When is additional weight too much weight?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota tells you not to do this!
I would say it's too much weight!
So yea I say overkill.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Fifteen Minutes Wasted out of my life …i’ll NEVER get back…. 🙁

Reactions: 1 user

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I have a question. Why not? The weight isn't on the axle, it's on the tire. It adds to traction. I have a tractor with these, and 2 with washer fluid. Also you dont' have to watch the whole video to figure out what he's doing, you can skip ahead.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Yes Kubota says loaded tires are a no no on the BX23S backhoe model, but the 2380 has no backhoe! Not sure if this guy has weight on the 3 point but if no then why not wheel weights? Not that those two weights amount to much I would say he doesnt have enough weight on the rear of that machine for loader work. When I do loader work I have my BH on which is 600 lbs! Im going with underkill! LOL!

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a question. Why not? The weight isn't on the axle, it's on the tire. It adds to traction. I have a tractor with these, and 2 with washer fluid. Also you dont' have to watch the whole video to figure out what he's doing, you can skip ahead.
Oh NO! … if you Skip Ahead…. You may miss CRITICAL DETAILS of his Unique Method! The shift of that camera-angle was Very Revealing! …not to mention his insightful commentary about the particular use of a Swivel Socket!

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Those weights only add 100#, 50 aside, so what's the 'big deal'?

Tire/rim/rimguard is 128#, so now 128+128+100= 356#

Curious as to what stock tire/rim weigh, what rimguard weight is ?

The BX23S BH is 600+ pounds,so he's still weigh under 'spec'.

At least his video was in 'real time'. NOT like other that show a 15 minute job in 2 minutes !!

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I didn't watch the video.... I can't stand some of these youtube yahoos...

Anywho, my BX23S came from the dealer with Liquid calcium/ballast in the rear (turf) tires.

I recently bought a second set of R4 tires for winter/spring ... NO Ballast.

I don't see a difference in traction or stability ... For MY USE.

I actually drained out most of the liquid from the turf tires.....
Now I can swap tires without getting a Hernia.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
'.

At least his video was in 'real time'. NOT like other that show a 15 minute job in 2 minutes !!
I much prefer videos that “get straight to the point”….. instead of long-winded introductions by producers who think we want to what THEM instead of the subject at-hand.

I am glad my tractor (which I bought used from the 2nd owner) had never had it’s tires filled with anything but AIR. I can do it if I choose….but have no need for it… and I know there’s no internal damage to the wheels/tires as the result.

I AM surprised to see that the rear tires are larger than standard.
This M4700DT …had a larger/more-hp brother….the M5400DT… Identical tractors except the M5400 governor was set at a hundred RPM MORE…to give it a few more HP… and the M5400 also had a wider rear tire…(16.9-28) vs the M4700 14.9-28) …but the same front tires (9.5-22)
The selling dealer (a Kubota dealer in Baytown, TX) had upgraded the rear tires to the larger M5400 standard…(16.9-28) when it was first-sold to Owner Number 1. I’m guessing because that area of Texas is known for “soggy low-lands” and perhaps greater flotation / traction was desired by the first owner.

I got this tractor 20 years later…with only 400 hours on it…and the tires still 90% tread.

Very happy owner, I am. :p

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Didn't bother watching the video. The guy's an effin idiot.
I would not consider the guy to be an "idiot", but he is apparently ignoring Kubota guidance (per IWM).

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
What “Kubota Guidance” is contrary to adding wheel weights?

IMG_2559.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
BX23s manual is equally ambiguous !
NO 'maximum' weight for ballast...
Chart for calcium based on temperature but about 100#s per tire
What does 'rim guard' weigh in at 75% tire fill ?
They do say REMOVE the ballast when not needed (aka mowing grass ? )
Also no ballast if BH is on.

BH weighs 600#s, so each rear could have 300# total, His rimguarded tires are 128#, and he added 50# of cast so about 1/2 the equal of having BH on, unless I'm missing something.

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
For my BX1880 the UM states:
Liquid ballast in rear tires
“The weight should be added to the tractor in the form of liquid ballast.”

On the following page it states:
“:To avoid damage of the transmission, do not use the rear wheel weights and liquid ballast at the same time.”

It DOES say don’t add liquid weight the front tires. Also, it doesn’t say anywhere you CAN’T add rear wheel weights. I opted not to get my tires filled.
Chains & Weights - Rear.jpg

I had weights (50# each) from the Craftsman 6500 the BX replaced – fit like a glove. I used two 1/2" threaded rods and mounted them without removing the tire. The max mixture of slush free calcium chloride at -47F equals 97# per tire so I think I’m pretty safe with 50# each. And I can remove them easily - just four nuts – for mowing and such. If I need more I hook up the ballast box to the 3 pt.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
BX23s manual is equally ambiguous !
NO 'maximum' weight for ballast...
Chart for calcium based on temperature but about 100#s per tire
What does 'rim guard' weigh in at 75% tire fill ?
They do say REMOVE the ballast when not needed (aka mowing grass ? )
Also no ballast if BH is on.

BH weighs 600#s, so each rear could have 300# total, His rimguarded tires are 128#, and he added 50# of cast so about 1/2 the equal of having BH on, unless I'm missing something.
The 26x12x12 tires take 8-9 gallons of Rimguard per tire and are approximately 25% heavier than water. The manufacturer says weighs 10.7-11 lbs./gallon depending on who is doing the mix. My local dealer charges $2.25 per gallon, and there is an hourly charge for the installation. It is the hourly charge that makes it so expensive. I have seen many videos showing how it is done with do-it-yourself pumps and hoses. I did check with the service manager, and he said that if I brought the containers, he would sell me enough to do my tires. I have some old tires that were filled with Rim Guard, and I am contemplating draining them and installing the old Rim Guard into my new tires. I will need to empty the tires to dispose of them anyway.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
My. Beating up the guy in the video. It's YouTube, not Hollywood. Cut him some slack. Ain't no banjoes playing and he's doing his best.

It's a tractor. So, a guy adds weight to it. Is it too much?... Maybe, maybe not. Different applications. I'd buy him a beer and give him a "salute'.

Jeez, we can be so harsh.

If Kubota says do or don't do this, you should follow the directive. But if it's out of warranty, it's all you.

I am not a fan of wheel weights or liquid ballast. Because I don't need it. But if I did... Go For It.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
My. Beating up the guy in the video. It's YouTube, not Hollywood. Cut him some slack. Ain't no banjoes playing and he's doing his best.

It's a tractor. So, a guy adds weight to it. Is it too much?... Maybe, maybe not. Different applications. I'd buy him a beer and give him a "salute'.

If Kubota says do or don't do this, you should follow the directive. But if it's out of warranty, it's all you.

I am not a fan of wheel weights or liquid ballast. Because I don't need it. But if I did... Go For It.

Gibberish.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
your Literature is for an M4700

we are talking about a small BX
That doesn’t answer the question. My post was only to show that adding weight to the wheel that already had filled tires…is NOT a general prohibition by KUBOTA….as was previously indicated.
—- "Kubota tells you not to do this!”

It MAY be a prohibition on certain models…but NOT a Maker/Brand-Wide prohibition…. and your response, John T, did not provide any useful information…. BUT THANKS TO BEE-POSITIVE…for doing so.

Last edited: