Why all the fires...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This was posted on a friend's face book page. She & her husband are independent loggers and active in the industry's politics. Author of the article is Bill Imbergamo.

As these fires burn in California and Oregon (and elsewhere, but boy, these two states are putting on a show right now), I thought I'd share some information about the conditions on California's National Forests provided by one of my board members, mostly based on Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis and research done by FS researchers. Caveats: Not all the fires burning are FOREST fires, some of them are brush, grass, and chaparral, all highly flammable landscapes that are a whole other issue when it comes to land management. But the fact is the Forest Service grounds in CA are badly overstocked, the result of over a century of fire suppression and several decades of little management. This isn't about "raking" (ahem), nor is it only about climate change (although there is no doubt that climate change is playing a significant role here). Anyway, it's background knowledge like this that led me to pen that op-ed I shared yesterday. So now you can know what I know:

National Forests in California Forest Service Inventory & Analysis (FIA): In 2010 – average of 295 live trees/acre and 17 dead trees/acre for a total of 302 conifer trees/acre; 2015 data shows 302 live conifer trees/acre and 18 conifer dead trees/acre for a total of 320 conifer trees/acre.

Very recently, Dr. Malcolm North, Forest Service Pacific Southwest Research Station, found that in the 1860's, California's forests had on average 64 trees/acre; average diameter of 26 inches; 32% canopy cover, while in the 2010’s – on average, there are 320 trees/acre; average diameter of 14” inches, and; 65% canopy cover (“Creating a Resilient Landscape Using Recent Research on Reference Conditions. Reforestation, and Owl Habitat” (February 2020).

In other words, on average, National Forest acres have 5 times the number of trees they have historically supported, these trees are 46 percent smaller, and the canopy (where the tops of trees touch) is twice as dense as it was historically. You subject a forest in that condition to climate change, this week's fire weather, and years of on again, off again drought, and you've got a real problem.

"We have a Forest Health problem. There simply is not sufficient water throughout any given year to sustain tree density on average 5 times greater than historic stands that were resistant to wildfire, insect, and disease."

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
‘Cat - many years ago, the same happened to the Pine Barrens of New Jersey.
After the area was populated, fires were not deemed proper.
Unfortunately, Jack Pine was the predominant species of the ecosystem. Jack Pine relies on periodic fire to open it’s cones to release the seed.....
No fire, no regeneration.
No regeneration, kiss the ecosystem goodbye.

Some, not all, of the western conifers require a similar scenario.
They were designed to have small fires on a regular basis.
We let the stocking get too heavy, and it’s a bad burn.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
This guy has an alternate viewpoint on the wildfires.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
As someone who owns forest land and lives in the area of several fires...I could go on for pages with all the contributing factors...

some of the main factors are the extreme curtailment of logging and active forest management...mostly due to endangered species act. The state and feds have changed a lot of management tactics as well over several decade. The logging/land clearing permits that are issued are expensive, hard to get and contain many expensive “mitigation” requirements.

as mentioned in D2s post...there have been substantial modifications to what/density the land contains. From the lower grasslands/scrub areas up thru the standing timber lands...we have failed, as a state, to coalesce around a strategy to maintain the environment and take necessary steps to limit wild fire damage once it occurs.

remember, that some of our forests require fire to release seed to replace the actual forest...so fire is not bad...unmitigated fire storms are.

we also have not spent money on resources to actually fight fire, manage forest land adequately and to educate the public about how to harvest and maintain trees in areas near development. In the Tahoe basin you could be arrested for cutting a tree down up to a few years ago...yep...had a big fire...destroyed a bunch of homes....now you are required to clear around your house...including trees!

also, after these big fires...years long environmental review is required to be conducted before anything can be done. This ends up letting burned standing timber rot, erosion and dried out underbrush to flourish...and yep...it burns again before they even start to clean up the last fire...

then There is the cost of housing...which has been driving more and more into the foothills to live. We have been populating the lower dry areas and wooded areas for decades as people who want to live here...can’t afford the city and live in the distant suburbs...

short list...but some food for thought...

hey D2...mind mind is open to thoughts!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The spotted owl put a lot of loggers and saw mills out of business in Washington and Oregon. Insult to injury was the state of California insistence to introduce the barred owl who considered the spotted owl a tasty treat.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What is the root message here? So the forrests used to be populated by large trees and around 32 percent canopy density. What happened to the large trees?

All removed by loggers and forrest replanted heavily with seedlings?

Seems like human activity may be the cause of the current situation, in more ways than just climate change.

Do not know and fortunately for the wife and I, everything stays quite green in western PA, even with what we call drout conditions...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All I know is that a lot of the water issues out there can be attributed to the unbridled vegetation sucking it up. Not that I want to live there anyway. Up here, water is never an issue, got the Great Lakes 10 miles from the farm.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Had the forest circus survey my land a couple decades ago. They said the area we are in has approximately 1000-1200 tons of fuel per acre. Fuel consists of leaves, pine needles, stumps, dead and down trees, dead standing snags, and assorted slash left from logging operations. (in the past, loggers were not required to clean up their "leavings") They told us that they considered 300-400 tons per acre a healthy forest, from a wildfire standpoint. Combine this with 100 years of suppressing all fires that would have thinned out some of this fuel, and you have a recipe for wildfire disaster. On top of all of this, Arizona has arguably the worst, weakest enforcement of fire prevention rules, regulations, and laws. 80% of all wildfires in AZ are human caused. It's a wonder the whole state isn't charcoal.
I nearly lost my place (and my Kubota) to a wildfire 2 years ago, (burned 800ft away) that was caused by an illegal abandoned campfire. And of course, they never caught the criminals who did it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: although there is no doubt that climate change is playing a significant role here

this is pure 'poppycock BS'...CC has ZERO to do with starting fires. ALL of the fires have been man made, either directly from campfires, sigs or gender reveal parties , the indirected ones are caused by forest mismanagement. Not cleaning up deadfall, not allowing loggers to properly log, etc.
For over 3 decades I've seen the destruction of 10s of millions of acres of forests, loss of wildlife,homes and humans. So I wrote the guvs here and yours with a 9 step program that would totally control 'wildfire' destruction, make money,save homes and lives.
crickets ,all I heard, never a reply for any department of any government.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
pretty typical of california they don't know how to manage natural resources properly, and a bunch of other things too. Just look at their policies that the governor comes up with, some of it is absolutely dumb

hence, many are fleeing the state

I have neighbors who moved here from San Jose area. I welcomed them but also mentioned that california will stay on the left coast cause we here don't like "california". In other words, you're in our state now, don't like it move because we ain't caving in to your home states' way of doing stuff

what's crazy is that their old place at san jose was a 1280 sq ft home in a neighborhood with all the houses close together, they sold that house there and bought THREE houses here, with money left over...and the house that they live in (the other two are cheap rentals) is over 3,000 sq ft and on 6 5/8 acres.