Wheel spacers and rear ballast

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi Guys,

I live on a hilly lot... not much level ground anywhere. I've read that wheel spacers add too much stress to the rear axle, but I've also read that they are perfectly acceptable options.

I went ahead and got a set of 2" Bro-Tek rear spacers. In reading more, I stumbled across an old thread on another site where someone was saying not to use wheel weights and loaded tires, claiming the downhill wheel/axle would break under stress.

I have loaded R4 tires and will have 800-1000lbs on the 3-point (ballast or wood chipper). Is that going to be a problem if I have 2" spacers?

Thank you,
-Michael

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Michael,

first of all - spacers are a game changer, in the positive way. 2" Spacers will make a hellva difference in the "feel" of the machine! It will not place any crazy load on the rear axle either. Now I would agree that placed a 6" or wider spacers in there might change the physics a bit.:D

First thing about loaded tires......the machine DOES not "feel" the weight - the weight is transferred through the tire thread only, so NONE of this weight is carried by the axle, machine etc....... NOW if you are free wheeling down a large hill side - that extra mass will be felt as you try to stop.;)

With THAT much weight on the rear, you might need to weight up front, you have a FEL? if not - get some front weight too. IF FEL - load it.:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"... someone was saying not to use wheel weights and loaded tires, claiming the downhill wheel/axle would break under stress."

It's good that you inquire before possibly causing a problem, but because it was stated on the internet doesn't make it the truth. Well, I suppose, technically it will break under stress...but it may take 40-50 years. By then it doesn't matter, the remainder of the tractor will be in the same condition.

The person who put the information out on the internet about the axle breaking reminds me of a friend. Friend is so anal about everything I think he has a condition like ADHD, or similar. He has a kidney transplant and is required to consume a certain amount of water each day. He carries a gallon jug of purchased water, and pours it into a measuring cup before swallowing it through out the day! He insisted I had latex cloves on before he would hand me his O'rielly Auto torque wrench. :confused:

Don't put limitations on yourself throughout your life believing some of the "stuff" you hear/read.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Michael,

first of all - spacers are a game changer, in the positive way. 2" Spacers will make a hellva difference in the "feel" of the machine!
I couldn't agree more. I have a BX23S and before putting on the 2" Bro-tek wheel spacers, I definitely felt top heavy on hills. With them on, I feel so much more comfortable. I also have steel wheel weights on and they help keep the tractor planted to the ground too. Not to mention, I always have my 600# backhoe on. I have not seen any issues with having both the spacers and wheel weights on.

Tractors are made to move heavy things around... the bigger the tractor, the heavier things it can move. if they can't do simple things like that, then they really aren't tractors.