What's it worth ? : Non running Ford 9N - See pics.

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Well.... Guys... What'a think it worth..?

Had it for a number of years up at our camp. It was a pretty decent tractor, but as it wore out, dad kind'a cannibalized it.

Rear tires are about 18-20 yrs old. Very good condition. ( Front tires are fairly new too. )
The one that is on backwards.... probably 5-6 yrs ago, has a new rim, tube and is filled with beat juice.
The other is filled with calcium, new rim on that one when dad got the tires.

Up till about 3-4 yrs ago, its been inside.
But.... in order to make room for other stuff, she got put outside.

Well.... I don't have the time to restore it, and with the 3710, I got no use for it,.... so I plan on throwing it on Craig's list.
Its gotta be worth something..... I'd like to get a few bucks for it.

But... have no idea on how to price it.

Shoot me your thoughts. :unsure:

Its located in 14787

Attachments

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Wait until the monkeypox stimulus money drops then list it for 5K. But if youre in more of a rush i think no more than $800 non running.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
List it for $1000 be prepared for offers that are much less.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its worth what ever anyone is willing to pay,, and I fear that not going to be much

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
It depends on how much hassle you want to put up with. as a tractor for sale maybe 800 or 1000 it will take a week or a month to get rid of. but as parts maybe 2000 of more one part at a time it may take years to get rid of. On the other end of the spectrum a junker may pay you a couple hundred and its gone in a day. On the other hand they are a fun tractor to work on and if you get it running and working it maybe worth a lot more than you think 3000 maybe more restored this one is 3500 CAD

1653310772368.png

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Check with a local Ford Model A club. The father-in-law's model A club had several members that collected and worked on the old N8/N9. His damn near killed me 30 years ago.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just my memory the 9N was 1939, the first of the N tractors. Followed by the 8N and 2N. I can’t tell any of them apart.

I’ve seen the clamshell fenders go for $65 each, tires and wheels have value. Other parts as well.

There were a lot of N’s made and many exist still. Good reason; great little machines.

The others are right, anything north of $5-700 is bonus. If wheels and body panels are pristine, maybe a few extra dollars in the current climate of not being able to get new-stock parts.

Just guessing you could almost order all new parts to build that tractor on line.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It's a rare collectors edition antique worth one million dollars. Note the opposing direction treads on the rear tires...that was an option on that model year.

If you haul it to the reckers you might get $0.15/lb if you remove the wood parts first.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well.... Guys... What'a think it worth..?

Had it for a number of years up at our camp. It was a pretty decent tractor, but as it wore out, dad kind'a cannibalized it.

Rear tires are about 18-20 yrs old. Very good condition. ( Front tires are fairly new too. )
The one that is on backwards.... probably 5-6 yrs ago, has a new rim, tube and is filled with beat juice.
The other is filled with calcium, new rim on that one when dad got the tires.

Up till about 3-4 yrs ago, its been inside.
But.... in order to make room for other stuff, she got put outside.

Well.... I don't have the time to restore it, and with the 3710, I got no use for it,.... so I plan on throwing it on Craig's list.
Its gotta be worth something..... I'd like to get a few bucks for it.

But... have no idea on how to price it.

Shoot me your thoughts. :unsure:

Its located in 14787
I deal with N-series enthusiasts almost daily. I see nothing of collector interest on the tractor and its one of thousands. As is its a non-running $300-$500 tractor. Get it running its a $700-$800 tractor. The last non-running 8N I bought was 10+ years newer, a much improved model, solid sheetmetal, and came with a Dearborn 2 bottom plow and 5' disc. I paid $1000 for the bundle.

Dan

IMG_1360.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It depends on how much hassle you want to put up with. as a tractor for sale maybe 800 or 1000 it will take a week or a month to get rid of. but as parts maybe 2000 of more one part at a time it may take years to get rid of. On the other end of the spectrum a junker may pay you a couple hundred and its gone in a day. On the other hand they are a fun tractor to work on and if you get it running and working it maybe worth a lot more than you think 3000 maybe more restored this one is 3500 CAD

View attachment 80583
A friend has a 1950 model that he just mentioned he is going to sell.
His apparently has a loader, and back blade.
We all know that without power steering, the 8N loaders are really only suitable for moving feathers.
He is going to put his 8N front of the local hardware store with a $6,500 sign.

That is WAY more than most any 8N is worth, but could be,......in this area with many dirt roads, and many Summer vacation homes?
I would not be surprised if it sells for $5K.

I have a 1951 8N with a back blade and no loader.
Mine has the very desirable Sherman Hi/Lo transmission, and has a rebuilt engine ( 200 hours? ).
I am going to watch to see what he gets for his, and then price mine accordingly.
I suspect that I might get as much as $4K for mine. (just bought a new 6V battery yesterday)
As above, this is a Summer vacation home area with many dirt roads, that need far more maintenance than they usually get.

These old Fords are certainly not worth that kind of money, but if you have a dirt road to your Summer vacation home spot, well........maybe ????

I'll put up a post explaining what happened.......if/when it does happen!

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A friend has a 1950 model that he just mentioned that he is going to sell.
His apparently has a loader, and back blade.
We all know that without power steering the 8N loaders are really only suitable for feathers.
He is going to put his in front of the local hardware store with a $6,500 sign.

