Wheel slipping

fransser

Jul 30, 2019
Sedgwick
About a year ago I posted a thread seeking advice on a suspected transmission problem. I noted that the wheel just kind of seemed to shudder. Here is a link to the thread if anyone is interested: Wheel shudder

Anyhow, fast forward a year and the problem has been identified. The good news is that there isn't any transmission issue (nor was there a problem with the diff lock like the dealer said last year). Instead, the problem is:
the wheel is slipping inside of the tire. I have video that the dealer took and you can clearly see that the rim spins while the tire remains almost stationary (shuddering).

So my question now is: do I need to replace the tire, the rim or both? Whatever I do to one side, I'll probably do to the other (though only the right rear wheel has been observed spinning/slipping inside the tire).

thanks

rgk66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
I had the same problem with by BX rear tires. They are loaded with beet juice, this allowed slipping between the rim and tire at low or manual recommended air pressure. The beet juice kept the seal good enough that the tires never went flat. I kept increasing the air pressure until the slippage stopped. Yes my tires are slightly rounded across the top now but they no longer slip. Once you get the slipping stopped the beet juice, is sticky enough stick the rim and tire together again and you may be able to lower the pressure some. I have left the tire pressure higher than the manual states and have had no tire problems, 2 years now.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
About a year ago I posted a thread seeking advice on a suspected transmission problem. I noted that the wheel just kind of seemed to shudder. Here is a link to the thread if anyone is interested: Wheel shudder

Anyhow, fast forward a year and the problem has been identified. The good news is that there isn't any transmission issue (nor was there a problem with the diff lock like the dealer said last year). Instead, the problem is:
the wheel is slipping inside of the tire. I have video that the dealer took and you can clearly see that the rim spins while the tire remains almost stationary (shuddering).

So my question now is: do I need to replace the tire, the rim or both? Whatever I do to one side, I'll probably do to the other (though only the right rear wheel has been observed spinning/slipping inside the tire).

thanks
If you go back and read post #9 in your thread from a year ago, I stated that was probably going on. I have encountered this on both BX and ZD series units.
You can either replace the tire or use a bead sealer which basically glues the tire to the rim.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
2nd on bead sealer ! Be SURE to CLEAN both rim bead AND tire bead with soapy water, rinse with clean, dry THEN apply the sealer. You could lightly run 400-800g sandpaper on the rim bead to cut the paint a bit to give better 'tooth' for the sealer to bond to. I also overinflate by 5psi, let sit for an hours or so, then deflate to correct pressure. While the last 2 steps are 'optional', I've done a lot of riding mower tires this way(too many) and so far no rim leaks.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

thanks
Not uncommon with tires filled with beet juice and without tubes.

Quite a job to thoroughly clean both rim and tire in order to remount with tubes.

Reactions: 1 user

fransser

Jul 30, 2019
Sedgwick
I had the same problem with by BX rear tires. They are loaded with beet juice, this allowed slipping between the rim and tire at low or manual recommended air pressure. The beet juice kept the seal good enough that the tires never went flat. I kept increasing the air pressure until the slippage stopped. Yes my tires are slightly rounded across the top now but they no longer slip. Once you get the slipping stopped the beet juice, is sticky enough stick the rim and tire together again and you may be able to lower the pressure some. I have left the tire pressure higher than the manual states and have had no tire problems, 2 years now.
I don't have beet juice. The stuff used around here is some type of biodegradable corn derivative. I don't remember exactly what the name of it is off hand. Anyhow, the ? I'd like to ask is how much above recommended pressure are you and do you have the R4 tires? Thanks

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Do with this info what you wish. If it was mine I would use these long before tossing or tubing a tire. Common practice in budget drag racing for ages, or where bead locks aren’t allowed.
DDD2C32F-3422-4D4F-8C25-C64B1BB7B69A.jpeg

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you go back and read post #9 in your thread from a year ago, I stated that was probably going on. I have encountered this on both BX and ZD series units.
You can either replace the tire or use a bead sealer which basically glues the tire to the rim.
I believe I’ve seen pictures of using some kind of screws in holes drilled the edge of rims on off road vehicles, to keep tires from slipping on the rims when low pressure is used to increase traction.

Wonder if this could be applied to a tractor tire when an issue appears like the OP has? Maybe not the best solution, but might be the easiest.

rgk66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
I don't have beet juice. The stuff used around here is some type of biodegradable corn derivative. I don't remember exactly what the name of it is off hand. Anyhow, the ? I'd like to ask is how much above recommended pressure are you and do you have the R4 tires? Thanks
I have the R4 tires, as for the current pressure I am unsure as the beet juice has ruined my tire gages (has stuck every one I used so only check visually now). As I recall when the tires were at the suggested pressure the top of the tires were flat across. They currently have enough pressure to be slightly rounded across the top, my guess would be an easy 5 pounds above recommended. I have a 400 pound weight on the 3 pt drawbar, and the tire print appears flat across on the bottom (checked on cement drive).

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA