Which would you get and why?

Dutchie

Equipment
Looking to buy
Feb 28, 2019
Nova Scotia Canada
Hello. Total newbie here. Both to the site and to tractors. I have 25 acres of woods with a new house that needs landscaping and a 1000’ driveway that will need to be maintained. I would like to use a tractor with a BH to do the landscaping around the house and then in addition to maintaining the driveway I will use it for firewood and maybe hauling some logs to get sawn.

I have decided on Kubota and am pretty much think the L series. I’m 6’4” and about 230 pounds so it’s nice sitting on something a little bigger the the B series.

So I got a quote from a local dealer for a L 2501Hst with a LA525 loader and QA bucket. (No BH yet.) and R4 tires. For $24, 840 taxes in.

On kijiji there is a 2012 L3200hst with a LA 524 loader with QA bucket, back blade, R4 tires (No BH yet) and it has 284 hrs on it. He wants $22, 885 taxes in.

Which would you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The used one has the goodies and is a little larger, but likely lacks warranty, you probably need cash.

The new one is smaller, no back blade, but has warranty and financing options.

Which one works better for you in terms of your needs? See what wiggle room you can get on the prices of each, or if incentives are available.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Always keep one thing in mind and that is....

The tractor you buy, you might think is big enough but in reality isn't. With 25 acres and a thousand foot driveway, you might be hamstrung.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello. Total newbie here. Both to the site and to tractors. I have 25 acres of woods with a new house that needs landscaping and a 1000’ driveway that will need to be maintained. I would like to use a tractor with a BH to do the landscaping around the house and then in addition to maintaining the driveway I will use it for firewood and maybe hauling some logs to get sawn.

I have decided on Kubota and am pretty much think the L series. I’m 6’4” and about 230 pounds so it’s nice sitting on something a little bigger the the B series.

So I got a quote from a local dealer for a L 2501Hst with a LA525 loader and QA bucket. (No BH yet.) and R4 tires. For $24, 840 taxes in.

On kijiji there is a 2012 L3200hst with a LA 524 loader with QA bucket, back blade, R4 tires (No BH yet) and it has 284 hrs on it. He wants $22, 885 taxes in.

Which would you get?

You paying cash on both?
OR financing them?
Private sales......cash needed or go to bank and get $ with financing ....
Dealer should offer a great low rate .....the interest on the used may end up being higher than the new one with a lower interest!

New - full warranty
Used.....not sure if any warranty is left.

If paying cash on both - that is a decision to be made
BUT
if financing both....dealer will have a better rate (good credit that is) over a bank.

That close - I would go with new! My 2 cents

Dutchie

Equipment
Looking to buy
Feb 28, 2019
Nova Scotia Canada
The price I quoted for the new one was a cash purchase price to keep it apples to apples. They do have 0% for 72 months with 10% down but the financed price was taxes in is $26,910.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'm your height and about 25 pounds heavier. I bought a new B7500 Kubota in 2002 and replaced it with a new L3200 in 2012. As was mentioned above, buy big enough. I recently bought a used L4240 to get a few extra horses and A/C. The "new" tractor is about 4 years older than the L3200 it will replace. The comfort and features made it worth the switch for me. It is a pre-Tier IV and had 977 hours on it.

Buying used this time (no warranty) was a concern for me, so I'm not expecting buyers to be breaking my door down when I list it for sale.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
For the price difference, I would go brand new all day long.
Bit smaller yes, but the L2501 is an economical work horse.
Purchasing new comes with full warranty & you break it in, service & maintain it right from day one.
Down the road, if you decide to trade in or sell, Kubota's hold their value.
Good luck out there..

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I'd suggest getting the biggest NEW tractor you can comfortably afford with the attachments needed right off the bat. Kubota's zero interest options are hard to beat.

You will really never have one to big and if what you can afford is actually to small it will most likely still get all the work done it just will take more time. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide on. EDR

Last edited:

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Welcome to the forum. What part of Nova Scotia are you in?

If you check out 'GP outdoors' on YouTube, he uses a B2601 (one size up) for all sorts of stuff including hauling wood and clearing a very long driveway. He does a lot of reviews on various attachments to give you an idea of the toys... um... tools that could be used on your 25 acres.

Depending on how much work you have in mind for the backhoe, renting a mini ex could be a good solution if it's only a few jobs. If you have a lot of work, over a long time you might want to look in to a B26TLB or the bigger brother, L39TLB.

If you're set on just the two you listed, then I'd go new with warranty. The Kubota site also says 0% for 6 years. Not sure if it's for all or select models.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with a Kubota.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
The L2501 is a nice tractor. I wound up with a B series because it the L was just too big for what I needed. About your 25 acres.....how much of it do you plan on working? I have 5 acres but I cut about 3 acres and use the machine for driveway maintenance and mowing for the most part. If you are going to play around in the woods a bit and maintain your driveway the L2501 will be fine.
Keep in mind that a new backhoe will add about $100 a month to your payment.
I can't think of anyone I could hire that could work for that little and do as much.
My only regret is not getting a backhoe when I bough my machine.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The L3200 is tempting.. Slightly bigger than the L2501 and no emissions stuff. I would be more partial to new as well though.

drs5082

Mar 3, 2019
US
I bought a new L2501 back in October. Love it. I suggest you shop around as the price you were quoted seems high compared to what I paid. I got the L2501 4wd, HST, LA525 loader with QA bu bucket, a Land Pride grading scraper (GS1560), and a landpride 50" tiller (RTA1250). Out the door proce was about 23K financed for 60 months. I'm located in Southeast Washington.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
That looks perfect for what I need. Hope you enjoy

Being from Canada wouldn’t you rather have a cab tractor? I live in Missouri and there are times I wish I would have bought one. I have the MX5800 and if I didn’t want a cab tractor I would recommend this one. It has all the power, extra weight, heavier axles, and stronger loader. You have a fair amount of land. Don’t cut yourself short. Easier to buy more now than trade up later and lose money.