Which Cyclone Rake?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
After starting a recent thread on picking up grass with my BX1870's front end loader, I'm now easing into the idea of spending the money for a lawn vacuum. My primary interest is creating compost for the garden and to fill in some low spots throughout the property. I've got 5 heavily wooded acres, but only about an acre or so of lawn. However, I've got neighbors with much more turf, and I know some will happily let me collect their leaves and their grass clippings.

The two manufacturers that seem well regarded and are near my budget are Cyclone Rake and DR. But I'm leaning Cyclone Rake for the name brand engine (B&S Vanguard) and smaller storage space requirements. While both have their fans, the CR also seems to get better reviews overall, and especially for outstanding customer service.

So if I go with the Cyclone, I'm still trying to decide which model. Price is absolutely a factor.

I'm leaning toward the Commander, which is the second smallest/cheapest, for the following reasons:
  • It's got about 70% of the larger models' capacity, so not puny in comparison
  • The 6.5 HP Briggs is the same engine as the next larger model
  • By not going with the largest capacity, I'm hoping to skip the expense of the double wheels upgrade that can handle more weight
  • Save some coin

Of course there's a tendency to go all out and get the top of the line, out of fear of buyer's remorse if nothing else. But this Commander feels like it hits the sweet spot for me.

Can anyone with Cyclone Rake experience share their thoughts on the subject. Sheepfarmer--I'm looking at you since you mentioned yours in my other thread. Thanks!

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
With only an acre i would say you could get away with a lawn sweep rather easy. My sweep works well on my 3 acres of lawn/leaves. The cyclone rake does look like a pretty fancy unit though. 3+ times the price of a sweep though aswell.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think I got the 3d size but not the largest. I have about an acre of leaves, and have a nice compost pile going. It is a life saver in the fall. Besides my leaves the prevailing winds pile up my neighbors' leaves against my fences. I don't often have to collect grass clippings unless I get way behind on mowing, but it does a great job with my old Ingersoll. In theory it could be adapted to work with the mmm deck on the B2650.

I did get the double wheels because I wanted to be able to back it in to my mulching area over some pretty rough ground. Not sure if they were necessary. I have wished for the battery powered lift assist for the dumping. If the cart is full I have to rake some out before dumping, or find a second person to help lift it. Conclusion bigger is not always better.

They are very well made, directions for assembly are ok, but it took me a while to get it together. Had a specialized engine mount bolt wear over 2 yrs because it wouldn't stay tight (and I didn't check it often enough) and they sent two no problem. Fitting issues were handled well with the exception of a part that was out of stock.

I am happy with mine.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
With only an acre i would say you could get away with a lawn sweep rather easy.
Yeah, if it were just my property, I'd skip it. Using the side discharge mower to shred and pile the leaves works well enough without too much raking, or, as you say, a sweeper for a couple hundred bucks. It's getting at the neighbor's leaves that's sparked my interest. Oddly, they don't all value seat time on a tractor the way I do. Weird.

Your location only gives the state, but here's a unit on Craig's List. Don't know how far you'd have to travel to look!

Saw that one, and something similar even closer, and it's tempting. But while I've had good luck with small engines I've bought/maintained new, I've had terrible luck with previously owned stuff. And I'd have no where to keep such a monster out of the elements. But I do appreciate you looking!
Conclusion bigger is not always better.
Exactly what I wanted to know--thanks! A number of reviews have said the same thing on the larger models--cumbersome. That's making it easier for me to justify the 285 gal. capacity over the 415 gal., and save a few bucks.

Greatly appreciate the OTT community--certainly the nicest, most supportive forum that I frequent!

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
One other question: While Cyclone Rake sells a three point hitch attachment point, seems like I should be able to use my Omni Combo trailer hitch, drilling holes to match the required spacing for the two attachment points. Anyone see an issue with this, and anyone know what the spacing might be? I'll ask the Cyclone folks, but suspect they may be keen on selling me their hitch. Also wondering if just a standard 3ph drawbar would work. E.g.:

The CR 3ph has a top link attachment, but I can't see what purpose that serves.

Thanks again for the help!

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
Can anyone with Cyclone Rake experience share their thoughts on the subject. Sheepfarmer--I'm looking at you since you mentioned yours in my other thread. Thanks!
I've got the smallest CR on my bx 1880. I have lots of flower beds and tight turns to negotiate and it works great. Bought it off craigslist and I would recommend trying to find one used. They can be had for cheap and since they are so well made you won't have issues. Customer service is really good too.

