Why <1% Moly spec for Kubota recommended grease?

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I have a bunch of 3% lithium moly grease, but the manual for my new LX3310 + snowblower has a majority of grease points referencing using grease with <1% moly content. Seem like a weird spec. Most moly's are 3% including Kubota's own. I am new to small tractors, what harm could be done by using a 3% mol grease in this case? Obviously if a big deal I will just buy some general purpose HP lithium, but would rather use what I have if I can.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You may be misreading the recommendation.... Kubota is recommending a Moly grease which is at a minimum of 1%. The 3% you are using exceeds that so you’re good-to-go.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
You may be misreading the recommendation.... Kubota is recommending a Moly grease which is at a minimum of 1%. The 3% you are using exceeds that so you’re good-to-go.
Thanks for the reply, but here is a snapshot from the manual:

1609340025068.png

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I asked my dealer about grease, he said "any grease is better than no grease"....and they call tell right away when people aren't greasing their machines. :geek:

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I asked my dealer about grease, he said "any grease is better than no grease"....and they call tell right away when people aren't greasing their machines. :geek:
I asked the same question to the service manager. He said modern grease has come along ways and the issue is using it more so than which brand to use.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
My best guess at this point is they don't want me to use a Moly grease for these parts and are using a very odd way of saying it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
OK... I made the mistake of leaping to the conclusion you were discussing your FEL greasing recommendations, since only FEL is suitable for Moly grease.

And THAT is the issue here: Moly grease is suitable for pins, etc.... not bearings or most other points because the Moly is so anti-friction the rollers will slide and be damaged rather than rotate.

Sooo... it appears they are simply warning you to avoid Moly type greases in that particular application. (Sorry for the earlier “leap”.)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: not bearings or most other points because the Moly is so anti-friction the rollers will slide and be damaged rather than rotate.

hmm.. wonder what 'Moly ' they put in trannies for the past 50+ years.... ?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
These are snowblower parts, so different temp and application expectations. I don’t remember what manual for mine says, will look when I go out in barn later.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yep, no residual crud around the pivot points.....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Molly want a cracker................. 😀

Reactions: 1 user

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
So moly is ok for my FEL and backhoe, but I should not use it on my mid PTO driveshaft on my front mount snowblower?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I recall when Harley Davidson advised not to use synthetic oil in their engines because it was so slippery it caused "bearing skate" bearings would slide rather than roll. Of course after HD finally started marketing synthetic oil themself it was ok.....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
From Nitroonline (a lubricants company): http://www.nitronine.com/different-types-grease-uses/

Greases containing molybdenum disulfide as an additive are used in many heavy-duty, load-bearing, demanding situations such as in construction equipment, railways, farm machinery, etc. Specific everyday uses for molybdenum grease include:

• CV joints
  • Ball joints
  • Steering linkages
  • Pivot pins
  • Kingpins
  • Worm and helical gears
  • Splines
  • Pinion gears
As well as just about any other heavily-loaded, low-speed application. It is also serves as a good multi-purpose grease. Its exceptional ability to reduce friction, however, makes it unsuitable for high-speed bearings (such as needle or roller bearings), as the rollers/needles need a small amount of friction in order to rotate a full 360° and perform as they should. Otherwise, they develop flat areas along the length of the rollers/needles and eventually stop rotating, thereby reducing the bearing's performance and resulting in a sooner than expected replacement.

Reactions: 1 user

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
From Nitroonline (a lubricants company): http://www.nitronine.com/different-types-grease-uses/

Greases containing molybdenum disulfide as an additive are used in many heavy-duty, load-bearing, demanding situations such as in construction equipment, railways, farm machinery, etc. Specific everyday uses for molybdenum grease include:

• CV joints
  • Ball joints
  • Steering linkages
  • Pivot pins
  • Kingpins
  • Worm and helical gears
  • Splines
  • Pinion gears
As well as just about any other heavily-loaded, low-speed application. It is also serves as a good multi-purpose grease. Its exceptional ability to reduce friction, however, makes it unsuitable for high-speed bearings (such as needle or roller bearings), as the rollers/needles need a small amount of friction in order to rotate a full 360° and perform as they should. Otherwise, they develop flat areas along the length of the rollers/needles and eventually stop rotating, thereby reducing the bearing's performance and resulting in a sooner than expected replacement.
So do I need to disassemble and clean the moly out of the u joints, or can I just start using the correct type of grease going forward?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
actually the synoil dripped out faster than regular oil.......
LOL so that was the reason!

Interesting info from Nitroonline. I have two grease guns one with Kubota grease which has Moly and the other which has synthetic grease but w/o moly. I've used only the Kubota moly grease on my tractor which is ok but I think I've used it on my Ferris ZTR, including the mower spindles, a few times. I'll make sure not to use the Kubota on it anymore.

So thanks for starting this discussion MNVikingsGuy..