Who's running a flail mower on a BX?

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Anyone? Which one?

I have a few various lawns or yards that I mow. Only one of the about 1/3 acre is actual manicured. The others range from 1/4 to a bit over an acre. The MMM on the BX does fine on the manicured lawn. But the others are mostly weeds and find I have to constantly back up to get it cut. I've tried everything with the MMM between blades and adjustments. Ssooo I'm thinking about flail mowers.

Thoughts??

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Haven't used one in about 20 years, but had one on my Bolens HT23 that worked like a charm. They can be quite noisy and sometimes have a vibration, but other than those 2 things, I can't see why it wouldn't work well for you. Do you even know if one is available for the BX tractor?

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
The Woodmax FM-54 would probably be a good match. I have an FM-62H for my LX2610 that is only 19 PTO HP and it runs it very well.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Haven't used one in about 20 years, but had one on my Bolens HT23 that worked like a charm. They can be quite noisy and sometimes have a vibration, but other than those 2 things, I can't see why it wouldn't work well for you. Do you even know if one is available for the BX tractor?
There are a few companies that have small 48" models. The little BX is right at the bottom of the requirements. First I've heard about noise and vibration concerns. Videos I've seen don't sound any louder than the MMM. I'd be running blades not hammers if that makes a difference>

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
The Woodmax FM-54 would probably be a good match. I have an FM-62H for my LX2610 that is only 19 PTO HP and it runs it very well.
Does it work well with tall weeds? We have a couple places that we let grow and I only knock it down a couple times a year just to keep it from getting overgrown. Some of the stalky weeds I have to continually go back and forth with the MMM.

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
I have the Bestco 48 inch medium duty for my bx23s. I use it for trail clearing and weeds on the property. Works great. I have the hammer blades as I dont really have grass area.
I would recommend it. I went the cheaper route because I only use it twice a year.

Reactions: 1 user

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I have the Bestco 48 inch medium duty for my bx23s. I use it for trail clearing and weeds on the property. Works great. I have the hammer blades as I dont really have grass area.
I would recommend it. I went the cheaper route because I only use it twice a year.

That's the one I'm actually leaning toward. Anything on it that you are not satisfied with?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: We have a couple places that we let grow and I only knock it down a couple times a year just to keep it from getting overgrown.

possible solution.... cut it more often ! Especially BEFORE they 'go to seed' !!!

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
re: We have a couple places that we let grow and I only knock it down a couple times a year just to keep it from getting overgrown.

possible solution.... cut it more often ! Especially BEFORE they 'go to seed' !!!
We have reasons for letting it grow. First the soil is clay and getting anything to grow is a major undertaking. Second is we have bees and the wild flowers that grow are beneficial.

Was looking for people with real world experience with flails.

Now back to the topic.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US

And another reason for the flail is dust and dirt. As mentioned stuff doesn't like to grow in the clay and there are bare patches. The MMM raises a cloud of dust and the blades are constantly needing sharpening from the dirt.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If your MMM raises a cloud of dust i"d imagine a flail will do the same thing.

I have 3 flails. All have the "Y" flails. On the 7 footer I have the height adjusted with chains so I'm cutting 8-10" high. That might help to keep out of the dirt and leave more plant for the bees.

The picture with the silo is cut with the chains regulating depth/height. You can see in the background the height before I started.

Attachments

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
WoodMaxx FM-62 with Y-blades behind my B2650 is amazing for tall grass and brushy stuff.

If the grass is really thick, I have to go pretty slow, but it’s fast otherwise. The 54” model would be nice with your tractor.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
48” rotary cutter is way cheaper for that purpose.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Does it work well with tall weeds? We have a couple places that we let grow and I only knock it down a couple times a year just to keep it from getting overgrown. Some of the stalky weeds I have to continually go back and forth with the MMM.
Same as rotary mower be it mmm or 3 point,when weeds get tougher or taller shift to lower gear or take half swaths.

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
I went with the smaller heavy Betstco flail mower to assist in reclaiming some property in my tree line with a mixture of materials. I chose to go with the hammers for mulching and grass cutting. I wanted to stay within my rear tire footprint. My BX spools up very well, I have to mention I do have tire ballast and wheel weights which assisting in any possibility of any vibration created when cutting over larger debris and branch's. I use it to run along of my fence line where I'd rather not run my zero turn.
Yes a rotary is more cost effective for open field cutting and clearing, depending on what type of cut you want.
Don't forget under armor for your BX, cheap insurance against a downed windblown branch.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I went with the smaller heavy Betstco flail mower to assist in reclaiming some property in my tree line with a mixture of materials. I chose to go with the hammers for mulching and grass cutting. I wanted to stay within my rear tire footprint. My BX spools up very well, I have to mention I do have tire ballast and wheel weights which assisting in any possibility of any vibration created when cutting over larger debris and branch's. I use it to run along of my fence line where I'd rather not run my zero turn.
Yes a rotary is more cost effective for open field cutting and clearing, depending on what type of cut you want.
Don't forget under armor for your BX, cheap insurance against a downed windblown branch.

Thank you for your reply. So the hammers work fine for just plain grass? Does it cut the tall weeds in the first pass so you don't have to take another pass or two?

When it comes down to it will the flail cut as good or better than the MMM in grass, weeds and tall weeds? Not brush.

As for cutting anything more than grass and weeds,,,, about the biggest stuff I would cut with the flail is pine saplings far less than 1/2" diameter. Anything heavier I have a bush hog for the L.

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Thank you for your reply. So the hammers work fine for just plain grass? Does it cut the tall weeds in the first pass so you don't have to take another pass or two?

When it comes down to it will the flail cut as good or better than the MMM in grass, weeds and tall weeds? Not brush.

As for cutting anything more than grass and weeds,,,, about the biggest stuff I would cut with the flail is pine saplings far less than 1/2" diameter. Anything heavier I have a bush hog for the L.
Boatman, haven't had a chance to cut tall grass over 5" but found a few. to share, here's one with a gentleman and his Deere cutting two type of ground cover with hammers. My dad tests out his new flail mower, and I get free lawn service. (youtube.com)

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
For rougher grass and light brush, I’d choose Y-blades. Save the hammers for real brush!