Whats this sewing machine thing?

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Pretty sure this fits on an older (!) type sewing machine, but does anyone know what it's called and what it was supposed to do? Embossed on it is "AMSO", "D.B.P." and stamped underneath "Made in Germany".
Its about 6" wide, 1.75" high, and 4.5" long.
Thanks in advance.
AMSO (1).jpg

AMSO (2).jpg

AMSO (3).jpg

AMSO (4).jpg

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
That would be my guess as well, but just a guess as it kind of looks like the old Singer one my mom had

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Looks more like a walking foot. Used to ensure even feed of multiple layers or thick materials such as quilts. Works well when properly adjusted, but tricky to adjust. Needs to feed the material in sync with the lower feed dogs. It is powered by the up/down motion of the needle.

Reactions: 1 user

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Looks more like a walking foot. Used to ensure even feed of multiple layers or thick materials such as quilts. Works well when properly adjusted, but tricky to adjust. Needs to feed the material in sync with the lower feed dogs. It is powered by the up/down motion of the needle.
Thanks torch and guys! I have a button-holer and this seems to be an entirely different beast, so maybe it is a walking foot. It seems to be jammed up, no adjustments are free, so I'll dismantle it and see if I can make sense of it :) I have an old Singer 201K so if I get it freed up I'll try it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Please take a LOT of pictures AS you dismantle ! Get one little distraction ( a sneeze, a phone call, a coffee break....) and you might spend the next 2-3 DAYS wondering which screw goes where.......or worse, wondering WHERE the missing screw got to....(hint: on floor, behind garbage can where the dustbunnies breed... )

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Please take a LOT of pictures AS you dismantle ! Get one little distraction ( a sneeze, a phone call, a coffee break....) and you might spend the next 2-3 DAYS wondering which screw goes where.......or worse, wondering WHERE the missing screw got to....(hint: on floor, behind garbage can where the dustbunnies breed... )
Thank you, I will :)

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Too Funny!

Been too busy picking and selling sweet corn lately, so I'm late to the party.

I've never seen anything that quite looks like that one. I'd side with the "button holer" crowd......but that's just a guess. I don't think it's a walking foot. Would be nice to see it attached to the machine to get a better feel for how it might operate.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Pretty sure this fits on an older (!) type sewing machine, but does anyone know what it's called and what it was supposed to do? Embossed on it is "AMSO", "D.B.P." and stamped underneath "Made in Germany".
Its about 6" wide, 1.75" high, and 4.5" long.
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 86755
View attachment 86756
View attachment 86757
View attachment 86758
JohnDB, there's a number of "vintage sewing machine" websites that you could post your pics on and someone would most likely know all about that accessory. One such site is: www.victoriansweatshop.com
There's some real vintage sewing machine gurus on that site! LOL! Will be interesting to hear what that gizmo actually does.

Our singer 201 series machines are great sewing machines!! I have the 201-2 which I think just preceded your 201K.

Lots of places to find pdf manuals and service manuals (usually for free) online. If you're in need of something like that.....I can help you find those.

You might also get lucky by using "Google Lens" on your smart phone with some pics of the device as it would sit when attached to your machine. Worth a try.

David
Edit: This thread on the victoriansweatshop site would get you an answer quick if you posted your pics there.:)

Last edited:

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
JohnDB, there's a number of "vintage sewing machine" websites that you could post your pics on and someone would most likely know all about that accessory. One such site is: www.victoriansweatshop.com

David
Edit: This thread on the victoriansweatshop site would get you an answer quick if you posted your pics there.:)
Thanks so much David, I've done that just now. I'm OK for manuals for the 201K, I am keen to find an operating manual for a Husqvarna class 21, so I'll ask there too.

John

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks so much David, I've done that just now. I'm OK for manuals for the 201K, I am keen to find an operating manual for a Husqvarna class 21, so I'll ask there too.

John
Hi John,
What a coincidence! I have a good friend that has that machine and I don't think he's ever used it. I believe he's got the owner's manual with it. I'll find out.....and if he does......I'll scan it and could send you the files until you could find an actual copy. His is the "free arm" style portable. Nice machine!!
David

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Hi John,
What a coincidence! I have a good friend that has that machine and I don't think he's ever used it. I believe he's got the owner's manual with it. I'll find out.....and if he does......I'll scan it and could send you the files until you could find an actual copy. His is the "free arm" style portable. Nice machine!!
David
David that's very kind of you. There are several versions of the class 21 - mine is the bog-standard 21, I have the manual for the 21a which is fairly close but having an electronic version of the manual for the 21 would be great.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Too Funny!

Been too busy picking and selling sweet corn lately, so I'm late to the party.

I've never seen anything that quite looks like that one. I'd side with the "button holer" crowd......but that's just a guess. I don't think it's a walking foot. Would be nice to see it attached to the machine to get a better feel for how it might operate.
Yip, must be a button-holer. Thanks for putting me in touch with the victoriansweatshop site, they were very helpful. I hadn't wanted to dismantle it until I'd exhausted all possibilities for positive identification. In the end it came down to pulling the cover off and this is what I found (sorry about photo quality):
AMSO cover off (1).jpg

AMSO cover off (2).jpg

AMSO cover off (3).jpg

In each photo you can see part of an internally toothed aperature, which is similar to templates on other buttonholers I've seen. The template is not removable so I guess the adjustment knobs must allow it to produce different size buttonholes.

Mystery solved!

Thanks for your feedback everyone. When I get it going I'll post a test drive report :)