That is WAY more than most any 8N is worth, but this is an area with many dirt roads, and many Summer vacation homes.
I would not be surprised if it sells for $5K

I have a 1951 8N with a back blade and no loader.
Mine has the very desirable Sherman Hi/Lo transmission, and has a rebuilt engine ( 200 hours ).
I am going to watch to see what he gets for his, and then price mine in proportion.
I suspect that I might get as much as $4K for mine.
As above, this is a Summer vacation home area with many dirt roads.

These old Fords are certainly not worth that kind of money, but if you have a dirt road to your Summer vacation home spot........maybe ????

I'll put up a post explaining what happened.......if/when it does happen!
I 'd pony up $6500 in a heartbeat for this 8N but they actually wanted $25k. I suspect its a bit nicer than your friends....

Dan

unnamed.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I 'd pony up $6500 in a heartbeat for this 8N but they actually wanted $25k. I suspect its a bit nicer than your friends....

Dan

View attachment 80676
I saw pictures of that 8N a while back, as it sat on a dealership floor.
It is really not quite an 8N anymore though.
Has 4 whl. drive, and a lot of other good stuff.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I saw pictures of that 8N a while back, as it sat on a dealership floor.
It is really not quite an 8N anymore though.
Has 4 whl. drive, and a lot of other good stuff.
Its Jack Mcdevitt's project 8N with every aftermarket option he could find on it. It has a Funk flathead V8, an Elenco 4WD conversion, and a Sherman auxiliary transmission. He originally wanted a second Howard auxiliary transmission as well but the Elenco occupies that spot in the rear axle case. A classic Dearborn V-plow was later added to replace the truck plow in that picture. I got a miniscule piece of the pie with an aftermarket seat adjuster I was making. A kind and courteous man and a beautiful one of a kind 8N.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Its Jack Mcdevitt's project 8N with every aftermarket option he could find on it. It has a Funk flathead V8, an Elenco 4WD conversion, and a Sherman auxiliary transmission. He originally wanted a second Howard auxiliary transmission as well but the Elenco occupies that spot in the rear axle case. A classic Dearborn V-plow was later added to replace the truck plow in that picture. I got a miniscule piece of the pie with an aftermarket seat adjuster I was making. A kind and courteous man and a beautiful one of a kind 8N.

Dan
My 1951 8N also has the Sherman Aux transmission, which is very rare.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bought 2N (1947) and refurbished it,, never understood the left brake pedal next to the clutch pedal.
As a 'nonrunner'... maybe $500, as I consider it a 'parts' tractor. Obviously 'some assembly required' as well as a complete grey paint job is needed.
Also had an 8N, restored that from the ground up(1,000s in new parts...). fun ride,worked well in the small garden.
What you get depends on the buyer and area. Some places are littered with lil fords.....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My 1951 8N also has the Sherman Aux transmission, which is very rare.
Lots of times the auxiliary transmissions are worth as much or more than the tractor they are in.

Lots of Sherman transmissions were made and they are not really rare - 5 listed on eBay right now - six if you count the 15 spline one for the Hundred series. Combos go for $1K+, step ups for about $400. Creepers are harder to find and they sell for about the same as a combo. Most of the hard parts are still available.

A good Howard reduction transmission is a lot harder to find - most suffer from stripped reduction gears which are NLA and very difficult to reproduce. If you can find a good one expect to pay double or more what a Sherman combo brings and it will double the value of just about any 8N/9N.

Dan

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Bringing this one back to the top......TTT.
Well..... finally sold it.
Originally posted it on Market place and Craigs list for $750
Had a few inquiries soon after, couple guys asked for certain parts, or the tires, ( i wasn't ready to part it out just yet ) along with a few low ballers.... $200 , $300 range.... from the replies in this post,,, was looking for a bit more.
Had a person inquire from Craigs list....just texts, no phone call..
went back and forth with a bunch of questions.. " Yeah,,, Yeah... I want it "
So...set up a time for him to come out , he never shows.
Then it sat.... lowered it to $625.
Then a guy from the Market place ad inquired... another series of questions,,,, but he finally showed up, drove 2 1/2 hrs and took it away.
Got $550 for it.... I'm happy and its gone. :)

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Bringing this one back to the top......TTT.
Well..... finally sold it.
Originally posted it on Market place and Craigs list for $750
Had a few inquiries soon after, couple guys asked for certain parts, or the tires, ( i wasn't ready to part it out just yet ) along with a few low ballers.... $200 , $300 range.... from the replies in this post,,, was looking for a bit more.
Had a person inquire from Craigs list....just texts, no phone call..
went back and forth with a bunch of questions.. " Yeah,,, Yeah... I want it "
So...set up a time for him to come out , he never shows.
Then it sat.... lowered it to $625.
Then a guy from the Market place ad inquired... another series of questions,,,, but he finally showed up, drove 2 1/2 hrs and took it away.
Got $550 for it.... I'm happy and its gone. :)
Friend just sold his 8N with loader, and York rake.
Very good condition, but not mint.

As many here know, 8N's with loader are nearly impossible to steer with weight in bucket.
Put it in front of local hardware store.
Asked $6,500.

It all depends on where you live, and how badly a buyer wants it.
Sold in one day for $6K cash!

• Wow

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Drifthopper - - - you did just fine.

Fair price for both parties.