Jeff

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Somewhere on OTT is a thread where someone mentioned issues with a 3 pt hitch, maybe relating to raising and lowering mower also raised and lowered 3 pt and the connection to Rake. Might have to put stops on your lever so you don't tip it too far. Also if you get the battery start it adds a couple of inches to the front and on mine it wouldn't then clear the tires on the Ingersoll.

The CR sales staff will take the time to discuss this, I ended up texting pictures and measurements back and forth. However the first mower adapter was wrong so they sent a different one no charge. It is not a trivial matter to fit these things to a bazillian different mowers, and so be prepared to have to modify something, either with or without their help.

Actually if one fits Jeff's BX ok it should fit yours assuming they are models from the same series?

Last edited:

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
You will have to pay about $100 to get the boot that fits your mower deck. You may need a longer hose depending on who you buy the used CR from. If they had a little garden tractor probably need longer length of hose. I bought mine from a guy that his hooked on to an older tractor and my hose is just long enough to connect properly to both machines. You can, but don’t have to buy the hose from CR. Lots of it sold online.
As far as attaching it to the tractor, not that difficult. See my pic.
Oh and to prevent the rear 3 pt from going up and down, move the two top bolts to the stationary position. The rear 3 pt will lift the entire CR off the ground easily if you keep it in your current set up.

Jeff

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Somewhere on OTT is a thread where someone mentioned issues with a 3 pt hitch, maybe relating to raising and lowering mower also raised and lowered 3 pt and the connection to Rake. Might have to put stops on your lever soshowthread.php you don't tip it too far.
I think I found that thread here:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27640&highlight=cyclone+rake+hitch

Opinion was divided, with some thinking it's no problem for the Cyclone hitch to go up and down with the 3ph, and others wanting it to remain at a fixed height, i.e., not affected by changes to the mower deck height. One argument for the latter being that the Cyclone motor might not lubricate itself well when tilted too far. I'll generally have a good distance to travel from where I collect grass/leaves to where I dump, so I expect I'll often want to shut down the Cyclone motor. But maybe not always, I dunno.

You will have to pay about $100 to get the boot that fits your mower deck. You may need a longer hose depending on who you buy the used CR from.
Thanks for the pic Jeff--looks like your newer BX1880 has two sets of attachment points to fix the 3ph lift arms, where as my BX1870 just has one, and it's pretty high. I think I'd need longer lift arms (as documented in the above linked thread) to keep my CR level. That would get to be a pain, especially since I also use a quick hitch, which is heavy and awkward to take on and off.

What are your thoughts on keeping the 3ph hooked up normally, and raising/lowering the Cyclone Rake when you change the deck height?

And thanks for the tips on the boot, too.

Jack

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
What are your thoughts on keeping the 3ph hooked up normally, and raising/lowering the Cyclone Rake when you change the deck height?

And thanks for the tips on the boot, too.

Jack
I didn't realize I could move it to the fixed position, so for a while it was going up and down when I raised and lowered the deck. I could raise the deck about half way before I would start to raise the CR. If you have a larger CR, it will be longer and have more play so you may be able to go completely up with the deck without lifting the CR. When my CR is completely full, I shut it down and then go to the leaf pile otherwise it is shooting leaves all over the place. They come out of the air hole on top or whatever it is called.

Jeff

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
I bought a used TracVac tow behind vacuum last year off craigslist for $400. After seeing it in person next to my neighbors cyclone rake I would say there is no comparison in the build quality and value, the TracVac is way more havy duty than the CR. Mine is a monster, the only thing that I can complain about is the 11hp Vanguard engine is a gas hog!

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I bought a used TracVac tow behind vacuum last year off craigslist for $400. After seeing it in person next to my neighbors cyclone rake I would say there is no comparison in the build quality and value, the TracVac is way more havy duty than the CR. Mine is a monster, the only thing that I can complain about is the 11hp Vanguard engine is a gas hog!
I'd definitely go that route if I could get one at that price, but there's nothing near me on craigslist at the moment, and what I am seeing further out is quite a bit more for equipment that shows a lot of age/neglect. New, they're way over budget.

I will say that big rigid steel TracVacs do look awesome, but I'd have to get another shed to store one out of the elements. Love how the Cyclone folds up for storage.

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
I have the commercial pro on my 1870 and it works great. It will get a little light on the steering as it gets full but nothing I can’t deal with. It does get heavy to dump when full so I will sometimes dump early. I was always set on buying a trac vac but all the used ones always have duct tape wrapped around the hose from the constant bending while turning cracking the hose. I like the CR because the hose stays straight which also helps from clogging. I have no problems with my 3 point hitch I just position the mower deck and just lower the 3 point back to a level position. I think you would be happy with the commander model but I would recommend the dual wheels.