Which L model is best for me?

Saywhen

Mar 20, 2016
Crandall Georgia USA
Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum and I'm tractor shopping pretty hard. I'm looking at package deals on L models. I have never owned a tractor but operate heavy equipment on a daily basis, so ease of operation for a beginner isn't an issue I don't think.i mow 2 acres of yard with a zero turn so I'm not interested in a model with a belly mower. I have 4 horses and 2 pastures totaling about 5 acres. I will be needing to bush hog,clean up blow downs,move a little dirt,pull a few fence post,clean up a few ditches, and things of that nature. I also will be having another 3 acres cleared in the near future for a small orchard. I want to make sure I'm getting the right tractor the first time around. I'm strongly considering the 2501 and the 3301. I will be using a 5ft bush hog,58" tiller, and an auger for the most part. I like power but I don't want to spend the extra money on the extra horsepower if it's not necessary. Either unit will be 4x4 and have a FEL. A few folks I know that have had tractors for years are telling me a 25 will be enough for what I'm going to be doing. Since I've never owned a tractor I want all the input I can get from everyone with more experience than myself. Will the 2501 pull a 5' bush hog uphill good? Will I be straining it on 5 acres bush hogging? Why is the lift capacity on the 2501 @ 24" on the 3 point hitch around 500 pounds more than the 3301? Those are just a few questions I have. I'm mainly wanting advice on which direction to go on them. The price difference is around 3k. And it's 0% financing for the rest of the month so I think now is the time to buy. I've been working myself to death around here. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'd go with the 3301 with cruise control, telescoping stabilizer bars, right side grab handle, minimum of one preferably two rear remotes then add expanded metal to the grill guard.

My personal preference is a Grand L, but they are really expensive and won't do anything for you the 3301 won't.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don't know what the difference in price is but I would lean toward the 3301. I have a L3000 that I do most of my work with around the house and farm. It's big enough to get some real work done but still small enough to work in the yard.

Probably either one will work fine. I believe you'll enjoy the extra power with a 5' bushhog. Remember, you can get implements at the time of purchase for the same 0% interest. I had a yard full of new toys the day mine was delivered.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I got EXACTLY what tripple r said. Well, a L3200. 2 remotes on the rear, and I even welded in expanded metal on the grille guard. Do that for sure. I also added a 3rd function and a thumb to the bucket from greens machine shop and a top and tilt kit from mtnviewranch on this site. You will be really happy with the 3301, I dont know that I would go any smaller for what you want to do.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
3301 is good. The only thing I would add is HST and get the rear tires filled. HST is very user friendly, especially if you are doing any amount of loader work.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dittos...

I bought a used L3800 (37.8 hp) and I occasionally find myself having to run it all out to get something done. There is no substitute for ponies. Efficiency is nice but running your machine flat out all the time will take its toll. I like to run mine about 80% most of the time.

I wouldn't go any smaller than the 3301 if the overall size isn't an issue in use or storage.

Good luck!

Ray

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well everyone kind of likes their tractor the best, so I'll throw mine in the pool, tne L3560. You may be able to get one for a reasonable price, and I've noticed a lot of things that are standard on it are things people add on to tbeir base tractors. I didn't think I'd care about some, but I've found I appreciate them. It has a bigger frame, which may or may not be helpful. If you are going to deal with tne dpf and regeneration, the monitor that tells you how close it is to needing it is useful so you can pay attention. The seat that swivels is helpful, and that may be on the 3301, but after an hour of trying to look over my shoulder I am grateful for a couple of inches. You can use a quick hitch without hitting the taillights on a 3560. Find a dealer that has both on the lot and see if the differences are worth it, there are many more.

Takota

Equipment
L3301
Jan 27, 2016
Sanford, Fl
Just got a L3301 with FEL and a 5 foot brush hog. it was $20,400 delivered. It was only 1600 more than the smaller one. One question is how big/tall are you? I'm 6'4" and felt a lot more comfortable on the 33 than the smaller unit. I have about 60 hours on it in the last 6 months and absolutely love it. Had minor issue with a computer reflash that was needed for a crank sensor fault. The dealer came out and picked it up from the house to do that part of the repair. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
Bought my L3901 last August, now has 120 hrs. on it with no problems at all. I love mine.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Im 5'4" so Im probably good to go for either model. Im actually leaning towards the 3901 for an 900 bucks I don't see where I can go wrong.
Well in that case I don't see how you can go wrong.

Several years ago I went to but a 35HP as a companion to our other tractors and came home with a 50HP and was "happy, happy, happy."

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
I have horses and acreage L3300 fel bucket dual rear hydraulics etc quick attach three point hitch 6ft snowblower and a too light rear blade homemade bale prong set up for the bucket and a 5 ft tiller all work well allowing me to blow snow till whatever I need and to lift and place 7' bales of hay med square oh yes also a 3pt post hole auger-- better to rent or borrow this seldom gets used. if you want to lift with the 3pt a big bale mover from tractor supply works very well good luck I would not want any smaller unit