roll over easily. But, I'm also not quite understanding why CJs are in a tractor thread about FEL controls. ;)
Well you could also say what are FELs doing in a Jeep thread.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha