When the wind decides to turn a barn into a chicken coop!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station. JD4100 for sale
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That would be very much appreciated and I agree that 10' would be a good height from the floor to the underside of the trusses.
I got home early today and snapped some photos.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not sure how things work where you live, but here in New Jersey, unless you get a public adjuster, you will get ripped off. The insurance company isn’t working for you, they are working for themselves and trying to pay out as little as possible. I’ve have severe wind damage three times. And hired a public adjuster for them all. Even with the money they charge. You still make out way better. Just my 2¢ Best of luck

Rich
"public adjuster"........was .not needed at all in my case!
I had a major fire loss (years ago), and used only the USAA adjuster.
Great guy, .....very fair.....absolutely no issues!

Obviously though, every situation is different.

mcmxi

Equipment
MX6000HST, MX6000HSTC (on the way) LP, EA & RI attachments - GL7000 generator
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am confident that mine would also survive those conditions. He welded frame never creaks or moves.
One of the problems with the barn that collopsed is that the side facing the wind was a flat 15'x40' wall. I want a symmetric pitched roof to reduce the wind load.

mcmxi

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@jyoutz, thank you so much for all of those great photos. You have a fantastic barn there and it'd be a dream to have something as nice as that. I hope I can post some photos in the next year that show a structure as well built, functional and practical as what you have. Thanks again and much appreciated.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
@jyoutz, thank you so much for all of those great photos. You have a fantastic barn there and it'd be a dream to have something as nice as that. I hope I can post some photos in the next year that show a structure as well built, functional and practical as what you have. Thanks again and much appreciated.
You’re welcome. When I bought the place, I thought that the span distance between the trusses would be a problem. But 17 years later it has withstood high winds and 3+ feet of snow without any damage. I think the thick walled tubing and purlins provide the strength needed to withstand these events. I have been working inside with 60+ mph winds and have never heard the structure creak. Welding the structure together instead of bolting makes everything rigid.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Are those flourescent bulbs?
I just changed my 34 four footers, and 24 eight footers to LED.
Much lower cost to operate, and much longer life.
No need to replace fixtures, just rewire to bypass ballast.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Are those flourescent bulbs?
I just changed my 20 four footers, and 24 eight footers to LED.
Much lower cost to operate, and much longer life.
No need to replace fixtures, just rewire to bypass ballast.
Yes they are. I’m going to look into doing that when my current box of bulbs is used up.

mcmxi

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A State Farm adjuster showed up this afternoon. He drove here from CO! He's estimating around $40k to replace the structure but I'll know in a few days how much they'll pay out. He did say that if a contractor comes back with a quote that's greater than the pay out, they'll cover the difference ... within reason.

Reactions: 1 user