When the stealth bomber flies over

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was at a VT football game many years ago , the stealth bomber flew over - pilot was a graduate of VT...
It was weird, almost scary - not because of the size - but how quiet it was. And how slow it was moving.
You almost thought is was an alien spacecraft.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
In 2005 one of my sons and I took a motorcycle ride west. One of our stops was Rapid City SD so we could watch the fireworks display over MT Rushmore on the 4th (it was actually on the 3rd).
We got there early in the morning and camped out all day. Just before dusk they had a stealth bomber flyover. It was slow and when it appeared to go vertical and really open up those engines the entire countryside shook.

Fireworks

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I was at a VT football game many years ago , the stealth bomber flew over - pilot was a graduate of VT...
It was weird, almost scary - not because of the size - but how quiet it was. And how slow it was moving.
You almost thought is was an alien spacecraft.
I have felt similarly . Imagine trying to hide from one of those. Spooky.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
One of the more odd experiences I’ve personally had with military aircraft was with a non-stealth fighter, I believe an F-16 but not positive. I was driving a little Astro van on Hwy 264 through the Alligator National Wildlife Refuge between Manteo and Englehard. Speed limit was 55 and I was running about 80. The road skirts the coast most of the way and there is NOTHING for miles, but there is a practice bombing range used by the military, I believe using lasers rather than actual ordinance at least for the most part. I had heard they use it for supersonic runs by parking a carrier off the coast, break the sound barrier offshore, make their training run, and then back to the carrier.

Anyway, there was no one in sight, clear sunny day, and I see this fighter jet coming from my left running very low. As in I couldn’t tell what color uniform the pilot was wearing but I could see the pilot as he crossed the road slightly ahead of me. I heard nothing. There was no jet wash. It was like he was flying by some weird magic. He was out of sight by the time the noise and jet wash caught up and dang near put me in the ditch. Of course it made sense at that point, it was one of the supersonic runs one of the locals had told me about and he was outrunning his own noise.

That part was pretty cool to experience. Scary part was realizing he was there, could have done whatever he wanted to do, and was miles away by the time there was any sound. If I hadn’t happened to see him I would have had no clue what happened when the sound literally hit me.

Unlike many here, I was never in the military. Just what I know of it is amazing, comforting, and scary all at the same time.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh that was cool!

I've never been anywhere where something like would happen.

I enjoyed that....thanks!:)

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
When I was a kid, the Air Force used the field of huge oil tanks near my grandparents’ home for practice maneuvers. There’s nothing like eating lunch and having jets fly low over the house and rattle the dishes. 😳

Dad was running the combine one day when a pilot decided the Massey combine looked like a good practice target. He said he was awfully close to bailing out of the combine. Wonder if the pilot could see dad’s 1 finger salute?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I was lucky enough to be at Lambeau Field when the B2(?) did a flyover during the anthem back in the 90’s. Before 9/11, they could ’buzz’ the stadium. IOW really low. Got goosebumps watching the video and have them now just writing about it. Game was against the Cowboys IIRC.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
During my vacation time in south east Asia, it was an exhilarating watching b-52s dropping napalm

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I was lucky enough to be at Lambeau Field when the B2(?) did a flyover during the anthem back in the 90’s. Before 9/11, they could ’buzz’ the stadium. IOW really low. Got goosebumps watching the video and have them now just writing about it. Game was against the Cowboys IIRC.
If it’s the one I recall seeing on television it went over rather quietly and I was thinking it was kind of a let down. Then the pilot turned the nose up, hammered the throttle, and rocked the whole stadium. At which point it went from “what was that?” to “daaaamn!” I don’t recall the exact game but I do recall the lone B2 flyover.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
During my vacation time in south east Asia, it was an exhilarating watching b-52s dropping napalm
My son’s almost father-in-law (thank goodness he escaped her clutches before anything permanent occurred) was a commercial pilot who started out flying B-52’s in Vietnam and continued in the reserves which had him flying missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. He knew what they were doing but they were so far removed from the results he said it was about as exciting as flying a 747. He was kind of a weird dude.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
During the late 80's I did some work with the Boeing Commercial folks at the Everett plant where they assemble (at that time) 747 and 767 aircraft. Specifically I was helping a person in final shipping of the 767 main landing gear. During the job we saw that several sets of landing gear crates were being shipped to the Boeing Aircraft Acceptance facility at Moses Lake, WA.

It wasn't until years later we found out, that upon arrival at ML they were immediately drop shipped to the Northrup Co. Pico Rivera B-2 final assembly plant.

Also my Alaskan Malamute was born on the same day as the first flight of the B-2 Stealth Bomber, 17th July 1989. His name on the AKC papers included that name.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Steve - -

With all sincerity and my deepest appreciation, I want to thank you for your service.🇺🇸

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sorry I thought somebody was kicking a dog,, I didnt know someone was trying to sing. I think a couple warthogs flying over making that BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRATTTTT sound would be rel impressive