Which implement

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I'm sure that someone here has had this chore.
I have a yard with several depressions because of poor initial grading and / or the decay of tree roots or stumps under the surface....at least that's what it looks like. My intention is to have some top soil delivered which I will spread around to fill these depression and holes and make the yard a bit smoother. I currently have a box blade and a FEL which was invaluable in resurfacing my gravel driveway. But for what I want to do are these implements the right ones to be using? I see value in a rear blade or perhaps a landscape rake but are these something I should consider for these topsoil projects? Let me say that I do not want to spend the money on a land plane so take that out of the equation. I do realize how efficient they are but that's quite a bit over my budget. What I do is for my own property maintenance.
If anyone has done what I am planning I would appreciate any and all advice. And I do know that this is the place to get it.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Box blade can do wonders. You can play with the top link to find the sweet spot for grading, and you will have to lower/ lift your blade to fill/ cut areas. But take your time and it will come out great. You can get off the tractor and walk out away from the area, kneel down, and look at your grade. It won't be perfect, but you'll be surprised how close you can get.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think we all tend to over think work. You have a tractor with a loader. That is all you really need. Put the dirt in the low spots and level it with the bucket. In the end it may take a bit more time than with a $500 rake, but you become a better operator working with fine grades.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Missouribound, I have some of the same problems in my yard that you describe. I have depressions from soil settling that I have to fill in too. Because I have a very rocky yard I do more filling and smoothing over the dirt that I put in the depressions, than grading.

When I first started work on my yard I used a box blade to grade with, but I found that to be unsatisfactory because of the amount of rocks that I have. I am sure that if I had normal soil that the box blade and loader would be enough to do a very good job, however; I think that your soil condition will play the biggest part in what implements will be the most effective for you.

From what you describe in your post, I would suggest that you start by using your loader to fill in the depressions, then compact the soil and smooth it by back dragging the bucket. A roller can help you compact the soil if you want to go that route but it may not help much because of the decaying tree roots and stumps that you describe. If you have a lot of decaying tree roots under the surface you will be fighting the same problem for potentially several years until the logs have fully rotted, or if you decide to pull them out.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Thank you armylifer.
Here in the Ozarks we grow weeds and rocks.
I mow about 3 acres of the 5 I own. When I moved here 12 years ago the yard looked pretty good. That's because the previous owner spread a thin cover of topsoil over the ledge rock and seeded it. After 12 years of rain much of it has run off and exposed the rocks. Mower deck repair, blades broken and flat tires aside I have kept it maintained. I am glad that most if not all responses encourage me to use what I have. My desire to purchase implements sometimes overcomes the actual need to own them.
I know you are right about the roots but that's not too big an issue for me. Much of living here in the Ozarks is a work in progress. Besides I can always use topsoil for some planting. Pulling out the roots is out of the question....unless I get a backhoe.....ha ha.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Just to fuel your desire to buy new implements I suggest that you buy the backhoe... just kidding maybe:D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm going to agree with others....loader and/or box blade can do what you need to do.

Just have to adjust your top link out to tip the box blade back so it is riding on the rear blade. That will it will carry material and smooth as it goes....not dig in with the front blade.

Shepbear

Equipment
B2650, SSQA 60 inch bucket, QA with BB1260 box blade
Jun 1, 2016
San Tan Valley, Az
I have a b2650 with a feel, bucket, piranha toothbar, and a landpride box blade. I fill in holes with the bucket, backdrag the high spots, and then box blade the entire area. I also have a light chain link drag, which I attach to my Kawasaki Mule and drag the area to finish the grade. I find this procedure works fine for most applications. If the ground is really hard, or has stuff in it, I sometimes put the teeth on the box blade down far enough to break up the soil after filling the holes, and then back drag, etc.